onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Reading (A) match thread - Jan 13th

robf

On 23/01/2024 at 23:03, Crouch End Valiant said:

Just to add to my doom we will lose the rearranged game as is it written in the stars.

I travelled to York City many years ago. It was the season when we first signed Darren Beckford on loan.

The game was called off 1 hour before kick off but we won the re-arranged game on a Tuesday night (which I went to) 4-1.

Then again, I went to Burnley on Boxing Day one year in the mid 90's. The weather was awful and it was before the day's of the internet, so you never got any latest  updates on weather.

We were winning 2-1 with 2 amazing goals by Martin Foyle & Mark Burke but then the game was called off after about 30 minutes because the weather took a turn for the worse. 

We then went onto lose the re-arranged game (which I attended) 4-3

Advert

33 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

I travelled to York City many years ago. It was the season when we first signed Darren Beckford on loan.

The game was called off 1 hour before kick off but we won the re-arranged game on a Tuesday night (which I went to) 4-1.

Then again, I went to Burnley on Boxing Day one year in the mid 90's. The weather was awful and it was before the day's of the internet, so you never got any latest  updates on weather.

We were winning 2-1 with 2 amazing goals by Martin Foyle & Mark Burke but then the game was called off after about 30 minutes because the weather took a turn for the worse. 

We then went onto lose the re-arranged game (which I attended) 4-3

I was at the Burnley game. Also went to Bolton once, got there and it was called off so went to watch Man City beat Plymouth 5-0. Also drove to Cambridge once, got to 5 miles from the grounds only to hear on the radio that the game was off so went on the piss around Peterborough.

49 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

So, you want all the Vale fans prosecuted or banned that entered the playing field v Swindon in the 2nd Leg of the play off?

Entering the field of play during a game rather than after a game is finished is a lot worse.

18 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

I was at the Burnley game. Also went to Bolton once, got there and it was called off so went to watch Man City beat Plymouth 5-0. Also drove to Cambridge once, got to 5 miles from the grounds only to hear on the radio that the game was off so went on the piss around Peterborough.

Can you remember both Foyle's & Burkes goals?

They were unbelievable strikes that now officially do not exist 

13 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Can you remember both Foyle's & Burkes goals?

They were unbelievable strikes that now officially do not exist 

Yep, Burkes especially, the fans really didn’t take to him, he played exceptionally well that game and scored a cracker, things may have been very different for him had that game not been called off.

I was fuming the ref called the game off, the pitch was horrendous before the game started, it wasn’t raining that much during the game yet he waited until about the 60th minute before calling the game off, I thought why not finish the last 30 minutes, it’s not that the pitch was getting much worse. Should never have been played in the first place though.

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Everything was absolutely fine until the Thursday before our game?

Just to add on here - no of course not, we’ve been protesting pretty much all season. The portsmouth game very almost got abandoned from the tennis balls. 

The day or so before the Vale game meeting minutes with our CEO were released where he stated players wouldn’t be sold, no more redundancy’s, trying to sell the club. At the same time whistleblowers pretty much debunked all he said leaking that players were being sold on the cheap, owner was trying to sell our stadium / training ground separate to the club (essentially asset stripping the club) - this was the final straw for most fans where we felt we had to do something to get as most attention as possible, I do appreciate it’s a rubbish situation for Port Vale fans, especially those who traveled, spent money etc but I do think the media attention after is exactly what we needed, it might not save the club but it’s certainly got us into the news cycle which I think is all we could really ask for at this point.

Also I do get the points from people saying Reading should cover their travel, hotels etc, but a club who’s catering team has pulled out because the outstanding bill, player stats company locking out our account and even an official website which hasn’t had the matches updated almost certainly due to an unpaid bill, will never cover this, even if they said they would I wouldn’t expect to ever receive the money! 

18 minutes ago, Quart said:

Just to add on here - no of course not, we’ve been protesting pretty much all season. The portsmouth game very almost got abandoned from the tennis balls. 

The day or so before the Vale game meeting minutes with our CEO were released where he stated players wouldn’t be sold, no more redundancy’s, trying to sell the club. At the same time whistleblowers pretty much debunked all he said leaking that players were being sold on the cheap, owner was trying to sell our stadium / training ground separate to the club (essentially asset stripping the club) - this was the final straw for most fans where we felt we had to do something to get as most attention as possible, I do appreciate it’s a rubbish situation for Port Vale fans, especially those who traveled, spent money etc but I do think the media attention after is exactly what we needed, it might not save the club but it’s certainly got us into the news cycle which I think is all we could really ask for at this point.

Also I do get the points from people saying Reading should cover their travel, hotels etc, but a club who’s catering team has pulled out because the outstanding bill, player stats company locking out our account and even an official website which hasn’t had the matches updated almost certainly due to an unpaid bill, will never cover this, even if they said they would I wouldn’t expect to ever receive the money! 

The media coverage? I know that the reading chronicle are all over it but no-one else seems interested. 

52 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

All those on the pitch for the Robbie concert should be arrested then. It’s worth seeing the full wording of what the law says.

I'm going to be controversial again where the Reading pitch invasion was more of a peaceful invasion even though they would not move, obviously the pitch invasion after we beat Swindon turned out more sinister

1 minute ago, Rampant Zebra said:

The media coverage? I know that the reading chronicle are all over it but no-one else seems interested. 

That’s not the case, it’s been discussed almost daily on Talk Sport since it happened, it’s been covered extensively on Sky News (after Jeff Stelling’s criticism of their initial coverage!), it even made it into some international outlets. It was also of course all over social media and plenty of other clubs fans are discussing our issues now (Brighton fans had a banner highlighting our issues for their televised game this week) - I think before the invasion people knew about the situation but not just how bad it is.

Of course it’s not front page news, but it’s definitely been in the media a lot more than our issues were previously, and I do genuinely think it’s made a difference, time will tell how much of a difference.

8 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Again, what are you going on about?

Talk Sport were having phone in's about it on both the White & Jordon show. & then later that day on the drive time show with Darren Bent & Andy Goldstein.

Sky Sports covered it & all the national newspapers covered it.

It was covered on 5 live extensively.

Are you a daily reader of the Reading Chronicle? 

40 minutes ago, Quart said:

I'm sure you'll agree that the outcome is grossly unfair to PVFC. Will you be addressing this with the EFL and seeking a re-think? It seems reasonable after some of the away support seemingly "stood with Reading". 

Archived