onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players for next season

1977Valiant

Let's assume that we stay in LG1, who from the current crop of players would you keep/re-sign?

With a decent pre-season behind them I'd keep/re-sign today's spine

Smith, Bikey, Knopps, Pugh, Foley, Eagles, Taylor & Cicilia (squad player).

From those who weren't in the squad or were on the bench today I'd keep Streete, Thomas, De-Fraitas, Ameros, Kiko

Then I would build a team around these players with a decent Keeper (Perhaps Chris Neal) and an half experienced Striker + keep Hooper.

I'd release the likes of Mbamba, Shalaj, Purkiss, Yates, Lloyd, Johnson, Kelly, Tavares, Tanser, Pereira, Forrester

Thoughts?

Advert

Let's assume that we stay in LG1, who from the current crop of players would you keep/re-sign?

From those who weren't in the squad or were on the bench today I'd keep Streete, Thomas, De-Fraitas, Ameros, Kiko

Then I would build a team around these players with a decent Keeper (Perhaps Chris Neal) and an half experienced Striker + keep Hooper.

I'd release the likes of Mbamba, Shalaj, Purkiss, Yates, Lloyd, Johnson, Kelly, Tavares, Tanser, Pereira, Forrester

Thoughts?

Wouldn't you consider Mehemt, if available to sign, as he has come in and just kept consecutive clean sheets and looked very promising in my view. Depends on wages of course, but I would certainly think he is worth serious consideration if he continues as at present.

Wouldn't you consider Mehemt, if available to sign, as he has come in and just kept consecutive clean sheets and looked very promising in my view. Depends on wages of course, but I would certainly think he is worth serious consideration if he continues as at present.

I'm just undecided about Mehmet. I'd like to see Neal back as he was a 7/10 every week and perhaps Mehmet too as a backup (if wages allow)?

Thoughts?

Mbamba, Tavares, Pereira and Forrester are already under contract for next season so it will be costly to release them.

The Bambi situation really boggles my mind. From the little I've seen of him I can understand why he doesn't get in the team so how on earth did Norman manage to saddle the club with a mid-20's Conference North standard player on way above L1 average wages who's got a 2 year contract? Surely the Norwegian 3rd division doesn't pay that we'll? I strongly suspect that deal would reveal some interesting aspects if it were scrutinised by the FA, UEFA, the PFA or whoever.

Somehow Mbamba needs offloading. Maybe Norman could send him on a trip home to Zimbabwe and arrange for the delightful Robert Mugabwe to have him accidentally eaten by a lion (assuming he hasn't sold them all to rich scumbags to shoot for the 'fun' of it).

The Bambi situation really boggles my mind. From the little I've seen of him I can understand why he doesn't get in the team so how on earth did Norman manage to saddle the club with a mid-20's Conference North standard player on way above L1 average wages who's got a 2 year contract? Surely the Norwegian 3rd division doesn't pay that we'll? I strongly suspect that deal would reveal some interesting aspects if it were scrutinised by the FA, UEFA, the PFA or whoever.

Somehow Mbamba needs offloading. Maybe Norman could send him on a trip home to Zimbabwe and arrange for the delightful Robert Mugabwe to have him accidentally eaten by a lion (assuming he hasn't sold them all to rich scumbags to shoot for the 'fun' of it).

Smurthwaite himself admitted he got "carried away" when signing players last summer. I'd bet the agent touting these players was laughing his socks off when he got a deal for Mbamba.

Mbamba, Tavares, Pereira and Forrester are already under contract for next season so it will be costly to release them.

I would guess Mbamba, Tavares and Pereira would be pretty unhappy with not playing regularly and wasting their time far from home, and might be persuaded to leave for cut-price pay-offs. Nothing against them, but it is a sad but true fact that it hasn't really worked out for them.

Of course, there is always the chance that if we stay up, MB is made permanent boss, and trains them well with a full and proper pre-season then any or all of the 4 might look a lot more promising and contribute loads more next season.

Surely it depends on two important matters first who will be manager next season and which league we are in before which players we keep or which players want to stay

Agreed - the budget will dictate who stays or goes in some cases, just as it did last summer when it was used to get rid of Dodds and other important players.

Thoughts?

We're in the middle of a desperate battle to retain out L1 status and I really think now is not the time to have this debate. Players working hard to keep,us up being trashed is a not a great motivator.

It's also rather pointless as we do not know which league we will be in, which will affect our available budget,and the quality of players we can both attract and retain.

Lets just hope whatever league we end up in, assuming Smurf is still in charge, he has finally learnt lessons of previous summer failings and signs quality including a striker who can score goals - amen

Sent from my iPad using onevalefan

Agreed - the budget will dictate who stays or goes in some cases, just as it did last summer when it was used to get rid of Dodds and other important players.

Dodds had a clause in his contract that he could stay on the same wages but decided to leave.

Hope he enjoys L2 football next season sitting on the bench.

Archived