onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Today's officials - call me cynical?

SourceOfTheTrent

The officials' performances today was so odd I think it merits it's own thread.

I was irritated by the first couple of free kicks given against us, especially when Dodds got between man and ball and took possession in what I saw as an excellent piece of play by him, then I became livid when Collins was booked for a pretty innocuous challenge in their half where their player didn't even go to ground, even worse when you consider it was possibly Collins' first foul.

This was compounded by the ref ignoring MK players doing the same things and he even shook his head when Vale questioned a blatant foul throw.

The icing on the cake was the ludicrous yellow as opposed to red incident.

Can anyone explain how it could be construed that challenge was a booking as opposed to a sending off? At that point I was beginning to think the officials had taken a bung!

I rarely criticise officials (check my posts - it's true) but those today were truly awful and may have cost us two points, I just hope that doesn't have any bearing on our fate come May.

Advert

We'll be better placed when we see that incident again on TV but once he has awarded a foul it surely has to be a red card.

It seemed a terrible decision but I don't think he was even going to book the lad until he spoke to the equally dire linesman.

We'll be better placed when we see that incident again on TV but once he has awarded a foul it surely has to be a red card.

It seemed a terrible decision but I don't think he was even going to book the lad until he spoke to the equally dire linesman.

I believe he spent too much time insisting the foul was outside the area.

By the time he thought about the player concerned maybe he and the linesman were unsure who it was.

It was a shocking decision and then to say it was not a clear goalscoring opportunity ?

Yes SOTT you are cynical and biased. Collins was a clear yellow card because it was a "so-called professional foul". The referee is the sole judge of fact so if he believes it is not a clear goal scoring opportunity that is it. To be fair this referee took a second opinion from the assistant who was well placed before issuing the yellow card. I don't know what the referee thought, but i'm certain that he knows the laws of the game and the interpretation of them far better than any number of spectators.

I think that he may have given a yellow as Williamson was actually moving away from goal when he was fouled. It was a definite red card in my opinion.

Collins booking was right, they were breaking and it was a professional foul, however they did exactly the same to us and they didn't get a yellow. Awful ref but even worse linesman on Paddock side.

I'm pretty certain that we had him at Crewe a few years ago and he gave them everything in that game. He either doesn't like us, likes teams who play in red or is totally incompetent. Please take your pick, maybe all three though.

Yes. The game when Kris Taylor scored the winner. I think Eddie noted that we weren't awarded a free kick in that match until the 55th minute.

I've always found him a very arrogant referee. Sgt. Miller famously ran the line at Old Trafford while he was on sick leave from the police force. It's about time he retired.

It's a tough job being a ref, but someone has to do it. :) My two cents worth, and needless to say, I wasn't there, but if an attacking player has beaten the last defender and is fouled whilst running directly at the goal , then it is definitely a red card and a direct free-kick/penalty . However , if the attacker is running towards the by-line, and is fouled , it's a direct free-kick /penalty and a yellow card. It's all a bit tricky, and of course it happens so quickly. Judging by the posts on here, it appears that it was denying a goalscoring opportunity, and therefore a red card. I'll have to see it.

Sounds like the ref had a bad afternoon. You can't please everyone, but a referee that displays arrogance is looking for trouble, because he/she will have few friends on the field and off. UTV

Yes SOTT you are cynical and biased. Collins was a clear yellow card because it was a "so-called professional foul". The referee is the sole judge of fact so if he believes it is not a clear goal scoring opportunity that is it. To be fair this referee took a second opinion from the assistant who was well placed before issuing the yellow card. I don't know what the referee thought, but i'm certain that he knows the laws of the game and the interpretation of them far better than any number of spectators.

Defending the indefensible :banghead:

Yes. The game when Kris Taylor scored the winner. I think Eddie noted that we weren't awarded a free kick in that match until the 55th minute.

I've always found him a very arrogant referee. Sgt. Miller famously ran the line at Old Trafford while he was on sick leave from the police force. It's about time he retired.

Typical!!Vale have had their fair share of problems with Police issues recently without that idiot adding to them:rolleyes:

It's just not true.

What about the clear "professional fouls" they did? They got booked for one out of 3, that were very similar to the collins one. In fact I think Collins was the furthest away from the opposition box out of the 4.

As for the 2nd opinion...I'm sorry but a linesman who can't even see a foul throw 5 yards in front of him, makes the offside rule up as he goes along, and signals for a throw before the ball has crossed the line is not competent.

Atrocious performance from the two officials today. Simply no excuse for the red card. How can you interpret 2 attackers v one goalkeeper as not being a clear goal scoring chance?

Archived