onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Matchday Thread: Port Vale v Northampton T

Fosse69

Advert

Why wouldn't he do the list? You don't just stop doing the job because you may be leaving. Plus players had to know where they stood with contracts ending or reduced terms being offered by the club.

Besides the plan from Smurf was to reduce the budget and force out the players he didn't want and the manager too. That ended up happening, so in that respect Smurfs master plan worked. Smurf could easily have retracted the list or changed deals if he wanted to, but he didn't because he was party to the contract changes with Page on that list too.

Its the chairman not Page that put the club in a difficult position.

He knew he was leaving before he did the list!!!!!!

He didn't know he was leaving until Northampton made an approach for him. Prior to that, he was working with the meagre funds he had been given. He was looking for a move but he had to plan for his squad at Vale in case he could not find another job. Your failure to grasp this is fairly staggering.

I don't understand the vitriol towards a man who, at the very worse, was average-to-poor for us. He seems more reviled than Sinnott or Gannon, simply for having the audacity to move to a club who offered him a better budget at that time, and were not run by a volatile chairman who one week wanted to sell the club and the next had shipped in half of Europe's 3rd tier players.

Nonsense, your failure to understand the situation isn't surprising though. He knew he was leaving before the end of season awards that was the 16th, he issued retained list and contracts on 13th.

Meagre funds????? Funny that he had approx 1.6/1.8m available that season and managed to waste it without signing a forward. Fortunately smurf put more money in to sign alnwick, inniss, uche and streete after page had wasted the initial budget that year, a top 12 budget no less.

The Chairman made himself and the club look bad (putting it mildly) with his actions towards Rob Page and the out of contract llayers in June/July and its's my guess the ramifications of those actions have not finished yet.

He made himself look even worse appointing a manager with no track record whatsoever in football management on a supposed reccommendation who promptly signed a dozen or so unknowns from the lower reaches of European football, many if not all are no better than players let go or already here and have still to prove themselves. If rob Page had have signed these players he would have ben hung drawn and quartered.

It is only because the payers who were already at Vale have stepped up to the plate plus the goals from Alex Jones and the inspired signing of Ryan Taylor plus the run of the ball on many occasions that PVFC sit where they are in the table and got through to the FA Cup 2nd round.

The Chairman made himself and the club look bad (putting it mildly) with his actions towards Rob Page and the out of contract llayers in June/July and its's my guess the ramifications of those actions have not finished yet.

He made himself look even worse appointing a manager with no track record whatsoever in football management on a supposed reccommendation who promptly signed a dozen or so unknowns from the lower reaches of European football, many if not all are no better than players let go or already here and have still to prove themselves. If rob Page had have signed these players he would have ben hung drawn and quartered.

It is only because the payers who were already at Vale have stepped up to the plate plus the goals from Alex Jones and the inspired signing of Ryan Taylor plus the run of the ball on many occasions that PVFC sit where they are in the table and got through to the FA Cup 2nd round.

Amoros. De Freitas, Kiko and Reggie all look to have something about them. Also, the run of the ball doesn't get you as many points as we have got, and 4-0 over Hartlepool is a thumping in anyone's book.

Nonsense, your failure to understand the situation isn't surprising though. He knew he was leaving before the end of season awards that was the 16th, he issued retained list and contracts on 13th.

Meagre funds????? Funny that he had approx 1.6/1.8m available that season and managed to waste it without signing a forward. Fortunately smurf put more money in to sign alnwick, inniss, uche and streete after page had wasted the initial budget that year, a top 12 budget no less.

Well, that depends on you believing Norman, a man who hasn't exactly got the best record when it comes to honesty. Whether you like RP or not, dishing abuse out to him is unwarranted, undignified and, as already stated, says more about the abuser than the man who is widely regarded as being a pretty decent human being.

I don't understand the vitriol towards a man who, at the very worse, was average-to-poor for us. He seems more reviled than Sinnott or Gannon, simply for having the audacity to move to a club who offered him a better budget at that time, and were not run by a volatile chairman who one week wanted to sell the club and the next had shipped in half of Europe's 3rd tier players.

I agree entirely and before I join him in the naughty corner I'd just like to say I thought he did an ok job for us and has always given me the impression of being a decent bloke. I disagreed with some of the things he did, such as re-signing certain players I wouldn't have, but who amongst us agreed with everything Rudgey did? I for one won't be booing him and although I hope to see the Vale stuff Northampton I wish Rob Page no ill at all.

Sorry but most of that is absolute nonsense!

The only thing I will say about Rob Page is that it was his brand of football that killed my bug for Vale. Prior to that I had a season ticket and went to about 10+ away games a season. Since then I have a new job where I work Saturdays so can't go anyway but when I could go I didn't and that was down to Rob Page. I wasn't the only one either.

Amoros. De Freitas, Kiko and Reggie all look to have something about them. Also, the run of the ball doesn't get you as many points as we have got, and 4-0 over Hartlepool is a thumping in anyone's book.

Amoros/DeFreitas don't usually start when Grant, Foley and Thomas are available, I wonder why, Cicilia, 3 goals in 14 league starts awkward but says how far Vale fallen when he's the big hope, Kiko hasn't been fit for at least 25% of the season, had somes mares when he has started should have been sent off on Saturday, goes withouit saying I disagree.

Yes you don't get so many points but just take 3-4 points off gained by having the run of the ball and that table looks very different. A thumping of a very poor team with a very poor record in their last 10 or so games, especially away from home.

SuperValiant1876

Sep 2011

Bottom of the hill

Quote Originally Posted by Paul6754 View Post

Sorry but most of that is absolute nonsense!

The only bit of nonsense in that is the last line!

The only thing I will say about Rob Page is that it was his brand of football that killed my bug for Vale. Prior to that I had a season ticket and went to about 10+ away games a season. Since then I have a new job where I work Saturdays so can't go anyway but when I could go I didn't and that was down to Rob Page. I wasn't the only one either.

So before you changed jobs, you had a season ticket so went every home match regardless. Your change of job meant that on the odd occasion you weren't working you had to decide whether to part with your money so you chose not to? So Rob Page is the sole reason you chose not to attend? Really? During the Gannon years you'd have happily parted with your money? Sinnot? Glover? OK mate.

I have nothing against Rob Page, I didn't like him as a manager but I think he handled himself very well. Smurf was a bit of an arse to him really wasn't he?

Page was ok. That's it. I didn't like his slow, boring style of play or his reluctance to give younger players a chance. I didn't like his stubbornness in playing the same under-performing players every week (like when Williamson went twenty something games without a goal yet was the first name on the team sheet) or when we'd watch someone give a mediocre display and Page would say they were "magnificent" afterwards. And obviously every post match interview uttering "we go again".

I will give him a clap as he did his best for us.

Agreed, will not go down as a Vale legend but we have had worse. We finished mid table in Division 1 last season and sad to say in my 30+ years of watching the Vale that sort of finish was one of our better seasons. Thought he handled himself with dignity over the Exeter farce. Admitted it was a dire performance but Page came out of it better than Smurf.

Having said that hope we stuff Northampton and Page has to dust himself down and go again.

Archived