onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Wycombe (A) match thread - 23rd Dec

robf

Advert

Some say OVF isnt representative of the fanbase. What is representative of the fanbase is the fans who attend Valepark. If they are unhappy with the offering on the pitch and enough of them stop going then the Boardroom acts. Also if a sizeable part of the crowd who do attend turn against the manager then he goes because if they dont act then the Boardroom comes under fire.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, The man in the pub said:

Some say OVF isnt representative of the fanbase. What is representative of the fanbase is the fans who attend Valepark. If they are unhappy with the offering on the pitch and enough of them stop going then the Boardroom acts. Also if a sizeable part of the crowd who do attend turn against the manager then he goes because if they dont act then the Boardroom comes under fire.

My Lard mate said about Rowett and Neill.

They were dead men walking once the crowd turned against the manager and the gallows humour chants add to that. 

Not a nice environment. Almost waiting to go a goal down and then it's full on boos and pelters.

I get the feeling Crosby is reaching that stage however our owners perhaps aren't reading the room .

• Like 2

It does look like Crosby has lost a decent amount of the fanbase. 

The performance yesterday wasn't great, but I saw it as a positive, battling point.

Wycombe should have come into that game a lot fresher than us having not had a midweek game for a few weeks, whereas we've had lots of games recently, plus we lost arguably our best two players this season to injury 4 days before the game, so I saw it as a decent point in a largely forgettable game.

In the wider picture, we are higher in the league than we finished last season, with more points per game. We also went further in both major cup competitions, so I'm not really sure what the expectation level is.

Like all L1 clubs, we have lots of areas we can improve or do better. But we have a glaring weakness in the lack of strikers who actually score goals. 

Personally, I would give the current set up the January window to try to sort that and see where we are in March/April time. 

• Like 8

6 hours ago, Bimbleabout said:

So our two best and most influential midfielders are out injured. What do people expect?Who can we bring in of equal quality and influence?
We aren't allowed breathing space to try and sort an affective midfield, during a game, without people going mental. The midfield was obviously severely lacking yesterday,for all to see, resulting in 60 odd mins of being over run.
However our defence held firm and Ripley wasn't really tested, apart from making one decent save, and we grew into the game after formation changes and subs etc and came away with a point.
Just the fact that we had formation changes shows that the management were more than aware of our lack of midfield and were juggling on the hoof thru the game to come up with the best option.
Boxing day should, hopefully, be alot different.

I get your point, but what about the other games over the past four months? Games where our two most influential midfielders, Oli & Funso, have played. 

The midfield that started yesterday, simply shouldn’t have been put out. Jason Lowe, as shown against Crewe in the cup, is not a holding midfielder in the ilk of Funso & Oli. He’s far too slow, but we were persistent in playing the same ball into his feet, resulting in Wycombe retaining the ball and put us under the cosh (it’s a good job they were as bad as us). Why did Crosby allow that? Why is Crosby reluctant to switch things up from the start rather than 60 minutes in when a goal down. 

I like Andy Crosby. He’s a proper bloke. I certainly wouldn’t chant some of things which I heard yesterday, as what good does that do? But to move forward, this football club will have to do with someone other than Crosby. He’s not up to the task. 

As JoeB stated, it all depends how you view life. I’m certainly not content with mediocrity. 

I’m just fed up with being the worst football club in League One in 2023.

Edited by Portvale4
  • Like 3

50 minutes ago, mbycars said:

He never is, he's armchair Brian 😅

Like I said before, its a little bit hard to get to games when you live abroad. Its only the last 4 years or so that I have lived abroad but hopefully people have seen some of the posts that I make that before that, I rarely missed a Vale home or away game for around 40 years

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Brian Johnson said:

Like I said before, its a little bit hard to get to games when you live abroad. Its only the last 4 years or so that I have lived abroad but hopefully people have seen some of the posts that I make that before that, I rarely missed a Vale home or away game for around 40 years

I don't remember any posts from you at that time or were you posting under a different user name. Fair play to you for your long term support though.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, mbycars said:

I don't remember any posts from you at that time or were you posting under a different user name. Fair play to you for your long term support though.

Now & again I will post about certain games that I attended. Like last week, when we won 3-2 on a Wednesday night at Ayresome Park in 1990 and then travelling 3 days later to watch Vale lose at Ipswich where Dean Glover missed another penalty.

1 hour ago, Portvale4 said:

As JoeB stated, it all depends how you view life. I’m certainly not content with mediocrity. 

Ah the Hoppers view of life - I genuinely strive to aspire to mediocrity - in anything, never mind Port Vale Achievements.

instead, I'm guessing I will continue to bumble along right at the bottom, going from one minor disaster in life to another - oh yes, I nearly forgot  - Merry Christmas Everyone 🤣🤣🤣😍😍😍😍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Portvale4 said:

I’m just fed up with being the worst football club in League One in 2023.

Is that statistic even correct after our recent wins? And does it take account of our Cup runs? 

Whether it is or isn't correct, our current league placing and points suggest we're really nowhere near as bad as some would have you believe.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Rockape99 said:

I want Crosby to go however if you look at the position  dispassionately we are 15th , win the 2 games in hand(long shot )we are 9th so you can see why the club won’t act ,

I think the two festive home games will make or break it for AC because if the home crowd turn then there is no going back,win both games and things are totally different going into January.

As i said on the Boro thread i backed AC until that game,he lost me then..... can he win me back,who knows,i hope so