onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Nominations for smurfs panel!!

carpetman123

Advert

Providing this is set up right, it could be an excellent idea.

You wouldn't want this to be a token gesture; neither would you want it to be too burdensome.

I can think of some excellent representatives - loyal fans, would don't have an axe to grind but who would not be afraid to speak up.

You wouldn't want this to be a token gesture; neither would you want it to be too burdensome.

I can think of some excellent representatives - loyal fans, would don't have an axe to grind but who would not be afraid to speak up.

My thoughts exactly, you want people who can dedicate 5-10 hours per week who have the club at heart, are from varying social circles and who have an open mind. Great idea, hope we get the right candidates for it.

It sounds like he is looking for feedback and ideas not a panel to help run the club.

Given the SCs record on feedback recently I wouldnt want them anywhere near it... when was the last time an agenda or minutes of meetings were published... Im also uncertain about the independent representation of the fans interests if they were to become "the panel" and the impact that would have if "the panel" were part of something the fans objected to... it could put them in a sticky situation and compromise their independence.

As an independent group the SC could offer what he may be looking for, provided its the whole of the SC not just a couple of people representing the SC but that still raises the question of feedback and communication which isnt the SCs strong point.

I have doubts that this will work, it sounds good in theory but it will just open up a can of worms in my opinion, listen and observe but a select panel will soon end up causing more problems than they solve, I doubt if even the chosen six would agree with each other, too many cooks and all that.

My fear is that the panel could by no fault of their own become alienated because though they may make good proposals if they are not be taken up they could still be vilified. I think it would be best if the Supporters Club had some visual input but no individual would face any direct criticism.

It sounds like he is looking for feedback and ideas not a panel to help run the club.

Given the SCs record on feedback recently I wouldnt want them anywhere near it... when was the last time an agenda or minutes of meetings were published... Im also uncertain about the independent representation of the fans interests if they were to become "the panel" and the impact that would have if "the panel" were part of something the fans objected to... it could put them in a sticky situation and compromise their independence.

As an independent group the SC could offer what he may be looking for, provided its the whole of the SC not just a couple of people representing the SC but that still raises the question of feedback and communication which isnt the SCs strong point.

Excellent post.

My fear is that the panel could by no fault of their own become alienated because though they may make good proposals if they are not be taken up they could still be vilified. I think it would be best if the Supporters Club had some visual input but no individual would face any direct criticism.

As Geo says if the SC do have an input they must firstly prove their communication skills be of a much higher level, they improved a couple of meetings ago and then nothing...

Yes, I think you are right. You only have to read threads on here to see that there is a wide variation in opinion on most matters concerning the club. It is also obvious that some well meaning fans don't have a clue about the way a business runs.

Business or football club? NS' biggest mistake has been to assume that they are the same thing.

I said in one of my blogs in 2012 that the "owners should ignore fans at their peril":

"Firstly, I would hope that room can be found in the boardroom for a fans’ representative – and I can think of no better person than Pete Williams [as it was then], chairman of the Supporters Club, to fill the role. Perhaps there could be a change to the club’s constitution to automatically elect future chairmen of the Supporters Club a boardroom role, even if it’s only a non-voting, non-executive position?

And while we’re on the subject, I would suggest that the Supporters Club is the obvious route by which new owners can communicate with fans. I firmly believe that the vast majority of fans are delighted to see a powerful, committed and resourceful Supporters Club both standing up for and supporting Vale fans...

So, if we really want fans to unite, for the club to progress, for new owners to take us forward, I think it’s essential that the new owners take the fans seriously. After all, Valiant 2001 didn't and look what happened to them!"

Link: http://www.onevalefan.co.uk/site/new-owners-fans-views

My suggestion was that whoever was Chair of the Supporters Club should be the conduit between fans and owners. I think this makes sense:

1. The Chair of the Supporters Club is already in a position to take the views of loads of fans and work out which are sensible and which are not.

2. They are high profile so people know who they are and how to contact them.

3. It's an elected position so it adds weight to the SC elections as there will be increased responsibility with the role

4. The SC are based at Vale Park

5. They already represent the fans

6. It does away with the question of "Who to pick" "How will we vote" etc if it's arranged that the current Chair is always the conduit between fans and owner

I personally think the SC should always be the focal point for the fans. It's powers should be strengthened not diluted.

It should be strong and reliable for the fans (I think it is) and it should stand up for fans when it needs to (which I also think it does).

If you think their communications can be improved then that's something fixable, not a reason to dismiss their work out of hand.

I think in general their work is highly commendable and perhaps with added responsibilities, the SC will rise to the challenge and become stronger and even better for it.

Archived