onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

West Brom friendly.

For Us All

No we're talking about strikers, in midfield we have definitely improved

I was responding to post #75 which was bemoaning losing last season's second top scorer (Loft) & third top scorer (JMW) both of which were midfielders the last time I checked. Pope aside none of our other strikers (Tomlin, Willo, Hugill) scored more than 5 league goals last season so the bar ain't that high to start with.

Advert

Very enjoyable game tonight thought our midfield pairing of Jennings (bogie lookalike) and o'connor was effective, Birchall looks leaner and quicker than last season pope and willow took their goals well they enjoyed a lot of possession without really hurting us although felt big Sam had a good game tonight and will claim the assist for their bizarre own goal

2ndhalf when Lines and Marshall came on we started to dictate play, Dodds volley from 30 yards was very unlucky and O'Connors chip against the bar was sublime pity Ben couldn't compose himself for the rebound

All in all a very pleasing performance against an Albion side who will struggle this season

So we lose to non league Southport, then 4 days later beat a premier league team. It's a funny old game.

Thought Birchall had a good game especially first half,, O Connor looks quality, just a bit concerned about the striking options, hopefully we can get another

Another striker in pretty soon.. Willo did well tonight but the chance from the rebound off the bar, I could have scored it with me ****.

I was responding to post #75 which was bemoaning losing last season's second top scorer (Loft) & third top scorer (JMW) both of which were midfielders the last time I checked. Pope aside none of our other strikers (Tomlin, Willo, Hugill) scored more than 5 league goals last season so the bar ain't that high to start with.

Well you were quoting my post so I though you were responding to mine

Yes, we have lost a couple of strikers and haven't replaced them, but the huge improvement in our midfield suggests Micky wants more goals from here? Others will take over penalty-taking, and ought to directly replace what would have been some of JMW's contribution; I feel Marshall and Moore will get more assists than the players they're replacing, and might even chip in with a few goals themselves; meanwhile, I also think our defence won't concede quite as many, as we can have any 1 or 2 from Birchall, Brown or Jennings sitting in front to break up attacks, and start our breakaways by getting the ball quickly to Lines, O'Connor or the wingers...we could even afford to play with just one up top, with one from midfield backing him up. There's also still time to bring a striker in - as Micky said tonight on SSN! I'm quietly confident for this season!!

Yes it is all I'm saying is until we haven't filled that gap yet

What gap have Tomlin and hugill left? The odd sub appearance. We have better wingers this season and therefore more service to pope and even Williamson, we will sign another striker, IMO we have a far better squad than last year.

I think Yates stepped up too late and their lad was level (more or less) when the pass was played.

Without Hugill and Tomlin we are currently short up front. Both those two could come on as subs or start a game and cope with this level as well as being a threat sometimes. At the moment we have no strength in depth up front and you have to address the scenario of Pope being injured/suspended. What do we do then? That has to be a major concern and is the reason why Adams is fervently searching for another striker.

First time I've seen Marshall play. Very impressed. Looks very direct and dangerous.

He's a very exciting player. I actually think he could tear some teams apart this season. And he tracks back too, like really busts a gut to get back.

Archived