onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Relegated!!!

1977Valiant

Advert

Newport and Cambridge are the only new grounds for me. Now expecting Cambridge to sneak into and win the playoffs, whilst Hartlepool will pull off the great escape and send Newport down.

Cambridge is a nice place full of history, culture, lovely river with flat bottomed boats, and interesting places to visit. It has some good boozers too and I'll gladly make a few recommendations nearer the time.

But it's definitely NOT a footballing town. So you'll find the ground stuck out on the eastern edge of the town, on the Newmarket Road, a couple of miles from the train station and with very little parking other than on the nearby retail parks. The ground has been improved but it's still a dump. My best memory of it was watching the Blackburn supporters penned in the tiny away end (it's since been improved) chuck the ball over their heads into the wasteland behind every time it landed near them. They must have got through 20 balls that match :smile:

Depressing though to think that this is what we've sunk to.

Is it worse than Luton?

Nothing could be worse than Luton. Crawley, which I know reasonably well, is a new town - soulless and with no facilities. You'd never go there if you could avoid it. Think Harlow but with with more employment, thanks to Gatwick nearby. Sort of upmarket dump.

Really enjoyed my last visit to Crawley, just 25 miles away when I was still living on the south coast. We played them off the park. Louis Dodds gave us an early lead, Doug Loft scored a fine goal superbly created by young debutant Jordan Hugill and Ben Williamson for once showed skill and pace to seal a 3-0 win.

Although on one hand I'm saddened that Vale couldn't stay up, the other hand is saying welcome back to the Wham Stadium (Crown Ground)next season :smile:

One trip I will be looking forward to is Accrington.

If they think its worthy of applause then I think its best I move away from all this. It cleary isn't for me because I obviously expect something different from everyone else when someone is wearing a Port Vale top.

Gotta say I can see where you're coming from with this and your previous comment. I, too, was surprised that so many (in fact, the vast majority) were applauding a squad that has got us relegated (although certain individuals definitely did deserve praise and credit for their efforts over the season - chiefly Smith and Streete).

I didn't applaud, or abuse - I just simply left the ground after spending a few minutes taking in the reality of the utter **** of being back in League 2!

If Crawley is like Harlow its inhabitants have my full sympathy. I used to go to STC in Harlow some years ago and it was complete Dullsville, like Slough or Letchworth. However, even though Newport is a hovel it's like St. Tropez compared to Luton which is the worst place I've been to in the UK and that includes Glenrothes.

Cambridge on the other hand is lovely although, as pointed out, the ground is on the outskirts. Doesn't mean you can't make a weekend of it though. Best trip there I remember was a 3-0 victory with a classic Robbie Earle scoring performance and the away end catering facilities were excellent with a couple of old dears doing a line of home cooked style burgers and hot dogs at very reasonable prices. No doubt that's long gone!

Archived