onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Neil Aspin

Jacko51

Would he want to come to Vale at all? Whoever replaces Adams this summer will have an almost impossible task of completely rebuilding an entire L1 squad with very little money.

Disagree with 'impossible'. Challenging perhaps but far from impossible.

Adams going would probably free up a decent wedge. Hughes going already has done. The likely departures of players like Lines, Loft and Neal (to someone better), Jones (to anywhere), Dicko etc will save a big chunk on wages.

Is anyone in the squad irreplaceable in the long term? I don't think so, the bulk of the squad is lower league one quality, some not even that standard.

A good clear out might be a blessing in the long run.

Personally, I think Adams has done superbly to steady the ship and to get us out of League Two. I don't however see a long term chance of further success under his style of coaching/management and if his salary is to be believed it is hard to justify a continuation of his position at the club beyond his current deal.

Advert

At the end of the day like it or loathe it .....It comes down to finances that is the harsh fact, and if the owner knows he can't afford MA then he will be allowed to leave.

On the who comes in I guess that agents will be bending Smurfs ear and I think we might be surprised who would be interested, after all an out of work MA was interested first time round and Uwe Rosler apparently applied in the past.

I guess MA's agent will working on his behalf trying to get him fixed up at another club thats just the way football is run today.

I would like to see us bring an experienced manager and personally go for Dean Smith at Walsall dont know how much he would cost but that would be my choice

Let's face it MA will no way be our manager next term... Whatever the appointment and if it's not MA and it doesn't turn out well, Norman beware of a fans backlash... I really do dread for the future of the club at present, I don't think Norman has a clue what he is doing!

I think it's pretty obvious in my opinion Micky Adams will not be at the club next season. I think some of the players know this also.

Smurf probably doesn't want to give Micky a wage increase or pay him the same, or simply doesn't like him and can't work together?

It will be an interesting summer though yet again that's for sure.

I loved Aspo as a player but the thought of him being brought in as Adams' replacement is an underwhelming one.

Firstly, it would reek of a club cutting it's cloth for a relegation battle next term, playing the 'popular ex-player' card and hoping it will distract everyone from the fact that it's a cheap and unproven option. Smurthwaite wasn't around the last couple of times V2001 did exactly that, so someone may need to teach him the lessons of history.

And while we're on about the lessons of history, after the destructive relationship which festered between Sinnott and Glover, any new manager would need to be given the freedom to assemble his own coaching staff. If the club forced Aspin to work with Page as his number two would we see similar issues?

At least Aspo wouldn't be burdened with any great expectation, after what happened with Foyle and Glover. He'd get plenty of goodwill from the Vale fans, everyone will want him to succeed, although many will quietly be worried about what happens if he doesn't.

These rumours are not surprising - it certainly looks as though Smurff is not interested in signing Micky for another season and so speculation is soon to follow.

Imho, we could do a lot, lot worse than Aspo, former player or not. He has a superb record in managing a club with no money (just like us) and has taken them to three promotions. He also has an eye for spotting good players, a bit like his former manager at the Vale. Two to mention would be Jamie Vardy, now at Leicester, and Lee Gregory, former Blades academy lad, who's scored 66 in 99 games for Halifax. Their fans are certainly not going to be happy with Aspin's name being linked to us.

One other thing, we'd get a far tougher mental attitude towards defending than we have from the current management, despite the fact they comprise a goalie and two defenders.

Archived