onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

dwindling crowds/atmosphere

RayWalkers40yarder

The more time goes on and you think about it, it does make sense. As much as VP holds a lot of history and is Burslem has been home for a long time I wouldn't be aversed to it either anymore. I'd guess there is some land out round Sandyford going toward Chatterley off the new bypasses, I suppose that could be one area if the club is to stay north end of the city? I don't know a lot about it not living in Stoke unless the land there is earmarked for housing development already?

Advert

Talking of fans I would also suggest you start to appreciate the ones you have, stop taking them for granted, stop thinking fans will buy season tickets because thats what they do, stop thinking that no matter what obstacle you put in their way they will just turn up, stop expecting fans to go out of their way to give you money... look at the crowds... they arent/wont.

We've seen this in politics throughout 2016..you have to look after and show respect or people will turn against you

Whoever posted the above quote JA used is right. We've made the age old mistake of taking the people who turn up every week for granted, pushing the prices up and taking as much money from them as possible. V2001 also did it and look how that finished.

Simple things like the life season tickets that were not honoured. There were only 50 of them weren't there? At £350 a ticket, it was going to be £17,500 a season in revenue that wasn't raised. A big amount for a lot of people, but in reality it's less than 1% of our revenue (Would barely cover a development players wages) and the negative story that led from this didn't paint the club in a good light. I'm sure those people all have season tickets again but what was the opportunity cost from that? It could have been spun into a great story of relationship between the club and fans. Instead it turned in to a big turd stepped in like it always does.

We need to be more innovative and reach out to new fans. Instead we just tread the same old route every chairman has ever taken. Jack up the price and rinse fans for as much as possible. Crazy when we have 15,000 empty seats in the ground every week. A new ground would be welcomed by me, but why build one when we'll make the same mistakes there as we have done at this one the last 3 years? Sigh.

The reasons why crowds are down can be debated until the cows come home but to get to the real reasons why fans are no longer going can only be answered by encouraging these people to come on here and tell us WHY they no longer go.

I don't give a flying fig about matchday experience and if the football was up to standard would happily pay the price, although I do expect VFM whatever I buy. I stopped going because I was simply not enjoying watching the football and was ending up in a foul mood for several days after most games, hence some of the posts on here. It does not help things by chestbeaters on here being rude and sarcastic towards those that don't go, it will just make them dig their heels in even more. The important thing to bear in mind is that to encourage people back things have to be better than before they stopped going. They wont come back just because aggressive posters tell them that they aren't real fans if they don't. The club cant exist on the contribution made by self proclaimed real fans anyway so don't tell stayaways that the club can do without them, it clearly cant. Another important fact is that the longer people stay away the harder it is to get them back, so timely action is crucial.

I don't give a flying fig about matchday experience and if the football was up to standard would happily pay the price, although I do expect VFM whatever I buy. I stopped going because I was simply not enjoying watching the football and was ending up in a foul mood for several days after most games, hence some of the posts on here. It does not help things by chestbeaters on here being rude and sarcastic towards those that don't go, it will just make them dig their heels in even more. The important thing to bear in mind is that to encourage people back things have to be better than before they stopped going. They wont come back just because aggressive posters tell them that they aren't real fans if they don't. The club cant exist on the contribution made by self proclaimed real fans anyway so don't tell stayaways that the club can do without them, it clearly cant. Another important fact is that the longer people stay away the harder it is to get them back, so timely action is crucial.

Maybe we could get a fake journo to tell you it's all great and to come back, you believed that; or did I miss Bruno quitting yesterday?

I never have had a downer on Smurf previously. And there are many reasons why our attendances are dropping. But quite a lot of them lead back to decisions made by Norm at one point or another during his tenure (Ticket pricing, Sentinel dispute, negative radio interviews, managerial appointments, tall tales over budgets, I could go on) that it's hard to not see him as a focal point for change at the club. Not that he needs to go, but more that he needs to let Garlick do his job as Chief Exec/Secretary and leave the football side of things to people who know what they're talking about. He's taken one step to solving things with a chief exec. The other, in my opinion is to bring in a Director of Football. Smurf currently fulfils that role, and that's why it's not working.

It doesn't matter who gets put in charge of these things, they take their orders from Norman and his writ would still run. It would be a massive game changer if he allowed his subordinates to dictate policy. Paul Wildes tried that and look what happened to him.

It doesn't matter who gets put in charge of these things, they take their orders from Norman and his writ would still run. It would be a massive game changer if he allowed his subordinates to dictate policy. Paul Wildes tried that and look what happened to him.

I think wildes tried to dictate normans wallet. If he had some of his own money he would have been great for us.

Hmmm, as far as I'm aware Paul Wildes set an extravagant budget based on unrealistic season ticket sales. Smurf then had to come in and fund the difference. I think prior to it costing him a lot of money he was happy to let Wildes run the ship. Seems he's lost his ability to trust anyone to come in and run things for him. Hardly surprising I guess.

Garlick might be the start of him trusting people to run the club on his behalf. Let's hope so.

The reasons why crowds are down can be debated until the cows come home but to get to the real reasons why fans are no longer going can only be answered by encouraging these people to come on here and tell us WHY they no longer go.

I posted a while back why I have stopped going after 20+ years a season ticket holder. If I was to give the top two reasons why I stopped I would have to say.. 1. I cannot associate myself with a Chairman who has behaved they he has and 2. We have the second most expensive season ticket in League One. I took early retirement in April and not yet eligible for a 'senior' ticket and to put it bluntly, I am not prepared to pay £345 as I have to be more selective where my reduced income is spent.

I agree, when you are on a limited income you have to get your priorities right,food, bills, property and vehicle maintenance, mortgage etc have to come first and if you have a choice between a season ticket and repairs then footy comes way down the list, it's just a fact of life.

Although the circumstances were different at the time, we need a John McGrath, a big character, someone to light the fire, warm the place up (His words)Someone who can instil a bit of hope, a bit of pride, a bit of excitement.

Yet when the great John McGrath was in charge we managed to get the lowest League crowd ever at Vale Park.

Work that one out?

There's hope yet.

The gates are going down and down is because first of all we have a condescending owner who could actually write his knowledge of the game on the back of a stamp. He doesn't appear to show any respect for anyone then wonders why fans didn't rush out to buy a ST.

He has followed this up by bringing in a bloke who judging by his team selection and tactics has even less knowledge than his boss if that is possible.

Barring one or two games we have been absolute garbage and pinch results in most of our home games.

A word of advice for 'our leader' when you know very little about football make sure that you employ a manager who does!

Yet when the great John McGrath was in charge we managed to get the lowest League crowd ever at Vale Park.

Work that one out?

There's hope yet.

We were at rock bottom when Big John took over, so that's understandable,we are getting perilously to beating that unwanted record in a higher division.

If you are happy with our current form then fine, I'm not,I've been bored to death since Coventry, don't be surprised if the draw of Vale Park falls away and even more stop going.

I stand by my original statement, we need a John McGrath type to instil some fire in Vale supporters belly's.

Bruno might seem a really nice bloke but he isn't inspiring anyone.

Hmmm, as far as I'm aware Paul Wildes set an extravagant budget based on unrealistic season ticket sales. Smurf then had to come in and fund the difference. I think prior to it costing him a lot of money he was happy to let Wildes run the ship. Seems he's lost his ability to trust anyone to come in and run things for him. Hardly surprising I guess.

Garlick might be the start of him trusting people to run the club on his behalf. Let's hope so.

As 'far as you are aware' or what smurf told us all??

There's probably lots of things causing the falling gates, yes the football has been crap just lately, season ticket prices second highest in league 1. Then there's other things like the matchday experience, running out of food and drinks before half time, the PA system doesn't work in the Bycars( probably in breach of the grounds safety certificate) the bogs in the bycars, nice new stainless steel urinals fitted 3 or 4 seasons ago but not been cleaned since, on top of that some bodgers have recently tried to paint the walls and the paint is everywhere. Lots of small things that add up especially when we are paying top whack for the privilege.

Archived