onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wigan (A) match thread - 6th April

4 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

I personally would take now being within 2 points of Cambridge playing them last game, I know keep saying it but looking at Cheltenham's next 3 games and we are relying on them dropping points against an already relegated Carlisle, Burton who are woeful or a Bristol Rovers who have given up and not scored for over 500 minutes.  For me that was 2 points dropped today, I really thought they were there for the taking and Northampton and Wigan away, 1 point and no goals scored is a poor return, I honestly felt we would win one of those games.  It puts so much pressure on the home games, we have to win all 3 and we need clean sheets to do this as the goals are not there.

V79, TBH I didn’t think we’d get another point away from home before today. Therefore it’s not too bad for me. The game Burton v Cheltenham will be a choker for us and we need them to draw. If it’s not a draw then I think we’re down.

Advert

on another front following recent events I don’t think that Carol has the insight, experience or money to run a football club and so needs to reevaluate her position, extra investment is needed, I’ve heard again and again about mr Williams putting money into the club. Being worth approximately £250,000,000 if he’d been that concerned about keeping the vale in league one he would have paid a short term contract for 2-3 out of contract strikers to keep us up. Cuz I would have mr Williams !!!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Confused 6

12 minutes ago, valefan79 said:

I personally would take now being within 2 points of Cambridge playing them last game, I know keep saying it but looking at Cheltenham's next 3 games and we are relying on them dropping points against an already relegated Carlisle, Burton who are woeful or a Bristol Rovers who have given up and not scored for over 500 minutes.  For me that was 2 points dropped today, I really thought they were there for the taking and Northampton and Wigan away, 1 point and no goals scored is a poor return, I honestly felt we would win one of those games.  It puts so much pressure on the home games, we have to win all 3 and we need clean sheets to do this as the goals are not there.

Such a shame that when we finally start to play with a bit of pride and passion, we let ourselves down with the awful quality we have in the team.

Yes the last two away games were there for winning and yet we fail in both.The final ball in or the wrong decision made shows poor quality from almost every player and when we do get the ball to create a chance, we fail massively. No goals scored has cost us points in the last two games.

So yes it is a good turnaround in the last four games as plenty keep telling us but maybe not good enough and looking at the performances, we should have had more than 8 points. Lets hope we dont regret these results.

6 hours ago, Dipepa delight said:

That's 4 clean sheets in 6 games .

So we improving at one end .

Need sharpen up up front be clinical.and score some goals if we do we will take it till last game .

Peterborough is massive biggest game since Chesterfield in terms of what league we be in .

I'd like us get 2 pens we didn't get in the home game .

All to play for .

Need put 70 free coaches ON 

Split peronality

1 hour ago, Spunk Trumpet said:

Good god.

Why is everyone so down? 
4 clean sheets in 5. It’s not pretty but we’ve given ourselves a huge chance.

3 out of our last 4 at home. 
People still playing football on paper. Saying Cheltenham will get 10 points. Burton may get 5 or 6. 
Football isn’t played on paper.

We won’t go down.

Darren Moore has worked wonders these last few weeks.

You're right about Moore,done a great job defensively and turned us into a side that has stopped conceding goals which I did not think was possible.  I just felt today the game was there for the winning and with a bit more belief, we could have got the 3 points and that would have put massive pressure on Cheltenham going into their Carlisle home game knowing they would have been behind us regardless of how they did. 

Special mention to Smith again today, been played out of position so many times this season as the RCB and even LCB but playing in his natural position the last 5/6 games he has been superb.  I am not a big Uche fan and don't see him getting the goals but think he is ready to start the next game and hopefully scare Peterborough into some mistakes.

• Like 1

Psychologically yesterday was significant .

Shrewsbury may feel there out of it but with a minus 28 they could well go down on goal difference .

We have to try win our games though I think they have being but we no where near clinical enough it seems we get in areas then not deliver .

We just have to  keep going Burtons in big trouble there minus 26 we are minus 25 Cheltenham minus 23 .

Peterboro play in a final today if they win let's hope they celebrate way too much not that we should go there fearing them anyway as Carlisle banged 3 in there and they have being relegated .

Looking at train 61 pounds return 22.00 go at 1600 get there 19.13 15 minute walk to the right from station that's with train pal a new app a going away with the Vale most away games on a train fanatic told me about .

Wednesday game is massive be my 2nd away league game of season(went Mansfield last away ) cannot go Bolton as step daughter being sworn in at the bar that weekend in London so Peterborough it is .

Hope springs eternal hopefully Vale take as many as possible 

UTV goooaaaarrrnnnnn

Edited by Dipepa delight

My thoughts on yesterday:

Wigan clearly had more quality than us, you just needed to look at the way their players controlled the ball. We just out worked them and probably did enough to justify a win.

The failure to land a striker, or a midfield player to allow Garrity to play further forward, has left us woefully short of goals. I think Loft or Uche, with Chislett and Garrity would be more potent. Garrity and Chislett in a 3 is proving industrious without either getting into the box enough.

Sang may have found a position he is suited to. I thought it was his best game in a Vale shirt. He does some good things in central midfield and RWB but he lacks something in both positions. 

Thought the 2 young players acquitted themselves well against 2 very good wide players. Personally I don't think Plant will make it as a winger at this level, his distribution isn't great under pressure,  he hasn't got a lightening burst of pace and he doesn't turn players inside out. I do think he's turning into a decent right wingback and he's also improved on the left over the course of the season.  

It will cause a problem playing Wednesday Saturday.  The short bank holiday turnaround left a couple of players who put in shifts in the Friday struggling at Northampton.  Particularly Plant and Chislett seemed to lack energy. Do we go all out at Peterborough or is the focus Saturday at home?

8 hours ago, Sam Kelly's Left Boot said:

Aslong as it was scribbled in colourful crayon I'm sure the message would reach 🤣

Maybe we could borrow Paddy’s if he’s finished colouring in the templates for next seasons kit

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, JRC said:

My thoughts on yesterday:

Wigan clearly had more quality than us, you just needed to look at the way their players controlled the ball. We just out worked them and probably did enough to justify a win.

The failure to land a striker, or a midfield player to allow Garrity to play further forward, has left us woefully short of goals. I think Loft or Uche, with Chislett and Garrity would be more potent. Garrity and Chislett in a 3 is proving industrious without either getting into the box enough.

Sang may have found a position he is suited to. I thought it was his best game in a Vale shirt. He does some good things in central midfield and RWB but he lacks something in both positions. 

Thought the 2 young players acquitted themselves well against 2 very good wide players. Personally I don't think Plant will make it as a winger at this level, his distribution isn't great under pressure,  he hasn't got a lightening burst of pace and he doesn't turn players inside out. I do think he's turning into a decent right wingback and he's also improved on the left over the course of the season.  

It will cause a problem playing Wednesday Saturday.  The short bank holiday turnaround left a couple of players who put in shifts in the Friday struggling at Northampton.  Particularly Plant and Chislett seemed to lack energy. Do we go all out at Peterborough or is the focus Saturday at home?

Peterborough play Wycombe at Wembley today. There is extra time allowed in the final - oh please God! So we will have 24 hours extra recovery time on them on Wednesday.

All my experience as a spectator tells me never stand toe to toe punching with a better team that has better players. Carlisle won 3-1 there recently with a midfielder scoring a hat trick. So it is possible we can do something. 

Edited by Warren
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, valefan79 said:

You're right about Moore,done a great job defensively and turned us into a side that has stopped conceding goals which I did not think was possible.  I just felt today the game was there for the winning and with a bit more belief, we could have got the 3 points and that would have put massive pressure on Cheltenham going into their Carlisle home game knowing they would have been behind us regardless of how they did. 

Special mention to Smith again today, been played out of position so many times this season as the RCB and even LCB but playing in his natural position the last 5/6 games he has been superb.  I am not a big Uche fan and don't see him getting the goals but think he is ready to start the next game and hopefully scare Peterborough into some mistakes.

We had a couple of runs early in the season of clean sheets. I think it was 6 in 8 at one point just after Barnsley and I think we did 3 in 4 a little later. It's just hard playing in defence if the forwards can't score. 

The mystery of the defence has been the form of Lacovitti.  At the start and end of the season he's looked a solid defensive player at this level. There was a period after his injury when he looked anything but. Maybe it's having the right players around him. Maybe like Uche as a naturally heavily built player he needs a little longer to get up to speed. Smith might be the Captain of the team but when he's playing well vocally Lacovitti is the leader of the defence.  Really most of the recent defensive improvements has really been down to how he has played. I think him shouldering some of the leadership responsibility also takes pressure off Smith and allows him to focus more on his own game.

Moore has recognised that he simply has to play Garrity in proper midfield and he has therefore been prepared to sacrifice him playing as an attacking forward. It's a pragmatic decision that at least gives us more resilience. 

• Like 3