onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Planning our last 2 home games of the season !

ollyandpatch

As planning is my daily job and I am today attending a meeting to sort out Easter it got me thinking how we as a club should plan our last 2 home games?

Good Friday is the first with Sheffield Utd possibly gaining promotion and the following Saturday it's Bolton's turn to get promoted? Undoubtedly the away following depending on the situation will be huge, and I am sure Smurf has already had a call from the local Bobbie on the beat

I spoke to a Sheffield Utd fan a couple of weeks ago who reckons after so long in league 1, they could bring 10k if they needed the points,

So do we say to both clubs, "You are having 4k at £22 end of story? or is it possible to do something different?

Advert

If they could guarantee selling 10,000 tickets I would give them the whole of the Railway, we can't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Agree totally, unless of course we are desperate for points for those games. Guarantee to sell is the key, not worth upsetting regulars in there for just a few hundred. I know it's been debated on here previously, 'I'm not moving / sat here for ever etc', but with sufficient notice, surely most would see its for the clubs benefit for 1 or 2 matches!

Invest in finishing the half of the Lorne Street and sell them the extra 2000 or so seats in that half of the stand thus 6-7000 and we get the Lorne St paid for by their fans!
Up to Smurf to do a costing. Otherwise give them the Bycars, far less people to upset than if they have the Railway Paddock, would there not be a segregation problem between the Stand and Paddock. Originally away fans had about a 1/4 of the Railway stand, at the Bycars end, before Hamil became the away end.

Up to Smurf to do a costing. Otherwise give them the Bycars, far less people to upset than if they have the Railway Paddock, would there not be a segregation problem between the Stand and Paddock. Originally away fans had about a 1/4 of the Railway stand, at the Bycars end, before Hamil became the away end.

I can't see the gate receipts from 6-7K away fans at each game outweighing the cost of finishing the LS & the extra on the police bill. I wouldn't mind moving elsewhere in the ground myself for a game or two, but I very much doubt there will be any change, although we're months away so positions could change massively by then anyway.

I don't personally think we should make such a move. It's a small-club mentality that makes a move to give up areas of the ground to opposing fans to make a quick buck. That kind of move could damage the perception of the club in a lot of people's eyes.

We should be doing more in those last two games to encourage people to come and watch us, not the opposition. It's a great opportunity to do some offers and come and watch Vale in a great atmosphere.

I doubt any of these things will happen as it takes quite a bit of planning. I may be wrong, but the club just doesn't seem to have the energy to put something like this into place. Besides, the risk is, things may change between now and then. I suppose that's where the plan would be to instigate this move a month or so before the games, when we're a lot closer to being able to predict the likely outcome. If things change beforehand, we resort back to the status quo.

I understand the issues people have raised about it being embarrassing, but that doesn't have to be the case. For me I'd use it as a chance to cash in, but also try something different. Give away fans the whole of the paddock / stand and then give home fans the Hamil End. We provide 7000+ seats for away fans (which is more than enough), and we run some discounted scheme to get the Hamil End as full as possible in the hope of generating a really good atmosphere. The same can be applied to the bycars if there is the demand.

I know this move would upset people that have sat in their particular seat for years and years in the railway. I do get that, despite my opinions on how archaic the stand is (I've said many a time on here we should give it to away fans, which generated quite a bit of hostility in return). Ultimately I think the completed Lorne Street would provide plenty of mid pitch views, with a decent "End" enabling us to promote something new to the fans. Finally get the fans at an "End" again, to generate a really good atmosphere, instead of the library Vale Park has become these days.

Archived