David Flitcroft Out

Flitcroft out?  

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should David Flitcroft go?

• Yes
    • No

18 minutes ago, philmpv said:
20 minutes ago, philpvfc said:
Yep, but when his contacts dried up our performances slipped. He’s done the same again at Cheltenham, signing Pett and Taylor, results picked up when he first went there but it is most likely they will still go down.

Even if they do, they will have made a hell of a fist of it. They were dead and buried when he took over

Exactly! 

I mean, it’s not like he will have only had 35 games to get his 50 points / borderline play off form or picked up a team who hadn’t even scored a goal before his arrival or anything!

Clearly needed a break from the game, but looks all the better for it.

• Like 1

Advert

27 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

Yep, but when his contacts dried up our performances slipped. He’s done the same again at Cheltenham, signing Pett and Taylor, results picked up when he first went there but it is most likely they will still go down.

Cheltenham relegation won't be on Clarke. 

He's performed miracles there. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Cheltenham relegation won't be on Clarke. 

He's performed miracles there. 

Staying up could be classed as a miracle. No doubt he has improved performances and results but too early to say he he has performed a miracle, let’s see if he keeps them up.

7 hours ago, Doha said:

bullsh1t.

3 horrendous windows. Loft. Crosby appointed without interviewing externally. Dire, dire football, playing wingbacks when we don't actually have any. 3 wins in 5 months and we're in the relegation zone and our forward line every second half is an actual child who did his GCSEs last summer, but it's alright because DF is building an office overlooking the training pitches. FFS does anyone at the club actually have a grip of reality?

We never NEEDED to appoint Crosby. 

It isn't a gameshow.

The only thing horrendous about the windows is our continued inability to sign proven forwards.  There has been some good recruitment, albeit this time we’re short at LWB.  The likes of Ripley, Chislett, Arblaster, Devine aren’t bad recruits.

We played good football, with wingbacks early in the season.  Injuries have had a major impact although we have been too rigidly fixed to a system.  The plan all along is to get our own young players into the team.  Sadly the best of these, James Plant, is another on the injury list.

They’re not simply building an “office”, it’s a facility for the players, including moving the gym to allow Lorne St stand to be fully opened.

We NEEDED to appoint a coach/manager and Crosby, for whatever reason, got the gig.  It didn’t work out.  You’re right it’s not a gameshow, it’s life, and things don’t always go to script.

• Like 5

On 11/02/2024 at 18:16, Guitar Ray said:

The only thing horrendous about the windows is our continued inability to sign proven forwards.  There has been some good recruitment, albeit this time we’re short at LWB.  The likes of Ripley, Chislett, Arblaster, Devine aren’t bad recruits.

We played good football, with wingbacks early in the season.  Injuries have had a major impact although we have been too rigidly fixed to a system.  The plan all along is to get our own young players into the team.  Sadly the best of these, James Plant, is another on the injury list.

They’re not simply building an “office”, it’s a facility for the players, including moving the gym to allow Lorne St stand to be fully opened.

We NEEDED to appoint a coach/manager and Crosby, for whatever reason, got the gig.  It didn’t work out.  You’re right it’s not a gameshow, it’s life, and things don’t always go to script.

We are in a tough position. There are three reasons for this.

Crosby cost us a shed load of points despite having access to what I thought was a squad good enough to be well into mid table. He couldn't get his wing back formation to work, we didn't defend well and didn't attack well. Basically, he was out of his depth. 

The loan system, and also an injury of course, has meant we have needed to change young players. This is a club strategy and fair enough, but just at the moment we look weakened. 

Injury has stripped us of players and particularly top scorer Garrity. Uche was just getting going and now he's out. So we look short of players. 

The most important thing for me is to build a rock solid defence and create a team that stays in games and can win games 1-0. We do have some good attacking players still, but they are not scoring enough goals. My view is that under Crosby we didn't have good corner and freekick routines. Also Chislett and Wilson are not staying enough in the goal scoring areas. Chislett in particular pops up all over the place and uses up energy. Wilson drifts round not getting enough ball in good positions. 

There is enough to work with if further injuries can be avoided. But we now have critical games. In the end we must win and then use our games in hand to climb further. Stop conceding too many goals is a priority for me. 

5 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Weirdly quiet response to the podcast, which I personally found very illuminating. Really sad to hear how the abuse has affected DF and also his family. Nobody deserves that just from trying to do their job.

Phil, I haven’t listened to the podcast and no one deserves any type of abuse and his family definitely shouldn’t. I don’t think he would object to fans questioning his role or having been told that he’s responsible for everything that touches the ball, requesting that he stands aside.

1 minute ago, philmpv said:

Weirdly quiet response to the podcast, which I personally found very illuminating. Really sad to hear how the abuse has affected DF and also his family. Nobody deserves that just from trying to do their job.

I tried to start a new thread called Dave Flitcroft In ( Podcast) but failed miserably and put it in the Tickets and Travel Section.

Great listen. An explanations of what's happening is exactly what I have wanted and he explained very well and openly dispelling a few myths and urban legends. I thought Dan did an excellent interviewing DF, really representing the fans with his questions rather than a corporate approach. On the abuse I haven't heard or seen anything out than Dave Flitcroft get out of the club which I peronsally don't think abuse but I wasn't at Fleetwood so no idea how personal it got top there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Haven’t listened to it but agree with what you say regarding abuse.  Part and parcel of the job unfortunately, although there is a limit to what could be seen as reasonable.  There will always be boo boys that’s a fact.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, ginge said:

He does say if you ever want to chat to him to go to reception and ask for him. Though not sure how successful you'd be with that? 

Doesn't really mesh with the image they were portraying of him being the busiest man at the football club does it?

But yeah, it's part of the job description to waffle on talking a load of <ovf censored>, so we'll let him off for that one. His sales pitch likely helped us to bring Devine, Arblaster and Darren Moore to the club. So you can't lay into him too much for talking a good game when results on the pitch are poor.

He's also the man tasked with putting Carol's "Championship ready" vision into action and he has done a lot of genuinely good stuff, even if a lot of it is behind the scenes that we don't see.

His explanation of what went wrong in the January transfer window. Well that's how it goes sometimes. It's good to hear an explanation at least. Fact is the striker situation is a shambles, but I'm sure the recruitment team worked as hard as any other manager / sporting director in the country. We failed, but hey, maybe if we'd have got that ex-Championship or top six PL2 striker and he hit a few goals then we wouldn't be sitting here with Darren Moore on a five year contract.

• Like 2

On 11/02/2024 at 19:00, Guitar Ray said:

Flitcroft, fair enough on the player recruitment side and clearly, for whatever reason, the Crosby appointment didn’t work out.  On the flip side, you have to give him credit for the appointment of Clarke, and with it promotion, or are you ignoring that?  I’m not a fan of Flickers but I’ll back Carol’s judgement for a while longer.  If we’re relegated then the inquest can be held at that point.  Up ‘til then the team need support from the stands.

You seem to have an agenda against the owners.  I think you’re way out of touch with the vast majority of our fans on that score.  It’s easy to come on here spouting drivel so why not make your point, stand outside the main entrance at the next home game and protest away to your hearts content.

For me, one of the things that went wrong with AC was, that we relied on so many young players learning their trade, with a new manager doing the same. You need to have experience somewhere in the mix.

He made as many, if not more, bad decisions during games as the players, and has cost us as many points as the players. 

• Like 2

I tried to start a new thread called Dave Flitcroft In ( Podcast) but failed miserably and put it in the Tickets and Travel Section.
Great listen. An explanations of what's happening is exactly what I have wanted and he explained very well and openly dispelling a few myths and urban legends. I thought Dan did an excellent interviewing DF, really representing the fans with his questions rather than a corporate approach. On the abuse I haven't heard or seen anything out than Dave Flitcroft get out of the club which I peronsally don't think abuse but I wasn't at Fleetwood so no idea how personal it got top there.

On the abuse point, he did specifically mention Fleetwood and the home game, but also online which his family were apparently reading.

16 minutes ago, philmpv said:

On the abuse point, he did specifically mention Fleetwood and the home game, but also online which his family were apparently reading.

I was in the Lorne Street for the home game and I never heard anything other than singing get out.

Not nice to hear for him and his family but it's part of football and why he gets paid the big bucks to be a big boy. I've not seen anything online either other than the expletive Off but obviously doesn't mean it's not happened.

Not saying this is the case here but in this day and age I do wonder at times what the threshold is for abuse.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1