onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

A 2nd referendum

TheJoker

Probably a hypothetical question but if there was to be a 2nd referendum would you change the way you voted. I voted Brexit but feel conned and would certainly vote remain if there was a re run.

What would you vote in a 2nd referendum? Would you change your mind after what you know now?

Advert

Why should there be a second referendum? If we have another one and the verdict is overturned do we then have a third referendum? Democracy decreed the result, the losers should get over it!

Phil, sense the word hypothetical. Also, if true democracy, the will of the people has shifted. I think if there was a vote today the answer would be remain.

Also, I voted Brexit, I picked the winner, but feel like a loser. DO you think Brexit would win if the referendum was run again tomorrow?

There is no need for a 2nd referendum, it can all be sorted out in parliament, whether by another general election or not. I cannot see any political party risking another referendum, all they do is provide a black or white result, all difficult decisions are grey and best decided in parliament by MPs, whether you think MPs represent you is for you to decide.

At the end of the day do we have a rerun of the 2015 general election where FPTP constituencies were only won by 3.8 % or less? The referendum was won fair and square by leave and to overturn that referendum would cost both Labour and Conservatives and SNP. These MP's are likely to vote against the referendum decision but that means that they will be against the electorate vote which means that would pt their own jobs in jeopardy in 2020.

If the MP's in Parliament do not respect the democratic position of the voters then it contradicts what they purport to stand for and should resign with immediate effect.

For once I agree with Corbyn's stance. He is respecting the vote of those whom voted him in.

More from Prof Dougan on the issue.

Why didn't the BBC/ITV have Dougan and his counterpart on the Leave side in the broadcast debates - blokes who actually know what they're talking about - instead of a bunch of egotistical politicians mouthing slogans and assorted crap?

At the end of the day do we have a rerun of the 2015 general election where FPTP constituencies were only won by 3.8 % or less? The referendum was won fair and square by leave and to overturn that referendum would cost both Labour and Conservatives and SNP. These MP's are likely to vote against the referendum decision but that means that they will be against the electorate vote which means that would pt their own jobs in jeopardy in 2020.

If the MP's in Parliament do not respect the democratic position of the voters then it contradicts what they purport to stand for and should resign with immediate effect.

For once I agree with Corbyn's stance. He is respecting the vote of those whom voted him in.

But if it was overturned in parliament it would have to be by a mixture of parties, they would also have to explain why, and then call a general election.

But the point of the thread is ridiculous hence people's response to it

Its not that ridiculous when I have heard it being discussed on radio today. A lot of people have said they would change their vote and remain would win if the referendum were held today. Surely if the will of the people has changed then that should be listened to. Or isn't that democracy?

Way for everyone apart from CV to miss the point of the thread! Would you vote the same if there was a hypothetical 2nd referendum, that is all!
Is it a 7 or 14 day cooling off period now that the team players have changed? Or would the 2nd referendum have the details of our new trade and immigration arrangements on it, at some future date? Hypothetically of course.

Its not that ridiculous when I have heard it being discussed on radio today. A lot of people have said they would change their vote and remain would win if the referendum were held today. Surely if the will of the people has changed then that should be listened to. Or isn't that democracy?

I would still vote leave. I don't believe I was fooled into anything, by anyone. When I hear things like, "a lot of people have said they would change their vote" it really annoys me. How many is a lot? Over 17,000,000 voted to leave, how many of those have been asked this question? Are you sure they even voted in the 1st place? Are you sure a 2nd referendum wouldn't bring out even more people to vote than the 72% that turned out? That's 72% of those registered, more could register, how will they vote?

It's all nonsense, it's embarrassing. People need to grow up, stop mardarsing about it, and work damn hard to make this a success. The world is bigger than just Europe, which we'll still be a part of after Brexit.

I keep seeing apologies to future generations for the way that this vote has gone. I think they'd look down on us even more if we spent the next few years in a state of deep depression. It's how we react now that will determine how we're viewed.

Archived