onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

A 2nd referendum

TheJoker

Advert

Angus says it's no contest,the only people who drink the latter can only be Ballykissangel viewers.

Angus loves whisky,especially the malt variety.

Interesting.

Not wishing to stereotype but what's his favourite brand of shortbread and has he ever taken the low road whilst someone else took the high road? :)

Back to the original point of the topic. Second referendum or not I'm getting sick to death of folk telling Remainers to "get over it". Or "it's democracy, accept it." Just because the vote did not go the way I wanted doesn't mean I suddenly have to change my principles and agree with the winners. I still believe the vote was wrong and if the Leavers don't like me saying that then they should "get over it".

If you've voted for the losing side in a general election, like Labour voters last year, you don't suddenly say "well, never mind, those Tory chaps are ace after all, I should have realised. I'll support them ever more". That way we live in a one party state with no opposition (pretty much what we have in fact). Just because someone tells me something is right, doesn't mean I can't tell them they are wrong. That's democracy, chaps.

So more bad news comes out today, the economy is showing signs of entering recession. In lowering interest rates and carrying out QE the Bank of England is fast running out of weapons to stop the economy from shrinking. The pound has dropped again as a consequence.

Basically all the negatives that people were warned about pre brexit vote are happening. Can anyone in the 'Brexit Capital of Britain' suggest a viable economic policy that will get us out of this mess?

So more bad news comes out today, the economy is showing signs of entering recession. In lowering interest rates and carrying out QE the Bank of England is fast running out of weapons to stop the economy from shrinking. The pound has dropped again as a consequence.

Basically all the negatives that people were warned about pre brexit vote are happening. Can anyone in the 'Brexit Capital of Britain' suggest a viable economic policy that will get us out of this mess?

Money makes the world go round, but it is not moving around fast enough at present. Only a large investment program in transport, communications, housing, etc will shake the country out of its stupor. I am not holding my breath.

I think you'll find many other 'western' economies are similarly placed at this point in time.

How do you know all this would not have happened anyway even if we'd voted to remain?

I suspect a lot of exiters voted the way they did fully aware of the likely economic consequences..they just wanted out whatever the 'cost'. Democracy isn't about getting it "right".

Back to the original point of the topic. Second referendum or not I'm getting sick to death of folk telling Remainers to "get over it". Or "it's democracy, accept it." Just because the vote did not go the way I wanted doesn't mean I suddenly have to change my principles and agree with the winners. I still believe the vote was wrong and if the Leavers don't like me saying that then they should "get over it".

If you've voted for the losing side in a general election, like Labour voters last year, you don't suddenly say "well, never mind, those Tory chaps are ace after all, I should have realised. I'll support them ever more". That way we live in a one party state with no opposition (pretty much what we have in fact). Just because someone tells me something is right, doesn't mean I can't tell them they are wrong. That's democracy, chaps.

It's different..every 5 years we can realise we got it "wrong" in a general election and vote differently...can't do that with the EU referendum and there isn't a right and wrong anyway..just what the majority of those that voted wanted..we'll never know what would have happened had we voted remain

Obviously i don't know exactly what has been said to you or in what context, but i suspect that the comments you quote are in response to attempts to ignore the outcome of the vote by various methods eg a second referendum, legal challenges etc. the vote was to leave, that was democracy, and should not be attempted to overturn it because a person doesn't agree with it. Of course, your opinions should remain the same, i can't imagine anyone is suggesting that you should suddenly wish to leave?

To continue with your general election comparison, i have never heard of anyone demanding another election because they didn't like the result of the first one, although of course talking of referendums, the SNP is determined to have a second one as it didn't like the result of the first one!

Just playing devils advocate, say we had a second referendum and the result was to remain, should it be best of 3? Or just for arguments sake, say Turkey was admitted in 12 months time and a flood of immigrants came to the UK, should we then have another referendum as a lot of peoples opinions might have changed?

Anyway i personally will be surprised if we do leave the EU. I believe a way will be found to negate the result.

Cut and paste from the BBC website.

The Bank of England is not very confident about the future of the economy.

It says growth will fall dramatically, announcing the biggest downgrade to its growth forecast since it started inflation reports in 1993.

The economy, it says, will be 2.5% smaller in three years' time than it believed it would be when the Bank last opined on these matters in May.

Unemployment will rise (although only marginally), inflation will rise, real income growth will slow and house prices will decline.

Growth, the Bank believes, will fall perilously close to zero over the final six months of this year.

It predicts that the amount of money lent through the scheme could reach about £100bn.

Doesn't make good reading, if it does happen, foot and shooting comes to mind.

I think you'll find many other 'western' economies are similarly placed at this point in time.

Most stock indeces around the world have be flat lined for the last 3 years or so, Brexit certainly hasn't helped the possibility of a world wide revival.

Archived