onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale Park Atmosphere

Family Stand Terrier

1 hour ago, JoeB2 said:

There's probably 3 clubs who make/force an atmosphere when their team is playing poorly.

Palace is one, with their Ultras section heavily modelled off German clubs.

I guess you could say Leeds? Struggling to name a third. 

Stoke, long heralded for their intimidating atmosphere, now really struggle. Do you reckon it's because they don't win many games?

Go to a Liverpool game, and they belt out YNWA then sit silently, even if they're winning.

This idea we're a unique club because we have a poor atmosphere, when our stadium is 75% empty and we've won 10 games this calendar year, is missing the wider point. There seems to be the parroting that it was poor in 21/22, which I don't agree with. One of those things that, if folk say enough, becomes accepted belief.

If you want a consistent noise, you create an Ultras section with pyros, drums, and flags, with choreographed chants and a little fella with a megaphone. It isn't for me. It's consistent background noise as opposed to atmosphere.

Leeds don't need ultras, we didn't need ultras in the 90s and 00s, nor did any other club that made an atmosphere. Don't know what the issue is, but something has to change. I also don't want ultras, don't want a big group all dressed in black, definitely don't want a drum. Just want a decent section of fans that sing a range of decent loud songs, which we have plenty but for some reason only ever sing 2 or 3. Some of them we sing <ovf censored> too, like oh when the whites, it's over too quick. And then there are songs that could last ages, like black n White army (helps if you like the manager) and not be these monotonous noises the kids all hum these days.

Advert

Leeds don't need ultras, we didn't need ultras in the 90s and 00s, nor did any other club that made an atmosphere. Don't know what the issue is, but something has to change. I also don't want ultras, don't want a big group all dressed in black, definitely don't want a drum. Just want a decent section of fans that sing a range of decent loud songs, which we have plenty but for some reason only ever sing 2 or 3. Some of them we sing too, like oh when the whites, it's over too quick. And then there are songs that could last ages, like black n White army (helps if you like the manager) and not be these monotonous noises the kids all hum these days.
I blame all seater grounds. Just sucked all the atmosphere out of many british grounds.

Sent from my SM-G781B using onevalefan mobile app

The biggset factor in our current lack of atmosphere is the fact that the away fans have moved to the opposite end of the ground, but the origins of any atmosphere from us have remained at the Hamil end of the ground with the Hamil switch and the remainder of the old boys up the Hamil end of the Railway, that have not migrated to the other end.  The opposition dynamic has been lost.

On top of that, there is the weird mix of family and 'atmosphere generating' fans in the same stand, restrained by allocated seating, so there are factions of fans sitting together in fragmented sections of the hamil, all starting different songs at the same time.  Previously, the singers were all huddled together in the Railway Paddock and Stand, almost in a full depth column, with largely a free-for-all seating arrangement.  I myself rarely took up my season ticket seat in the Railway, but I do now in the Hamil because of the limited fixed area for standing, which I regrettably chose this season!

I can well see me defecting back to the Railway.  The facilities are absolutely horriffic, but I'm too fat and old to be stood huddled amongst the younger lot these days!  I enjoyed the mix of doing that at away games, but sitting up out of the way at home matches taking the game in, rather than stood with the lads having a chant and a moan.  Plus the view is better from the side.

On 28/12/2023 at 21:01, Family Stand Terrier said:

Leeds don't need ultras, we didn't need ultras in the 90s and 00s, nor did any other club that made an atmosphere. Don't know what the issue is, but something has to change. I also don't want ultras, don't want a big group all dressed in black, definitely don't want a drum. Just want a decent section of fans that sing a range of decent loud songs, which we have plenty but for some reason only ever sing 2 or 3. Some of them we sing <ovf censored> too, like oh when the whites, it's over too quick. And then there are songs that could last ages, like black n White army (helps if you like the manager) and not be these monotonous noises the kids all hum these days.

I can remember a night match at Molineux when the large Vale following got stuck into a very loud rendition of

V A Y U L L  V A Y U L L 

And it became hypnotic and never ending. It just went on and on and on

I am not talking a few repeat courses it just went on and on. Not getting louder or quieter it just never seemed to end.

I feel sure it's a game we won, and it was an incredible and truly mesmeric occasion to be part of.

Any recollections anyone?

5 minutes ago, Bede said:

The biggset factor in our current lack of atmosphere is the fact that the away fans have moved to the opposite end of the ground, but the origins of any atmosphere from us have remained at the Hamil end of the ground with the Hamil switch and the remainder of the old boys up the Hamil end of the Railway, that have not migrated to the other end.  The opposition dynamic has been lost.

Totally agree , I sit in the Lorne st. near the Bycars , and the atmosphere has improved since being nearer to the away fans . 

If fans want banter with away fans then just go Bycars side of Railway or Lorne St. It’d soon kick off. 
Friday was a classic with many old boys reverting back to the Railway and getting behind players, yes Loft too, and literally showing up the Hamil Library. 

9 minutes ago, CAVALIER said:

If fans want banter with away fans then just go Bycars side of Railway or Lorne St. It’d soon kick off. 
Friday was a classic with many old boys reverting back to the Railway and getting behind players, yes Loft too, and literally showing up the Hamil Library. 

Why is it becoming a bitch fest between the stands? 
Seriously mate we could just about hear u from right behind the goal in the Hamil 

I’ve come from the stand into the Hamil while I was expecting a lot better in there at least I can get a pint before and at half time without being in a long queue for half hour 

I might come back over myself try a game see if anything has changed though 

9 minutes ago, Packmoor_vale said:

Why is it becoming a bitch fest between the stands? 
Seriously mate we could just about hear u from right behind the goal in the Hamil 

I’ve come from the stand into the Hamil while I was expecting a lot better in there at least I can get a pint before and at half time without being in a long queue for half hour 

I might come back over myself try a game see if anything has changed though 

Stay where you are please. I can get a pint at half time now with ease with all the riff raff in the Hamil 🤣

I don't want to jump up and down and sing. Except occassionally during matches. I applaud, celebrate goals and shout mild abuse mainly at myself when a player does something hopeless.

I've no experience close up of the stand change because I sit in the Lorne Street. I think the change has improved the out of ground pre match experience.

We haven't got the vocal support of a big club. If say Derby fill the away stand then not only are they putting bums on seats they are likely bringing  the10% of their most dedicated supporters. Also it's a bit of a fallacy that big clubs have a constant high level of noise. Liverpool don't at Anfield and we've seen Man City don't. 

So this all said, Vale Park is a bit quiet at times. But realistically the noise level is pretty good for the size of the stadium and how many fans are in it. 

11 hours ago, andy jones said:

I can remember a night match at Molineux when the large Vale following got stuck into a very loud rendition of

V A Y U L L  V A Y U L L 

And it became hypnotic and never ending. It just went on and on and on

I am not talking a few repeat courses it just went on and on. Not getting louder or quieter it just never seemed to end.

I feel sure it's a game we won, and it was an incredible and truly mesmeric occasion to be part of.

Any recollections anyone?

I don't remember that particular game but I do know the chant you refer to. Heard it a handful of times in the 90s. Very effective when everyone is on board with it. Unfortunately these days the kids are all too keen to race through a song too quick. Hate Stoke, hate Delilah, bit even their kids have ruined it because they race through it so quickly.

I've noticed some odd comments on here and twitter from fans that have an affinity to the Railway. As though it's under threat from the Hamil. It needs to stop, we're all Vale fans.

The Railway and Bycars co existed in the 90s with both creating a good atmosphere. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that can be recreated again with the Hamil. I'm still confused by those that say they want banter with the away fans, then stand in the furthest block away from them in the Railway.

There's also been a comment on last night's pod that the Hamil was silent. It wasn't at all. The Railway has this strange phenomena where people in there think they're loud, and then they can't hear others in the ground. Noise doesn't travel well to or from the Railway. Again, they tried to sing in the Railway on Friday night, but it was barely audible anywhere else in the ground. Fans that have moved back to the Railway were mentioned, and they brought a good Atmosphere back with them. Such an odd comment. Did they spend the last 5 months not singing in the Hamil, but as soon as they get in the Railway they find their voices again?

Seen other similar comments that the Railway showed the Hamil up the other night. What absolute tripe. Only Vale fans could create a situation where there's almost a dislike for a section of their own fans. Grow up. We're all Vale fans. Surely everyone should be looking for a solution to make sure the Hamil creates a decent atmosphere, and the Railway too.

I'll keep asking this until someone gives an answer, but is there a reason why the Railway singers haven't moved closer to the Bycars?

1 hour ago, sandyford_valiant said:

Stay where you are please. I can get a pint at half time now with ease with all the riff raff in the Hamil 🤣

The Hamil is a lot better than people are saying mate especially at half time there is no queue as we have 2 bars in the concourse the fanzone and tommys is open via the back door 

In there the atmosphere seems sound 

2 minutes ago, Family Stand Terrier said:

I've noticed some odd comments on here and twitter from fans that have an affinity to the Railway. As though it's under threat from the Hamil. It needs to stop, we're all Vale fans.

The Railway and Bycars co existed in the 90s with both creating a good atmosphere. It's not beyond the realms of possibility that can be recreated again with the Hamil. I'm still confused by those that say they want banter with the away fans, then stand in the furthest block away from them in the Railway.

There's also been a comment on last night's pod that the Hamil was silent. It wasn't at all. The Railway has this strange phenomena where people in there think they're loud, and then they can't hear others in the ground. Noise doesn't travel well to or from the Railway. Again, they tried to sing in the Railway on Friday night, but it was barely audible anywhere else in the ground. Fans that have moved back to the Railway were mentioned, and they brought a good Atmosphere back with them. Such an odd comment. Did they spend the last 5 months not singing in the Hamil, but as soon as they get in the Railway they find their voices again?

Seen other similar comments that the Railway showed the Hamil up the other night. What absolute tripe. Only Vale fans could create a situation where there's almost a dislike for a section of their own fans. Grow up. We're all Vale fans. Surely everyone should be looking for a solution to make sure the Hamil creates a decent atmosphere, and the Railway too.

I'll keep asking this until someone gives an answer, but is there a reason why the Railway singers haven't moved closer to the Bycars?

👏

Archived