onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Chesterfield v Port Vale

Fosse69

Please share your thoughts before, during and after the match.

At least there is no mid-week distraction before the trip to the Spire town. Plenty of time to prepare, plan and pick a group of players to put a bit of pride into their performance. It is early days, players do not gel straight away after another change around, and early results are erratic until teams settle down. Have we played two mid table teams or a bottom and a top club? Injuries are taking their toll again, there is the need to bring in a midfield dynamo/general, but I have a feeling we will need to rely on our mixture of old heads and youth. Getting the mix right takes time, hopefully we will we more able to cope in this game, with a greater concentration on youth, things can only get better.

Advert

Would love to see a terrible 0-0 draw. Think we need to concentrate on clean sheets at this stage whilst we try and find a pattern of play to create chances over the course of the next 5 games.

Sent from my iPad using onevalefan

Judging on the performances at the weekend, if I was Brown I'd be totally brutal and drop anyone who underperformed. Therefore I'd go with:

4:5:1 - like at Crawley.

Hornby

Gibbons (surely he can't do any worse than Wilson has done in the first 2)

Kay

Smith

Denton

Tonge

Reeves

De Freitas

Whitfield

Pope

Turner

People might moan at Pope yesterday but I believe he will be crucial in away games.

I really have no hope for this one. They have not won in their first 3 in all comps. So that means only one thing, a comfortable 2-0 Chesterfield win. Brown making excuses for each goal. We can only hope I'm wrong but after watching the game yesterday all my hope has gone I'm afraid.

Sent from my iPhone using onevalefan

I am going to the game. I hope we are better than the two away games I went to last season at Bury and Bolton which were dreadful performances. I think we would have got a better outcome yesterday if the team was set up 451. I think the Chesterfield game should be started with a team set up that way. A question is whether the players who came on and made an impact should start? I think Tonge is am important player and needs to come back in if fit.

Lasg three seasons have been so safely say im not going especially after what i witnessed on sat .

Team well can u drop the whole team as i came away on 85 mins on sat and there wasnt one player i saw on that day who i thought he has played well (not one ).

So heres my team as u cannot be rewarded with another chance in this cut throat business of professional football.

Boot

Gibbons Gunning Kay Smith Denton

Whitfield Tonge Reeves Calveley

Turner .

a 5-4-1 with emphasis on tackling ,movement energy and desire a strong backbone .

Everything we didnt c on sat .

Turner is surprising me he is doing very well so put him Pyke and Pope were shocking sat but the midfield were not much use in fact they were no use at all so id drop the lot of them .

Smith was poor so if we do have go 4 at the back maybe Gunning and Kay or move Kay into midfield.

ADF was a headless chicen and montano and Harness lacked bottle .

So what makes u think they have it in them be better than what they showed sat .

Id like them shut me up .

Brown and the players owe us massively this Saturday, not just for the Wycombe debacle but for last season's surrender at Chesterfield, one of the most spineless and depressing Vale performances I've had to sit through. If one moment summed up 2016/17 it was Ryan Taylor putting that freekick straight out of play when all we needed was a decent delivery.

It says everything about our lack of options in midfield when most people's teams have got Billy Reeves in midfield. He is a player who is not yet ready for league football, I don't want to be harsh but not sure what he brings to the team, admittedly our remaining options are also very average. A midfielder is a must in the coming weeks. My team would be;

Hornby (Lainton if fit)

Gibbons

Smith

Kay

Denton

Whitfield

ADF

Tonge

Harness

Turner

Pyke

Montano is clearly not match fit and maybe he can be an option from the bench but at the moment, we can ill-afford any more injuries.

Archived