onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Shrewsbury (H) match thread - 9th March

15 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I never understand this. Bring out one of our quicker players to the halfway Line and they will bring out two. So with their keeper back, a guy taking the corner and two marking our speed merchant they will only have 7 In our box instead of 9.  Does that make sense or am I being daft?

Makes perfect sense to me.

Just do ourselves no favours whatsoever.

For a team with such low confidence we don't do much at all to alleviate it.

Even if we manage a clearance the opposition have time to collect the ball, have a look and pick the most effective ball out to out us back under the cosh.

• Like 1

Advert

1 hour ago, Spunk Trumpet said:

It’s more obvious by the week that up until his problems, Darrell Clarke was the glue that held this club together.

I've never missed a woman like I miss Darrell.

God he was brilliant 

• Like 8

42 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Flitcroft brought in 5 players in the January window. One never made it onto the pitch before he was sent back to his parent club. Of the others only one started today. That is simply pathetic and he should be on his bike. 

Not forgetting the recruitment team working for him either. Questions need to be asked.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

I never understand this. Bring out one of our quicker players to the halfway Line and they will bring out two. So with their keeper back, a guy taking the corner and two marking our speed merchant they will only have 7 In our box instead of 9.  Does that make sense or am I being daft?

I've never understood it neither :

2 Vale players on the half way line equates to at least 3 defenders back covering, as you say, along with the keeper and corner kick taker, that's 5 players who are unlikely to score.

If we manage to head/kick the ball clear then the two attackers have a chance to get the ball and attack, or at least prevent the other team from simply launching the ball back into our box.

Assuming Ripley catches the ball he can now quickly start a counter attack - personally, I would have 3 players forward, one on the left, one right and one in the centre circle. If Ripley kicks the ball down the left channel the forward in the centre circle goes near post and the right sided forward goes back post ready for a cross.

Also, If I were a goalkeeper I would want as few players in front of me as possible for a corner, that way I can command the area.

It's not rocket science so why is it that everyone does it, especially us. I can possibly understand it if we are protecting a lead, but when we need goals it's downright stupidity in my view.

It reminds me of an interview I once saw with Clive Allen, he was asked why he never went back into his own area to help defend a corner - his response was something like this :

"I don't defend corners because I'm a liability in my own box, chairmen don't pay what they do for me to stand inside my own 18 yard box, they pay me to stand in the opposition 18 yard box and score goals, that's what I do."

5 hours ago, rob1983 said:

Players laughing at the end walking round

Who was laughing? 

4 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

It was only 2 years ago when fans were screaming "trust the process" and Carol/Flitcroft got us promoted,  I anticipate even hope Flitcroft will be gone by the end of June just for a fresh start but Carol has to stay even if he doesn't go.

The “trust the process” phrase is an embarrassment. Since promotion whenever anyone on here criticised a decision to let a player go they’d be met with the same phrase. Embarrassing and yet another in a long line of management speak phrases that’s been trotted out. We’ll be using them in here for years to come.

3 hours ago, JS Valiant said:

We have needed a Manager with a Winning Mentality and someone who will galvanise the squad.

Not give it to a Sacked Manager on a 5 and Half Year Contract.

Every manager has been sacked at some point though. I think that the main problem is that we left it too long to let Crosby go. 

2 hours ago, Powerline said:

And to think we let Benning go - to instead play Dan Jones there pumping endless balls straight back to the opposition.

Benning had to go for his own sake. Played in a wing back position that’s not his best and much maligned by fans, I bet he couldn’t wait to get out. Look at him now, playing in his familiar position and looking fitter than he ever did with us. Good on him. 

Edited by PV1973

Gutless. Spineless. Heartless. Take what you want from that but that is my 3 words. When a young lad steps up to give us but a glimmer of hope of 3 points says says it all. 
David Flitcroft you have left a squad of players totally out of depth and inept of understanding the core values of the hardworking working class people who come and watch this team. 
This team fights for nothing and I repeat that nothing, but it's okay for them, they'll still get their salary
But what about us?
Remember that team during out promotion season? 
Were we the highest scorers in that division? No.
Did we perhaps have the best defensive record in that division? No.
Were we the best team in that division? - No.
Did we have the players with heart and desire to play for the badge? Oh yes.
I'll never forget Hartlepool away where we had to really grind for a result and every man and their dog in who represented Port Vale our club come out to the fans and give us recognition and celebrated - I knew then it was our time.
That's the complete difference with our promotion team and this team. There is no desire no heart no commitment to the average Joe fan the promotion team but their bodies and heart on the line for their goals and even though at times the goals seem hard or unreachable they never gave up.
Case in point our day at Wembley. 
Take all the fight spirit and togetherness out of the team that went up was there enough quality? Perhaps but I am not sure. 
That can be the difference but I am convinced these players do not give a sh** after today's results and that opinion will stand until the inevitable happens and we end up with the dreaded R against our name.

Spot on. The difference was daryl clark. That promotion team compared to this team is no different in terms of quality of players. Just shows what drive passion and togetherness can achieve
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, George is here said:

My boss is a Shrewsbury season ticket holder and went the game. Her main reaction was that she felt sorry for the Vale fans as it was so quiet when normally it is noisy and raucous.

My comment was that we have had the stuffing taken out of us both on and off the pitch.

And also there's no connection with the away end any more for baiting and banter. To be fair Shrewsbury were hardly bouncing. The whole occasion was as dull as dishwater . Yet again. 

• Like 1

There isn’t a connection between the fans and the players. 
Chizzy hasn’t looked the same player with Alfie and Ollie.

Carol is clutching at straws. 
Bring a mate for free. 
Then it’s have a free drink. 

When will she realise fans don’t care about these token gestures and it won’t bide her time in sacking David Flitcroft. Fans won’t back Flitcroft. His position is totally untenable!! 
I want to see another open letter addressing the fans moans. On two points. Why has he failed miserably in four transfer windows. And why would anybody in their right mind trust him with another!

We are now adrift.

As for her son shaking his head when fans were singing for Flitcrofts head, that just shows the arrogance of that boardroom.

Hes lucky to be in a job in a football club with zero football experience. So that lad needs to start piping down a bit.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, onestepatatime said:

What was the thinking behind the lack of The Wonder of you before kick off AND no Glad All Over when we scored?  Another decision by her indoors to say to us fans......you've been naughty challenging my decisions so I'll stop your long standing rituals?

No Glad all over........I think the guy who played it had his position made redundant due to lack of work.

Seriously, hallelujah, bag of <ovf censored> song. Goal music is so cheesy. Hope it is binned off for good.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Also, I caught some of the podcast last night. 
Is that right that some players are upset with the abuse they are getting? 
I mean. Seriously?????

My heart bleeds for them.

That says it all.

They are spineless gutless bastards as Bez put it.

Apart from Garrity and maybe Ripley, where are the leaders in that dressing room with thick skin? 
Nowhere. 
They just go crying to mummy Carol.

With Darrell in charge it was us against the world. 
Now it’s us (the fans) against them (Flitcroft, players, owner)

And it’s all their own doing through arrogance and sheer ineptitude.

• Like 3