onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Reading (A) match thread - Jan 13th

robf

2 hours ago, leedsvaliant said:
2 hours ago, Stockleys_socks said:
You're right, its definitely not fair on the teams around us if we get 3 points, 3 points that ultimately might send one of them down. Why do we deserve to get 3 points?
A replay and a points deduction for Reading can be the only sensible solution, which ultimately might benefit us.
I can't see how the club would be 'suffering' in those circumstances.

That being said, you could argue that it puts us at a disadvantage for any replay. Smaller following, more difficult for away teams midweek due to travelling on the day...The implications for a match deliberately postponed by one team's supporters is not cut and dried.

Clutching at straws there I think. A very slight disadvantage doesn't warrant 3 points being awarded. The odds were stacked against us getting 3 points on Saturday anyway.

Advert

5 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Port Vale shouldn’t suffer for what happened yesterday, Reading fans and Reading FC caused a game that had started to be abandoned. A replayed game and anything other than 3 points to the Vale means Port Vale will be paying the consequences for what happened. Saying that, it’s not particularly fair on other teams that Vale automatically gain 3 points.

Reading should and will get penalised, the tricky decision is to decide what happens with the game that never was.

From competitive perspective the Reading players don't deserve to be punished. Port Vale players should not gain from this. Its an external public order incident. 

But business rules and public behaviour do impact the sporting environment in football. Reading are adversely impacted by a points deduction this season arising from breach of off field rules. That's operated in a take points of them approach and not give any other team more points. So my argument is that Port Vale can't expect to awarded 3 points. 

What's the punishment then? Close the ground? Fine the club? Both of before. Deduct points - unlikely?? Exclude the club from the L1 competition - very, very unlikely??

I don't see Port Vale gaining from this situation at all. In fact it's all negative by way of adding to fixture congestion. 

8 hours ago, smithie said:

Yep, been there and seen that. I still know this fabled fan solidarity achieves very little. 

The majority of those on the pitch yesterday were there for the fun of it. 

Lots of Reading fans mentioned other fan bases have sung songs about them going bust and the club dying etc.

We're all football fans, and we all want a team to support.

You are very very wrong on this.

10 hours ago, Brian Johnson said:

People claiming that they did not know what was going to happen that are using the internet, social media & forums like OVF, have truly had got their heads buried underneath the sand.

It was mentioned on the first few pages of this thread.

Oh silly me, to think that I didn't trawl through every post of every thread on OVF before I went, how remiss of me. Nor did my dog, but he chose not to go for other reasons. So have we now changed from "every man and his dog knew" to "every internet obsessed man and his dog knew"  I have not got my head in the sand, just not got my head stuck in a computer screen.

With regards to the protest itself. Whilst the aims of the protest was very laudable. To get the game cancelled after 15 minutes playing time when the stadium had over 800 away fans who had spent a lot of hard earned cash getting down there was inexcusable. There was no thought for the Vale fans. When Vale fans successfully campaigned to get rid of smurf, they never did it at the expense of other football fans.

The numbers who took part initially going onto the pitch at the start of the pitch invasion may have looked impressive. However it was made up of 80% kids. There was only about 30 adults who stuck it out to cause the cancellation of the game. The vast majority of the Reading fans stayed in their seats and were shouting at them to get off the pitch.

And what did they achieve. Yes they got some publicity on the day. But today, next to nothing. By having the match cancelled, they will probably get a points deduction, making relegation more likely. The club may well get fined, making their financial situation worse. May even have to play matches behind closed doors, making both the previous points worse. What Vale fans achieved with Smurf was possible because he saw the chance to make a quick buck. I don't this will be the case with the current Reading owner. I fear if they carry on like this they may make the current situation worse. Could be totally wrong though.   

16 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

Lots of Reading fans mentioned other fan bases have sung songs about them going bust and the club dying etc.

We're all football fans, and we all want a team to support.

You are very very wrong on this.

If you were there yesterday you'd have heard some of the Vale fans singing about them going bust. I'm very very right on that. 

Clutching at straws there I think. A very slight disadvantage doesn't warrant 3 points being awarded. The odds were stacked against us getting 3 points on Saturday anyway.
I agree, but the point is a valid one. One could argue that playing the game on a Tuesday rather than a Saturday puts us at a significant disadvantage through no fault of our own. I'm not saying it's necessarily a strong argument but it's certainly valid. What happens if we lose the replayed game and we get relegated by a point? Could we not legitimately point out that we might have won had the game been played on a Saturday after the team had a restful night in a hotel and backed by a noisy 800 or so fans? It's difficult to say.

Bit annoyed we’ve still heard nothing regarding refunds. Imagine they’ll have to cover the tickets but they should do travel too (and parking). Not a cheap journey especially for those who got the train. And parking is the most extortionate I’ve ever seen at a football ground (besides Wembley).

7 minutes ago, leedsvaliant said:
58 minutes ago, Stockleys_socks said:

I agree, but the point is a valid one. One could argue that playing the game on a Tuesday rather than a Saturday puts us at a significant disadvantage through no fault of our own. I'm not saying it's necessarily a strong argument but it's certainly valid. What happens if we lose the replayed game and we get relegated by a point? Could we not legitimately point out that we might have won had the game been played on a Saturday after the team had a restful night in a hotel and backed by a noisy 800 or so fans? It's difficult to say.

It’s a definite disadvantage, plus it causes us a disadvantage for the following Saturday game where previously we would’ve had a free week. Vale should put their foot down and refuse a replay.

13 minutes ago, Powerline said:

It’s a definite disadvantage, plus it causes us a disadvantage for the following Saturday game where previously we would’ve had a free week. Vale should put their foot down and refuse a replay.

Refuse to play a game and you will be deducted points.  I can't believe some of the posts claiming we should be awarded the 3 points, games have to be decided on the pitch.  Forgetting yesterday, would you really have said this if Reading did this on the last game of the season against a team in the bottom 4 who were 2 points behind us.  Would you be saying the opposition should be awarded 3 points to relegate us and that is the fairest thing.

1 hour ago, worldsendvalefan said:

The numbers who took part initially going onto the pitch at the start of the pitch invasion may have looked impressive. However it was made up of 80% kids. There was only about 30 adults who stuck it out to cause the cancellation of the game. The vast majority of the Reading fans stayed in their seats and were shouting at them to get off the pitch.

Did you go on pitch to count them all and ask for ID so that you could clarify their age?

You should not get your head stuck behind a computer screen & write long posts. Its bad for your eye sight and health

Did you go on pitch to count them all and ask for ID so that you could clarify their age?
You should not get your head stuck behind a computer screen & write long posts. Its bad for your eye sight and health
No I didn't go on the pitch to count them. If you bothered to read my post properly I said about 80% of those that invaded the pitch were teenagers. I didn't give exact numbers. And could clearly see that those 30 or so left were mostly adults.
Obviously I don't have to worry about my eyesight unlike yourself. Who judging by the number of your posts, definitely needs to get out a bit more

Sent from my SM-A528B using onevalefan mobile app

Archived