onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Reading (A) match thread - Jan 13th

robf

What a mess and it comes as no surprise that we are impeded by the outcome as it stands at the moment. Because that's what it is, an impediment with many variations to Vale. Non of them really positive.
Really annoys me that they just had to pick our game over the debacle of their club to get on the pitch. Out of all the clubs in the league why did it have to be us?

Advert

The game was always likely to be replayed. No issue with that.

We were always going to be refunded for tickets so not sure why Vale have made such a song and dance about the amazing job they think they’ve done in securing the absolute bare minimum.

The fact that the clubs and EFL haven’t managed to find a way to reimburse the away fans - who were entirely blameless in the situation - for travelling costs is the disgrace in the situation imo. Surely the EFL have some form of ability to withhold or deduct amounts from TV money or other funds due to Reading? Added to which Vale suffer the impact of the extra midweek game with a far smaller away support and yet another long midweek trip. 

The sole benefit we’ve had from the situation is the chance for new signings to be made and injured players to return. Even that is hit by the loss of Devine and the chance for further injuries before the game. 

I fully empathise with Reading fans plight but the EFL have set a worrying precedent here.

People act surprised & angry after yesterdays outcome but yesterdays outcome was always going to happen but when that gets mentioned on here after the game, you get shot down.

The only thing where Vale may have helped a little bit more, was to either refund those that have used official coach travel a refund and / or  free coach travel to those going to the re-arranged game.

Those saying that its setting a dangerous precedent (no its not) and saying they would go on the pitch if we are losing a game of football, I double dare you to go on the pitch on Saturday if we are 2-0 down

Not once did Vale fans invade the pitch during our troubles.Reading fans are now saying what a good decision by the EFL and when someONE says Vale have been hard done the response was “Why?”All they are now crowing about is the massive 3 points last night whilst patting each other on the back.How many Reading fans were backing Vale fans when we were run by to55ers?Massive error of judgement by the EFL to be polite but it’s only Port Vale,they won’t mind (remember when Covid stopped the season from being completed when they were on the verge of the playoffs).Stick your tennis balls up your ***e.

3 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

People act surprised & angry after yesterdays outcome but yesterdays outcome was always going to happen but when that gets mentioned on here after the game, you get shot down.

The only thing where Vale could have helped a little bit more, was to either refund those that have used official coach travel a refund and / or  free coach travel to those going to the re-arranged game.

Those saying that its setting a dangerous precedent (no its not) and saying they would go on the pitch if we are losing a game of football, I double dare you to go on the pitch on Saturday if we are 2-0 down

Why should vale refund travel costs. Tell you what you seem you know everything you refund the travel costs, dont forget Vale and the fans were the injured party in all this. By the way did you go?

9 hours ago, Rory said:
9 hours ago, smithie said:
I'll tell you what l didn't want to happen - to expect Vale fans to incur double travel expenses and other costs. That cannot in any sense of the word be fair.
I won't be going to the replay and I'd guess that applies to 80% of our fans from that day.

As annoying as it is for the loyal Port Vale supporters you can't have expected compensation? That never happens.

That's why I said the game should be at ours.

8 minutes ago, Properman said:

Why should vale refund travel costs. Tell you what you seem you know everything you refund the travel costs, dont forget Vale and the fans were the injured party in all this. By the way did you go?

Lets get it it right @Properman, I said that maybe Vale could have offered to refund the people that used the club's "official travel" because we are a far better the club than Reading and it would have been a good piece of PR for the club to say we look after our own. 

Vale fans the injured party? that's going right over the top dont you think?

Yes, I did go - anymore questions?

3 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Lets get it it right @Properman, I said that maybe Vale could have offered to refund the people that used the club's "official travel" because we are a far better the club than Reading and it would have been a good piece of PR for the club to say we look after our own. 

Vale fans the injured party? that's going right over the top dont you think?

Yes, I did go - anymore questions?

It would be very good if you paid, and no it is not over the top. We are the only ones to have lost out.

9 hours ago, valefan79 said:

The thing for me is that Reading fans did this in absoute desperation that their club being killed by the owner and the EFL not doing anything about it.  They saw all other protests not resulting in anything being done and felt this was the way for action, we were the unfortunate team to be playing them.  I keep hearing replies about other teams if at the end of the season they are losing, lets get the game called off, it is completely different.  They would be deliberately trying to get the game called off for their advantage, Readng fans were not bothered about the result of this game, if they were losing, winning or drawing they would have got this game called off, they just want their club to survive.  

The EFL were not doing nothing about it. Maybe they were not doing it fast enough but they are bound by rules. They should have made their point and got off the pitch. It would still have made headlines and they wouldn't have inconvenienced any other team. 

10 hours ago, Rory said:

A question from me to people who went to the fake match and are unhappy with the news, specifically in relation to its impact on the loyal Port Vale supporters - what did you want to happen?

I'm curious as I'm trying to think of a different/better solution.

Thanks and all the best.

No replay, a point each and some proper acknowledgement that Reading FC did bugger all to prevent it happening. 

9 hours ago, Rory said:

A question from me to people who went to the fake match and are unhappy with the news, specifically in relation to its impact on the loyal Port Vale supporters - what did you want to happen?

I'm curious as I'm trying to think of a different/better solution.

Thanks and all the best.

Hi Rory, this is what I would have wished for   :

a) Reading FC to be hit with a minimum 12 point deduction - they knew that something like this was likely to happen and basically did absolutely nothing to try and prevent it.  

b) Reading FC forced to replay the game, from the 16 minutes (or exactly whatever time the Ref deemed) behind closed doors on the Monday after the game.

c) Reading FC forced to play the next 2 home games behind closed doors with a proviso that any subsequent pitch invasions in the remaining home games would result in all remaining home game being played behind closed doors.

d) Port Vale Fans with legitimate claims (ie ticket stubs) to be given full refunds and Reading FC forced to pay PVFC any expenses occurred for the team (travel costs etc) for both the abandoned game and the replay.

With regards my reasoning :

a) They knew that something like this was likely to happen and basically did absolutely nothing to try and prevent it, nor indeed to move the fans that invaded the pitch. A 12 point deduction would give a clear message to ALL clubs that getting a game abandoned is a serious offence and would ensure that in the event of that club winning the replay they would still be worse off.

On a separate note, invading a football field is a criminal offence - has anyone of those people been identified, arrested, fined, banned ? = I doubt it.

b) Replaying the game as soon as possible afterwards gave little or no chance for 'other factors' to come into play - ie new players for either team, players coming back from injury, teams being in better/worse form.

c) The threat of playing behind closed doors would in itself I think be a deterrent to a lot of fans who went onto the pitch, most of whom I believe just went on for the Kudos of being able to brag about it at school on the Monday.

d) Port Vale fans travelled to Reading at considerable expense to see a game of football which was denied them by no fault of their own, similarly the team did likewise. Hitting Reading in the pocket clearly sends a message to both them and other clubs.

Note : At the game, I and many other Vale fans had sympathy with the Reading Faithful, I sang and clapped them, however  I'm sure I and most other Vale fans assumed that once the fans had made their point they would leave and the game would have restarted and gone on to a conclusion. Once that was obviously not going to happen then most Vale fans changed their point of view, along with many many Reading fans in the stands.  

Vale know only too well what can happen when owners turn but, although we may have protested we never got a game abandoned.

I sympathise with Reading, I really do but the EFL have a lot to answer for and it's about time the Government and football authorities along with fans groups got together to try and prevent clubs being in these financial positions in the future.

We all know of plenty of clubs that are in serious debt but are still allowed to spend spend spend, some even have huge debts simply written off by mega rich owners, it's wrong because it just perpetuates the rich clubs being at the top with little or no hope of smaller clubs reaching those dizzy heights.

Something has to change, perhaps the Reading pitch invasion will go some way to speeding up that change.   

Archived