onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Players for next season

1977Valiant

We have far too many players on short term deals and short term loans. Do these players really care if we get relegated as they won't be here next season?

I'd like to see us recruit players aged 22-26 with 50-100+ football league appearances under their belt and build a core that will grow with the team over the next few years.

Out of interest, since Glover left, who is doing our scouting? Is Darren Wrack still helping out? I feel we need to completely overhaul our scouting department as it's been terrible for years now. Where are the Brooker's/McPhee's/Cummins'/Bridge-Wilkinson's/Armstrong's?

Spot on

Advert

I would hope that players are scouted properly and that we don't end up making players like 3rd division Leek Town level Mbamba one of our highest paid players.

As Chris Birchall said we have paid more this season for 2nd rate players than we were prepared to pay last season.

It seems absolutley crazy doesn't it, get rid of experienced league one players and take a huge gamble on lower league foreign 'talent' and pay them equivalent or more money to those players that are deemed not good enough by a chairman no less.

Nothing good comes of a chairman putting his footballing opinions in to the club on the hiring and firing of players, Norman has proved that theory out this season.

I thought there was uproar about how much we paid Tavares and Mbamba. Which is it then? We pay too little or too much? Seems unfair that people have a pop at both sides

The problem was paying out wages for poor players.

Last year Norman was told by many on here were saying we wanted less players but good quality which he wasted on players like Mbamba and McIntosh. People who say Norman won't make the same mistake should look at the panic buys for this season. He could have a decent squad of 24-25 players good enough for the first team.pinstead of 34-35 players in the squad this season.

There is approx 15 players in this squad that have the ability to play in league one and beyond. We need 3 or 4 players with pedigree and 2 or 3 loanees to have a decent league one squad. Right now were missing the star quality that will make this team shine.

There is approx 15 players in this squad that have the ability to play in league one and beyond. We need 3 or 4 players with pedigree and 2 or 3 loanees to have a decent league one squad. Right now were missing the star quality that will make this team shine.

that number seems a bit optimistic.

Unless the 5 we were going to sign were very, very good, then that squad wouldn't survive in the league below in my view.

I think it's a competent 5 - 3 - 2 squad if we just spent some money on a goalscorer and creative mid.

Chris Neal - can't get in Fleetwood team and potential they will be promoted.

Smith

Streete

Bikey

Jack Grimmer - out of contract in the summer and not expected to be offered anything by Flham

Kiko

Pugh

Foley

Billy Knott - not wanted by Gills

Hooper

Target man (James Hanson) I know...Not that realistic but perhaps won't be good enough for championship? Wages will no doubt be an issue.

I think its a fairly realistic first 11 that I believe would get us top 10 football again.

There will be monumental changes to our playing staff, again, this summer and we all know that. For me our recruitment policy should be along the lines of aim for a squad of 20 proper first team players and pay them the L2 average going rate which, I believe, is around £50k a year. That would give a playing budget of around £1,000,000 which a club of Vale's size should be able to handle. Loans should then be used to supplement the squad and, if we're fortunate enough to develop them to the required standard, emerging youth players. If by some miracle we stay in L1 the average wage would be £70-75k and thus the budget £1,500,000, which again shouldn't be beyond a club of our size.

Biggest problem time now is offloading all the under contract dross in the squad to free up some wage budget for players of the required standard.

Chris Neal - can't get in Fleetwood team and potential they will be promoted.

Smith

Streete

Bikey

Jack Grimmer - out of contract in the summer and not expected to be offered anything by Flham

Kiko

Pugh

Foley

Billy Knott - not wanted by Gills

Hooper

Target man (James Hanson) I know...Not that realistic but perhaps won't be good enough for championship? Wages will no doubt be an issue.

I think its a fairly realistic first 11 that I believe would get us top 10 football again.

Defence looks solid enough, but any team that contains Hooper will not score enough goals over the course of a season. He has, what, 9 goals in 2 years of league football? It's not like he offers a massive amount when he isn't scoring either!

Also, no Eagles?

Defence looks solid enough, but any team that contains Hooper will not score enough goals over the course of a season. He has, what, 9 goals in 2 years of league football? It's not like he offers a massive amount when he isn't scoring either!

Also, no Eagles?

I agree however i believe there is a player in there somewhere and he must be fairly cheap. But he needs to be balanced with a decent league one striker who will get us 20 goals

Sent from my Moto G (4) using the onevalefan mobile app

Boot

Streete

Smith

Knopps

Bikey

Kiko

Taylor

Gibbons

Pugh

Foley

De Freitas

Eagles

Reeves

Forrester

Hooper

Turner

16 I'd keep, 3 to loan out and 5 to sign (GK, two strikers, creative mid and right back)

Out of that list I wouldn't be surprised to see Turner, Reeves and Gibbons go out on loan, which I guess are the 3 you mean.

I know they're under contract but personally I think Kiko and Defrietas need to go.

Knopps will be out for the majority of next season too.

Guest TommyMac

Boot - Not ready yet

Streete - Yes

Smith - Yes

Knopps - No

Bikey - Possibly if he can get and stay fit.

Kiko - No

Taylor - No

Gibbons - Not ready yet

Pugh - No

Foley - Not if we want to challenge the top 6

De Freitas - No

Eagles - Possibly

Reeves - Possibly

Forrester - No

Hooper - No

Turner - Not ready yet

16 I'd keep, 3 to loan out and 5 to sign (GK, two strikers, creative mid and right back)

Sent from my Moto G (4) using the onevalefan mobile app

IMO if we stay up and retain the 16 players you mention, we are in for another relegation struggle.

Archived