onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Neil Aspin

Jacko51

From this morning's Sunday People. Take it or leave it.

Micky Adams is in line for a shock exit from Port Vale after talks over a new contract stalled - and Halifax Town boss Neil Aspin is a good bet to replace him.

Valiants boss Adams has bee speaking to chairman Norman Smurthwaite over a fresh deal for the past three months but so far there is little sign of agreement.

Rumours are rife that Smurthwaite is dragging his heels because he fancies a change of manager - and former Vale Park favourtie Aspin is his first choice.

It will not be well received in the Potteries because Adams led Port Vale from League Tow and has consolidated their position in the third tier - they are sitting comfortably in id table.

Two months ago Smurthwaite insisted that whil there had been talks there was no written offer on the table. And now it seems he is getting cold feet.

Aspin has performed heroically at Halifax, leading the club to a string of promotions - and they are within touching distance of a spot in the Football Conference play-offs.

But if Smurthwaite acts now it will certainly cost him to bring the former centre-half back to Vale Park - and that would remain a stumbling block that could delay any managerial switch at this stage of the season.

Advert

I think Aspin would be a good appointment.

I know non-league appointments have not worked before (Sinnott) and neither have club legends (Foyle, Glover) but that's not to stay that these type of manager never will. It's about the individual, and how they manage, not if they have played for the club or were plucked from non-league.

Had our fingers burnt with previous ex players appointments. Also if there are concerns about the budget, how could we afford Aspin. Certainly won't come cheap. I really think that Smurf has handled this affair badly. The problems with the limited edition shirts pales into insignificance compared to this issue. Get the management appointment wrong and we could easily find ourselves relegated next season. Smurfs failure to make a decision is causing uncertainty and I suspect is a contributory factor in our recent run of poor form. It's also disrespectful to our manager, who whatever you think about him deserves better treatment than he's getting. If Smurf wants him to go then he should say so and prepare properly to make a new appointment. At the moment it's a shambles. Very unhappy !

Not sure what I would think of this,as much as I love Aspin replacing an experienced manager with a rookie might be asking for trouble but having said that I thought Page would be a good option so what do I know.

Who else is out there who could poach or who is out of work

...if there are concerns about the budget, how could we afford Aspin. Certainly won't come cheap.

My immediate thought was the exact opposite - that Aspin would be a cheap option to replace Adams in the Summer, after Adams' contract has been allowed to expire & when it'd be easier for Aspin to leave Halifax.

If true, it'd be eerily reminiscent of V2001's cheapo and lazy attitude in appointing Foyle and then (oh so predictably disastrously) Glover.

Just lazy journalism? Delayed 're-appointment combined with ex player doing well in lower league management.

It's just the usual journalistic view of who Port Vale are capable of attracting to manage them.

Doubt Smurthwaite even knows who Aspin is.

Foyle did a good job for a few years, one bad season hardly tarnished his memory.

Everyone apart from the important people knew that Glover would be disastrous, and Sinnott hardly had a fair crack at league management, although his team was appalling I don't think anyone could argue it was entirely down to him.

I would welcome back an Aspin type as manager, it would be harsh on micky but any more games like we've seen over the past few weeks and the bandwagon will be rolling.

Just lazy journalism? Delayed 're-appointment combined with ex player doing well in lower league management.

It's just the usual journalistic view of who Port Vale are capable of attracting to manage them.

Doubt Smurthwaite even knows who Aspin is.

Interestingly, Dave, I was told this at the match yesterday before it appeared in the press. I am, however, always suspicious of news stories without attributable quotes. We'll just have to wait and see what happens.

Foyle did a good job for a few years, one bad season hardly tarnished his memory.

Foyle unfortunately spent a few years making us lose the will to live with his negative tactics, and little by little each year he replaced OK League One players with poor ones. He eventually built a squad of players that got him the sack.

Foyle unfortunately spent a few years making us lose the will to live with his negative tactics, and little by little each year he replaced OK League One players with poor ones. He eventually built a squad of players that got him the sack.

We never had a pot to **** in then, it was only when we actually got a bit of money that he wasted it all.

Archived