onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Dominic Dell - Development Squad I assume

tisdeano

Makes good business sence I suppose if some go on to get us a transfer fee or even tribunal money with them being well under 24?

I think Wildes has said in the past that this is what he wants to do,pick up young players as Ant said and bring them into the first team and hopefully sell them on for a decent fee.

I wonder who will be coaching the development squad though? It's looking good so far Dell and O'Neill appear to be highly rated and then there is the young Reading lad too,it's also good that these are coming from a separate budget than the first team.

Advert

Its a great idea and unique in the lower leagues.

A lot of players end up on the scrapheap at 18. If good enough Vale want to develop these lads until they are 21. Its an extra 3 years of scholarship.

I cannot see one bad thing about this.

Its real interesting and exciting times at our football club.

Makes good business sence I suppose if some go on to get us a transfer fee or even tribunal money with them being well under 24?

This could work out very well for Vale, isn't an excellent idea and a good way of bringing through our own talent by nurturing those with potential cast aside.

A lot of players end up on the scrapheap at 18. If good enough Vale want to develop these lads until they are 21. Its an extra 3 years of scholarship.

Not quite, Notts have one, there may well be others. A good system as you say, a change of club, coaches and ethos can make a difference. I would expect Park to be involved.

other clubs are forming their own squads ,non league as well, so instead of friendly's there will bne an 18-21 league with possibly 2 over age players allowed, good business and it bridges the gulf between the youth team and the 1st eleven. AND WHY NOT.

From a Wolves fan of 25 years when asked about Dell and O'Neill:

Dell was released about a month ago, I've heard rumours that he's a bit billy big time and thought he'd already made it.

I'm quite surprised at us letting O'Neil go, has played for the Republic at all youth levels and was very highly thought of, can pass the ball which most Wolves midfielders can't!

Another for Micky to try and manage maybe?

O'Neill sounds decent?

I get the impression that the term 'Development Squad' is basically a way of rebranding the reserve team but shifting the focus away from just keeping senior pros match fit, towards giving more support to the first year pros to bridge the gap and challenge for first team football.

This is the Sheffield United version of the development squad. Some good players to come through their academy including our very own Micky Adams.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheffield_United_F.C._Academy

Here's a discussion between Blades fans that makes quite an interesting read:

http://www.s24su.com/forum/index.php?threads/sod-the-development-squad.23764/

Micky doesn't have a good track record of blooding youth though. Joe Davis and Ryan Lloyd good examples of young players under used.

Ryan Lloyd is not physically ready, it would have been alot to ask of Joe to come into the side when we were on our bad run last season so Mickey protected him well and went with experience in Purse/Chilvers. Ultimately his decision was the correct one as we got promoted.

Micky doesn't have a good track record of blooding youth though. Joe Davis and Ryan Lloyd good examples of young players under used.

Lloyd hasn't looked physically ready for the first team yet. Davis could have been used more though I feel.

Archived