onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Nominations for smurfs panel!!

carpetman123

Advert

Personally I don't think the SC should have someone helping to run the club who is also involved in running the SC as that would reduce their independence

However if the SC wantes to elect someone who would then leave the SC for a year and not be part of the SC other than perhaps as a member then so be it..they would simply voice what the SC is saying but not be part of the running of the SC

As Geo says if the SC do have an input they must firstly prove their communication skills be of a much higher level' date=' they improved a couple of meetings ago and then nothing...[/quote']

Perhaps with Norman acknowledging a purpose for a fan's panel it will encourage improvements to communication, as far as I know they had a large data base of members at one time. Would it be possible to use Vale facilities to Email members/fans and have a web area for news, or would that compromise independence? Early days I know, but could generate many comments. On a completely different scale Swansea have a fans rep on the board, but own 10/20% of the shares, I wonder how they communicate?

Personally I don't think the SC should have someone helping to run the club who is also involved in running the SC as that would reduce their independence

However if the SC wantes to elect someone who would then leave the SC for a year and not be part of the SC other than perhaps as a member then so be it..they would simply voice what the SC is saying but not be part of the running of the SC

I think the opposite. I think less is more for this and many other cases with the Vale.

When the anti-V2001 campaigns started there were multiple groups and I felt that (well meaning as they all were) this diluted the message not strengthened it. It was only when it started being co-ordinated by a rejuvenated SC (and to be fair the publicity of the Sentinel coverage as well) that things really started to happen because there was one group steering the protests and therefore a united front.

To me to add more committees and other groups to represent fans only muddies the waters and dilutes the influence of the SC.

I think it is key that the SC always remains strong and the first point of contact between club and fans. This is just in case we have another situation (I hope not but you never know) further down the line when the fans need representing.

I think if people think the SC isn't up to the task then there should be efforts to make it up to the task. I think it simply needs to be that the SC is the voice of the fans NOT the SC and then a separate, independent fans' committee as well.

The SC isn't independent - it represents the fans views.

If NS wants fans' views - then ask the organisation that represents those views. It's that simple.

It is much better for that group to be "fixed" (if you think it's broken, not working) and step up to the task than to add another group, in my view.

It's independent of the club so IMO having an 'officer' of the SC heavily involved with the club would reduce that independence

I've no problem with the Sc choosing someone to be heavily involved with the club like Smurf is looking for; certainly not suggesting another group

It's independent of the club so IMO having an 'officer' of the SC heavily involved with the club would reduce that independence

I've no problem with the Sc choosing someone to be heavily involved with the club like Smurf is looking for; certainly not suggesting another group

I don't agree. The SC already works in the club and communicates with the club. That's part of its job as representatives of the fans.

If anything putting this committee under the control of the SC (or simply using the SC committee) would strengthen its influence not dilute it.

It will depend on how Norman uses the panel, as a sounding board I would think, what he does will still be his decision, so I don't see the need to leave the SC for a period.

I think the opposite. I think less is more for this and many other cases with the Vale.

When the anti-V2001 campaigns started there were multiple groups and I felt that (good meaning as they all were) this diluted the message not strengthened it. It was only when it started being co-ordinated by a rejuvenated SC (and to be fair the publicity of the Sentinel coverage as well) that things really started to happen because there was one group steering the protests and therefore a united front.

To me to add more committees and other groups to represent fans only muddies the waters and dilutes the influence of the SC.

I think it is key that the SC always remains strong and the first point of contact between club and fans. This is just in case we have another situation (I hope not but you never know) further down the line when the fans need representing.

I think if people think the SC isn't up to the task then there should be efforts to make it up to the task. I think it simply needs to be that the SC is the voice of the fans NOT the SC and then a separate, independent fans' committee as well.

The SC isn't independent - it represents the fans views.

If NS wants fans' views - then ask the organisation that represents those views. It's that simple.

It is much better for that group to be "fixed" (if you think it's broken, not working) and step up to the task than to add another group, in my view.

I think the SC should represent the fans views but have to ask how it can when it fails to communicate with its members, let alone the fan base as a whole. Without communication how would it know what they want and how those wants could be represented?

The SC shouldnt just represent the elected few or the few that turn up to meetings, keeping its membership informed is vital to keeping the SC an active and vibrant representative of the fans.

Im not in favour of a separate committee.. but if thats what smurf wants.... but neither am I in favour of the SC taking on the role as it stands today.

I have been a member of the SC for some time... communications received.. 0 ... minutes of meetings received... 0 .. agendas received... 0

That isnt good enough to help Port Vale supporters... it isnt good enough to help Port Vale

I think the SC should represent the fans views but have to ask how it can when it fails to communicate with its members, let alone the fan base as a whole. Without communication how would it know what they want and how those wants could be represented?

The SC shouldnt just represent the elected few or the few that turn up to meetings, keeping its membership informed is vital to keeping the SC an active and vibrant representative of the fans.

Im not in favour of a separate committee.. but if thats what smurf wants.... but neither am I in favour of the SC taking on the role as it stands today.

I have been a member of the SC for some time... communications received.. 0 ... minutes of meetings received... 0 .. agendas received... 0

That isnt good enough to help Port Vale supporters... it isnt good enough to help Port Vale

So you think the SC should firstly get itself fit for purpose (in your view) and then it would be able to fulfil this role? If so, I would agree with that.

I don't think the communication issues are insurmountable and can be fixed fairly swiftly.

For instance:

In my view, as a fellow exile I think the main issue is the need to "be there" to have a say. I can't do midweek meetings in Stoke ( I only arrive back in Aylesbury at 7pm for goodness sake!) but I'd still like a say.

I know you can't put everything to a ballot or nothing would get decided and you elect a committee to represent your views on most issues.

However...

1. Perhaps the nominees for the committee should put their statments/reasons for election in an email next time (with exiles allowed an email or postal vote) so you don't have to physically attend the AGM to back a candidate?

2. Perhaps on any "bigger" issues there should be some sort of voting system? This doesn't need to be paper-based. You could give everyone a unique log-on to the SC website for instance although it's easier said than done and would take a bit of sorting out (lost passwords and the like). You could then have polls that only logged-on members could vote on. Maybe a similar user-only forum as well (although to be fair this was tried and didn't appear to take off) for comments and suggestions?

Those things wouldn't cost too much, would be quicker than a postal ballot and would satisfy exiles who want a say.

I do agree that a regular email update/minutes would be a good thing too. Perhaps if they really wanted to "go for it" someone with a digital camera could record the meetings and pop them up on the SC website. That would be even better than minutes as it would give a better indication of the manner/way things are addressed and in what context.

Good post,communication is the key to everything and where our club has failed on so many occasions.It's the key to open so many doors for both the club and it's supporters.

So you think the SC should firstly get itself fit for purpose (in your view) and then it would be able to fulfil this role? If so, I would agree with that.

I don't think the communication issues are insurmountable and can be fixed fairly swiftly.

For instance:

In my view, as a fellow exile I think the main issue is the need to "be there" to have a say. I can't do midweek meetings in Stoke ( I only arrive back in Aylesbury at 7pm for goodness sake!) but I'd still like a say.

I know you can't put everything to a ballot or nothing would get decided and you elect a committee to represent your views on most issues.

However...

1. Perhaps the nominees for the committee should put their statments/reasons for election in an email next time (with exiles allowed an email or postal vote) so you don't have to physically attend the AGM to back a candidate?

2. Perhaps on any "bigger" issues there should be some sort of voting system? This doesn't need to be paper-based. You could give everyone a unique log-on to the SC website for instance although it's easier said than done and would take a bit of sorting out (lost passwords and the like). You could then have polls that only logged-on members could vote on. Maybe a similar user-only forum as well (although to be fair this was tried and didn't appear to take off) for comments and suggestions?

Those things wouldn't cost too much, would be quicker than a postal ballot and would satisfy exiles who want a say.

I do agree that a regular email update/minutes would be a good thing too. Perhaps if they really wanted to "go for it" someone with a digital camera could record the meetings and pop them up on the SC website. That would be even better than minutes as it would give a better indication of the manner/way things are addressed and in what context.

Superb post, if they did this they would gain a fair representation of the fanbase along with maybe feedback forms to be handed out and completed at matches for those that are not IT savy.

Under these circumstances I would fully support the SC being involved in thiss opportunity the chairman is presenting safe in the knowledge almost the entire / if not the entire demograpic of the fanbase was being represented.

Superb post, if they did this they would gain a fair representation of the fanbase along with maybe feedback forms to be handed out and completed at matches for those that are not IT savy.

Under these circumstances I would fully support the SC being involved in thiss opportunity the chairman is presenting safe in the knowledge almost the entire / if not the entire demograpic of the fanbase was being represented.

I agree that the key is to open up the communications to everyone (or at least as many as possible).

I mentioned Internet options copiously in my post but then again that isn't always OK for exiles who are not IT-savvy.

Perhaps a one-off communication is needed (I guess it would need to be a letter) asking members for their preferred method of communication. However, posting letters to a thousand-odd members will cost a fair bit.

However, if the letter says that the SC recommend "email communication" (because it is free) then that should cut down on the number of letters that need sending out the next time and also allow a larger proportion of the SC members a say in things.

It's a two-way thing though - if the SC committee engage with its members then it's no use the membership being apathetic and not engaging with the SC.

For instance:

However...

I said some time ago that the SC should get its own house in order [it didnt go down very well] if they can they would be the ideal "committee" to do what smurf is looking for.

Leaving aside voting issues for a moment the crucial part of the SC is its relationship and communication with the supporters. That should be the priority. Some people may not want a say in whats going on but very few dont want to know whats going on. Keeping the supporters informed is what will keep the SC together and strong.

3 simple steps to keep the supporters involved and informed...

1.. Ask if anyone has anything they want raising at the next meeting 2 weeks before the meeting

2.. Publicise the agenda 1 week before the meeting [including any relevant points in 1]

3.. Publicise the minutes of the meeting within 1 week

All could be done on the official SC website...

There are other things that could be added to increase participation and information... on line voting... mail shots from the data base... for example

Archived