onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Carlisle (A) match thread - 1st Jan

robf

1 hour ago, smithie said:

I think a draw or defeat will be dire and a win will paper over the cracks.

Key for us (or any team) is consistency. A point wouldn't be the end of the world, as long as the performance is decent. 

A win would be great! 3 points and the momentum would continue to build.

After our win against Blackpool, I was asking myself 'How good is this league?'

Even a couple of games ago, after Wycombe, we were something like 16th. I'm thinking 'This league must be crap if we're 16th.'

Now, we go and beat the 8th place side 3-0. Again, 'How good is this league?'

So, for me, CONSISTENCY! And a win builds maintains that!

Advert

15 hours ago, robf said:

After that win over Blackpool ends 2023, how will Vale start 2024?

This is the match thread for the Carlisle game...

Knowing how Vale play after a very good win, we will throw away the previous games hard work, look like a side who has never seen a football before and watch their midfield and strikers stroll through and score a hatful of goals.    Specially as they are bottom of the league (3 wins and 8 draws - last 6 games - LLDLDL) and not scoring many either.  So no doubt we will be the ever giving club.

Or we will be cautious for 20 minutes and then start playing the ball around and scoring a hatful of goals.  Pass the ball around with speed and the young lads will inspire the older players to up their game again. 

Hopefully it will be the 2nd one and another 3 points coming to Vale Park.

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Crosby is almost in a no win situation here. Unchanged ? I'd personally say no.

Asking the two youngsters to play away is a different animal to a home game. Then you could argue that they've got to play away some time. 

If he changes it and we lost he'd get pelters.  If he doesn't change it and we lose he'll be criticised for playing the youngsters away from home. 

What a load of waffle I've just written ! Sure people will get my gist. 

its not waffle its a  pretty sensible post... i don't think he ll play both youngsters. asking a lot of them until their bodies get up to speed. Almost asking for a thigh strain or worse.

I also don't think Crosby cares what anyone thinks he ll pick the team him and his staff feel gives us the best chance of winning the game. Got to be thick skinned to be a professional as long as he has been.

UTV

5 hours ago, JRC said:

I'm not sure how the registration would work as they can't sign him before 1 Jan. He's not officially signed, just the deal has been agreed and training with them. Guess it depends if the FA office is open Monday morning. 

3 hours ago, Congleton Phil said:

According to interview Paul  Simpson  gave over Xmas Armstrong will be available to play starting with Exetet match on the 6th Jan.

Ah yes, possibly the FA are shut like most other offices on New Year’s Day so his registration can’t be processed in time.

Ok folks Carlisle fan here, don't worry too much about Armstrong he can't play until the following week.

So we have to go with what we have, (which unfortunately is not a lot at the moment). Still got a heap of injuries, and certain players who last season were turning games on their heads seemed to have disappeared into the 'Carlisle United' of old, 'Moxon' and 'Gibson' are two that spring to mind.

After saying that we actually made a good fist of it last night at Wigan, but unfortunately poor decisions and a first half to forget, undone us once again. 

Anyway its going to be an interesting game, see you all on Monday.

10 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

If Holy is in goal for Carlisle everyone should know the drill. Low shots at the corner from almost any range and he will do the rest. Be a tough game though, Simpson has done a great job with them so will have them well set up.

Archived