onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Nominations for smurfs panel!!

carpetman123

It's a two-way thing though - if the SC committee engage with its members then it's no use the membership being apathetic and not engaging with the SC.

Im not sure I agree Rob...

There will be times when the SC will get a strong following [as we have seen] and there will be many other times when the following dwindles to a few hardy souls... provided the SC communicates with the fans it doesnt have to follow that the fans have to communicate [in numbers] with the SC.. it would be an ideal but that will only happen in dark times, unfortunately.

Providing the SC communicates with the fans and allows the fans to communicate with the club [through the sc conduit] its doing its job.

Advert

There will be times when the SC will get a strong following [as we have seen] and there will be many other times when the following dwindles to a few hardy souls... provided the SC communicates with the fans it doesnt have to follow that the fans have to communicate [in numbers] with the SC.. it would be an ideal but that will only happen in dark times, unfortunately.

Providing the SC communicates with the fans and allows the fans to communicate with the club [through the sc conduit] its doing its job.

Geo,

I have recieved regular communications and updates via e mail from the supporters club so if all members are not getting these then it needs bringing up at the next meeting. It is important that all members are kept informed and up to date with all aspects of what the SC agenda is and how they are being progressed.

Geo,

I have recieved regular communications and updates via e mail from the supporters club so if all members are not getting these then it needs bringing up at the next meeting. It is important that all members are kept informed and up to date with all aspects of what the SC agenda is and how they are being progressed.

Even if direct communication with individual members/supporters is not possible publication of the forthcoming agenda and previous meetings minutes on the official SC web site would go some way to informing people whats going on... it doesnt happen.. unfortunately.

I look at it slightly differently. I think it's advocating responsibility if you say it's only a one-way process.

You can't accuse the SC of inaction if you're inactive yourself. Well, you can in theory - but I think that if you do then that's double standards. Naturally, not everyone is in a position to be an activist. Geography, age, health or employment may prevent that and that's fair enough if you actually cannot do any more. But there are surely some fans who could and perhaps should do more.

My view is - if we want the SC to work, to engage with members then we need to "buy in" to it. We need to understand why it's a vital resource (it's our safety net if things go wrong) and why we should all do what we can to make it better because a better SC benefits us all.

I actually think you're doing a fine job on that front Geo because you've come up with some simple and logical improvements to the SC's communications.

I look at it slightly differently. I think it's advocating responsibility if you say it's only a one-way process.

You can't accuse the SC of inaction if you're inactive yourself. Well, you can in theory - but I think that if you do then that's double standards. Naturally, not everyone is in a position to be an activist. Geography, age, health or employment may prevent that and that's fair enough if you actually cannot do any more. But there are surely some fans who could and perhaps should do more.

My view is - if we want the SC to work, to engage with members then we need to "buy in" to it. We need to understand why it's a vital resource (it's our safety net if things go wrong) and why we should all do what we can to make it better because a better SC benefits us all.

I dont think its a completely one way process but it will always be biased towards the SC doing/being more than the supporters it represents.

Its not just buying in its more about the SC wanting people to buy in and allowing them to do so by giving all the information to allow supporters to understand and be part of, however remotely, the process.

If people dont know what is going on within the SC how can they be expected to take an interest, the less you tell people the quicker they lose interest, the more you engage the better the chances are that people will take an interest and be an active part of what could be the sword and shield for the supporters and the club.

Sadly more people attend when smurf has one of his Q&A sessions or probably when a charity match is on the agenda than they would if it was a normal meeting, which is to be expected, sadly because the meeting gets lost in the discussions after the event and the event, the SC meeting, is hardly [if ever] reported... yes some of it will be boring stuff... but the meetings are the essence of the SC, [or at least should be] where things are revealed, discussed and decided upon.

I want the SC to work... but the more the light dims the less I can see it happening... and the less information becomes available the darker it gets

We don't need another group, we already have the supporters club. Granted the communication to its members could be better but it is improving. In the days of the anti v2001 protests there used to be 5/6 hundred attending the meetings, now, you are lucky if ther is 30.

Being part of a committee is always a thankless task, having suitable people willing to give up thier time is always a bonus. Is Norman thinking of dealing with a ready made group or is he looking at a group of individuals? The SC should certainly have a rep, should there be an input from OVF? Do half the fans at Vale Park have access to the internet, not many may comment on here but would be more wiling to cast votes on various topics, or should it be left to oplnion polls on the Vale site.

The SC are key to everything here and give them some credit. The move by Smurf though is a bit Brattesque though and I warn caution with clear roles needing to be outlined because if it goes **** up then the fans will be blamed

Unless I have misunderstood the reports of what the Chairman said he wants a group of advisers to meet him regularly and wants to call on the expertise of various people who are long-term supporters of the club and have knowledge of various spheres which could be useful. I would suggest Joan Walley for her political knowledge, a member of the legal profession and someone with financial knowledge such as an accountant for a start and possibly someone with a knowledge of public relations (possibly a journalist) and a member of the medical profession (possibly with a knowledge of psychology). There should be some representation of the Supporters Club, but we should be aware that many highly committed supporters will not attend the supporters club because they regard it as a place for argument and abuse rather than helpful discussion.

I don't agree. The SC already works in the club and communicates with the club. That's part of its job as representatives of the fans.

If anything putting this committee under the control of the SC (or simply using the SC committee) would strengthen its influence not dilute it.

I didn't say it would,.I said it would reduce it's independence (of the club)

Archived