onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Has Thomas quit?

Vital Spark

He's just liked a tweet I send hoping to see him starting a game for Port Vale again. That doesn't sound like he has quit.

It sounds like he didn't like the criticism of his fitness by Brown.

As for those saying he is "over-rated" - are they watching the same Vale team as me? He's one of the best players this season and it's surely not his fault he's picking up injuries at the age of 33. Just this season he has been kicked from pillar to post - he's had a decade or more of that treatment...

Yes, his tweets may be the wrong approach but to call him "over-rated" just because he tweeted his frustration is ridiculous as far as I am concerned.

I'm struggling to think of many occasions when he has won us games. The cross v Scunthorpe at home was quality but no one can deny he's been largely injured or ineffective. Compared to the reliability of Smith smd Streete he's been disappointing to me.

Advert

so why has he tweeted that he thanks the port vale fans?

His tweets and (presumably) criticism are not levelled at them so he's making it clear that despite any issues, he is grateful for the fans' support. I think anyone thinking this is an "I quit" message is wide of the mark. He is liking tweets right now that have said he should be playing - that's not the actions of someone who has walked out, to me he is just frustrated at not playing...

Maybe i am reading more into it but it sounded like Brown was saying that Thomas faked illness/injury to not play

and Thomas is tweeting back to say he has played through injury - so that's kind of the issue as I see it.

I am a big fan of Thomas but I do think arguing it on Twitter (Ryan Burge) is not a wise plan. I hope the club can resolve it.

Brown seems to be upsetting a few people and from Normans tweet one out two to go does not help things.

The morale in the dressing room must be terrible with him not picking the Bruno boys. Some of these are better than his signings of Eagles and Tanser .He should concentrate on winning games and building morale rather than trying to drive out players who he really needs at least until the end of the season

Probably the sort of impact player that could keep us up. I know it makes match planning difficult, but Brown must know that injuries take longer to heal, or may never fully do, as we get older. Careful physio and picking games is the thing. Keeping the players together is also essential, and in the picture. All our assets have to be used irrespective of who brought them into the club, as long as they are fit enough.

Those self indulgent tweets he's posted are very arrogant. Tweeting the game where he scored that deflected cross and supplied 2 assists just smacks of a selfish "look how great I am" attitude. Not what we need in a relegation battle. We need players who put the team above themselves.

Yes, we will miss him when he's fit enough to play but it's clear his body struggles with games right now. Sad to see as he has a lot of ability.

Brown seems to be upsetting a few people and from Normans tweet one out two to go does not help things.

The morale in the dressing room must be terrible with him not picking the Bruno boys. Some of these are better than his signings of Eagles and Tanser .He should concentrate on winning games and building morale rather than trying to drive out players who he really needs at least until the end of the season

I may be half-asleep today but what does that "one out, two to go" actually mean? Sorry to go off-topic...

I think Thomas has played 21 games this season. Several players have played nearly double that. He's set up a few but only scored 1 goal.

Yes, he looks decent sometimes (but not always) and I rather like to see him playing left wing for us because he's a good player. But I don't think we should overestimate his contribution. For a player of his pedigree we might have expected a lot more from him. 1 goal isn't exactly setting the world alight. I do like him but I suspect he appears to be much better than he actually is because those around him have been so unbelievably poor.

We've had this in the past with the likes of Lee Matthews. But much as I like to see him playing if Thomas isn't fit for more than half the games in a season then he's not of great value to us is he?

I think Thomas has played 21 games this season. Several players have played nearly double that. He's set up a few but only scored 1 goal.

Yes, he looks decent sometimes (but not always) and I rather like to see him playing left wing for us because he's a good player. But I don't think we should overestimate his contribution. For a player of his pedigree we might have expected a lot more from him. 1 goal isn't exactly setting the world alight. I do like him but I suspect he appears to be much better than he actually is because those around him have been so unbelievably poor.

We've had this in the past with the likes of Lee Matthews. But much as I like to see him playing if Thomas isn't fit for more than half the games in a season then he's not of great value to us is he?

Thomas has featured in seven of Vale's eleven wins this season. Goals or not he's a quality player and I'd rather have him in the side than not.

And besides... the window has shut and he can't play for anyone else - so the choice is either resolve this and play for Vale or don't play for the rest of the season.

I for one, despite the tweets that I do think were wrong, hope that they sit down on Monday and resolve it.

I may be half-asleep today but what does that "one out, two to go" actually mean? Sorry to go off-topic...

https://nickbruzonslastword.wordpress.com/2016/03/16/and-you-thought-football-was-a-village-we-arent-alone/

here is where "football is a village" comes from. Anyone decipher that?

After reading that I think Smurf is annoyed that certain fans don't seem to be interested in the football, only trying to disrupt the fanbase and a daily character assassination of Smurf.

Not sure who the 1 down is or the 2 to go though.

Goals aren't the only barometer to measure a good player with. Thomas has a footballing brain 2x any other Vale player and he is the only player, in my eyes, who can create a chance out of nothing.

You are right though, that the standard of the squad is so bad JT looks even better. That's why its imperative we keep him happy and playing for the rest of the season.

Archived