onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players for next season

1977Valiant

The worying thing for me is that quite a few other clubs are signing up there players, whilst we do nowt, Come on Smurf use your brain and get the best players under contract NOW ! Dont let them go for next to nothing in the summer !

Advert

We've already got 9 players, plus a few young players, under contract. Probably not the ones people would want - one or two aside - but they're ours nonetheless. That starts us off with:

Slinn

Smith

Knops

Kiko

Tavares

De Freitas

Pereira

Mbamba

Cecilia

Forrester

Turner (?)

Personally from that list I would get rid of Mbamba and Pereira - who have shown literally nothing - but that might not be so easy. Tavares depends on how high his wages really are, as I do think there is a good player there.

I would firstly offer contracts to the recent youth teamers as they look promising so far, won't be on much, and hopefully we can get them out on loan in the National League like Smith at Torquay. So that is:

Pickering OR Boot

Gibbons

Reeves

Johnson has had enough time, and with also having Slinn we don't need more youth keepers than two, so keep one of Boot and Pickering. Lloyd I assume will join Chester. Would have been interesting to see whether he would have made a MB team if he had been around, however.

That leaves the following players:

Yates - Been a good servant but isn't getting younger and may not have the legs after such a bad injury. RELEASE

Bikey - Looks good in the first two games but probably haven't seen enough of him yet. UNDECIDED

Purkiss - Had more stinkers than good performances I'm afraid and like Yates is getting on in years. RELEASE

Eagles - Looks fitter every game, has obvious ability, and can score. I think in him we have finally replaced Doddsy. I'd like to see him in the number 10 role next year rather than outt wide. KEEP

Pugh - Has looked solid coming in to replace Grant. KEEP

Mehmet - Two clean sheets but still a little nervous. With having 2 other youth keepers I would probably want someone with more experience. RELEASE

Shalaj - Hardly seen anything of him. Is he even still here? RELEASE

Thomas - Has looked good for us but has been injured a lot and is quite a bit past his peak. UNDECIDED

Hooper - Definitely promise there and still young. KEEP

Streete - Him and Smith have been brilliant this season. KEEP

Taylor - Too slow to be used as a winger. Could replace Purkiss as the clubs full back? Set pieces haven't been what we expected but he's still got goals and assists to his name. KEEP

Foley - Our engine. Give him the captaincy if Purkiss leaves. KEEP

Kelly - There is definite promise there, but he is fairly lightweight. I've been saying for a while that I think he would make a good number 10 rather than a winger. Have him follow Eagles around and learn from him, and see if he imrpoves by this time next year. KEEP

Tanser - Has looked equally good and poor since his arrival, so not sure. UNDECIDED.

Amoros - Another with promise, who will [hopefukky] benefit from a proper English preseason. KEEP

In total, that would leave us with a squad of 17, plus youth teamers. Another 6 quality signings and we should look a much stronger outfit next season.

I'd have Dodds back if Shrewsbury need to get rid of a few players wages in league two. McGivern and AJLS have shown their level (pub football).

Seems like Bikey might be a welcome addition to the club and I really fancey Eagles to have a solid season next year should Brown stay on and get the best of him. Hope we can keep hold of Streete and Foley. .

We are pretty much in agreement then, as I would have Dodds back as a good squad player, but not AJLS or McGivern. In fairness to AJLS though, he did his job and scored a fair number of goals for us last season, but if he'd stayed I don't think it would have been the same this time.

Duffy and Dickinson had some good points too, I wouldn't have them back but this season Dickinson could have provided the leadership our young but talented back 4 needed (Smith and Streete especially) to match their superb play - Bikey seems to be doing that now though so if we could keep him, then just maybe all will be well in defence.

I haven't seen Tavares more than 3 times. He may well settle better and contribute more, but the person who will make the decision about his contribution will be the manager, and if that is MB then I feel he wants as few 'foreign legion' as possible. I wouldn't be surprised if Knopps and Cecilia were the only ones left from Bruno's ex-pats at the start of next season.

It proves with experience results can be achieved, hope lessons have been learnt for next season Norman what ever league we are in.

Always important that lessons are learned. Need solid consistant hard working performers in midfield to give us a platform to win matches..if they have some quality too then all well and good. Win the fight first and the quality will then get a chance to shine..you'd hope that a Brown would know this but needs to be given the tools to do the job.

I don't think hes fit enough. I think there is a player in there somewhere but he would be a risk to keep.

If you cast your mind back to the early part of the season Forrester provided a really good focal point for the team until he got his first injury so I agree we have a player there IF he can get himself fit. I'd like to think a really good pre season behind him scoring a hatful of goals (like Pope did in the promotion pre season) he could be the main man but he needs experience alongside him.

Sent from my iPad using the onevalefan mobile app

If you cast your mind back to the early part of the season Forrester provided a really good focal point for the team until he got his first injury so I agree we have a player there IF he can get himself fit. I'd like to think a really good pre season behind him scoring a hatful of goals (like Pope did in the promotion pre season) he could be the main man but he needs experience alongside him.

Totally with you, I think with a run of injuries and the rumored bad fitness of the early season I think were not seeing the best of the guy. My worry would be if the wage budget is tight can we afford Hooper, Forrester and Cecila plus one more? I might be tempted to keep JJ over Anton as he is fitter and more known alongside Cecila (has a contract) and a solid addition whoever that is.

We've already got 9 players, plus a few young players, under contract. Probably not the ones people would want - one or two aside - but they're ours nonetheless. That starts us off with:

Slinn

Smith

Knops

Kiko

Tavares

De Freitas

Pereira

Mbamba

Cecilia

Forrester

Turner (?)

Personally from that list I would get rid of Mbamba and Pereira - who have shown literally nothing - but that might not be so easy. Tavares depends on how high his wages really are, as I do think there is a good player there.

I would firstly offer contracts to the recent youth teamers as they look promising so far, won't be on much, and hopefully we can get them out on loan in the National League like Smith at Torquay. So that is:

Pickering OR Boot

Gibbons

Reeves

Johnson has had enough time, and with also having Slinn we don't need more youth keepers than two, so keep one of Boot and Pickering. Lloyd I assume will join Chester. Would have been interesting to see whether he would have made a MB team if he had been around, however.

That leaves the following players:

Yates - Been a good servant but isn't getting younger and may not have the legs after such a bad injury. RELEASE

Bikey - Looks good in the first two games but probably haven't seen enough of him yet. UNDECIDED

Purkiss - Had more stinkers than good performances I'm afraid and like Yates is getting on in years. RELEASE

Eagles - Looks fitter every game, has obvious ability, and can score. I think in him we have finally replaced Doddsy. I'd like to see him in the number 10 role next year rather than outt wide. KEEP

Pugh - Has looked solid coming in to replace Grant. KEEP

Mehmet - Two clean sheets but still a little nervous. With having 2 other youth keepers I would probably want someone with more experience. RELEASE

Shalaj - Hardly seen anything of him. Is he even still here? RELEASE

Thomas - Has looked good for us but has been injured a lot and is quite a bit past his peak. UNDECIDED

Hooper - Definitely promise there and still young. KEEP

Streete - Him and Smith have been brilliant this season. KEEP

Taylor - Too slow to be used as a winger. Could replace Purkiss as the clubs full back? Set pieces haven't been what we expected but he's still got goals and assists to his name. KEEP

Foley - Our engine. Give him the captaincy if Purkiss leaves. KEEP

Kelly - There is definite promise there, but he is fairly lightweight. I've been saying for a while that I think he would make a good number 10 rather than a winger. Have him follow Eagles around and learn from him, and see if he imrpoves by this time next year. KEEP

Tanser - Has looked equally good and poor since his arrival, so not sure. UNDECIDED.

Amoros - Another with promise, who will [hopefukky] benefit from a proper English preseason. KEEP

In total, that would leave us with a squad of 17, plus youth teamers. Another 6 quality signings and we should look a much stronger outfit next season.

I agree with most of that with the exception of Pugh ,Hooper and Kelly.

Pugh- Has more than played his part but I feel we need to be looking for players with more legs and energy than he can provide.

Kelly- He's had 2 years now to unlock his potential and still can't do it. Not showing any signs he will anytime soon.

Hooper - I would release so give more funds to find a striker that can score 20 goals otherwise we will be left with the same strike force as this season which has not been good enough.

Bikey if he continues to play the same way until end of season is a must and I would make him captain given the noises coming out of VP about him helping the younger players.

On the keeper situ we need an experienced goalkeeper for Boot to sit and learn from and send Pickering out to a higher standard then he was at on loan this year whilst working with Slinny to see how he develops.

The worying thing for me is that quite a few other clubs are signing up there players, whilst we do nowt, Come on Smurf use your brain and get the best players under contract NOW ! Dont let them go for next to nothing in the summer !

Smurf did say we were talking to Foley and Streete but i am guessing that they and smurf will be waiting to see which division we are in...I would be hopeful that Foley will sign(unless offered -50%) if we stay up,unsure on Streete whichever League we are in but if we can get compensation for him and sign Bikey plus another young CB then i would be ok with that

Will Sheff Utd need Hanson in the championship? Don't think he's good enough for that league. 100k would be a good deal for both parties.

The problem is,its ok to say 100k etc BUT its what wage they want compared to what we pay...i would put money on him being on at least 4 or 5k a week there

The problem is,its ok to say 100k etc BUT its what wage they want compared to what we pay...i would put money on him being on at least 4 or 5k a week there

Considering he left Bradford to join Sheff Utd, & we recently lost a young striker to Bradford because of wages, I think it's extremely unlikely that a player who by that point will have been with Sheff Utd in a promotion season is going to take a pay cut & come to Vale. He'd be more likely to just go back to Bradford than come here, because they're guaranteed to pay him more anyway (plus it's in the same area).

Considering he left Bradford to join Sheff Utd, & we recently lost a young striker to Bradford because of wages, I think it's extremely unlikely that a player who by that point will have been with Sheff Utd in a promotion season is going to take a pay cut & come to Vale. He'd be more likely to just go back to Bradford than come here, because they're guaranteed to pay him more anyway (plus it's in the same area).

Depends on who is after a centre forward and whos availible I guess. I think Bradford signed a permenent target man to replace Hanson so probably wouldnt be going back there. That's IF he was availible, perhaps Sheff Utd will want him on the bench in the championship?

Vale currently have three stikers none of whom are consistent goalscorers. Forrester and Cecilia are contracted next season but Hooper isn't, also given Forrester and Hooper are similarish then MB has no other choice than to release JJ and make way for two new strikers who can put the ball in the net else Vale are going to struggle next season which ever league we're in.

Finding two players who can get into double figures goal wise next season is an absolute must.

As an aside, ideally all three should be released, Forrester is perennially injured, Cecilia is also suspect fitness wise and isn't good or physical enough for English professional football despite the better performance yesterday and Hooper for all his hard work isn't a consistet scorer.

Depends on who is after a centre forward and whos availible I guess. I think Bradford signed a permenent target man to replace Hanson so probably wouldnt be going back there. That's IF he was availible, perhaps Sheff Utd will want him on the bench in the championship?

The guy scoring for fun at Stevenage Matt Godden is out of contract in the summer,he is someone we would have more chance of getting imo or maybe one of the scorers out of the conference if they are out of contract.

On a side note and before anyone says i know its Leyton Orient but you have to try and get teams better players,i see they have clauses to say they are free agents if they go down,now i remember a winger at Colchester called Gavin Massey who was very tricky with a lot of pace and he is still around 24/25...maybe worth a go

Archived