onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What are our expectations?

Granville

Advert

33 minutes ago, JoeB2 said:

I want to look forward to Saturday's with a genuine, realistic hope that we can win and leave feeling entertained at 5pm. I want to go to away games with a proper 'buzz' that I could make a few nice memories with my Dad.

Don't expect promotion or to win every week. Winning 9 league games in a calendar year is dull, miserable, and nukes any excitement I have. The games become more a duty than something I'm looking forward to all week.

I don't think I'm asking for too much. Just a good time.

This is Port Vale, expect some extreme lows coupled with some mild highs.  Occasionally the mild highs will reach above mild but never extreme, unlike the lows.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I would expect progress on last season but we are worse off points and position wise. Crosby should have gone at the end of October, it is now too late for a new manager to use the January window. All we can do now is support with the very little enthusiasm that we have left and hope for a miracle.

For Middlesborough, I wouldn't be surprised with a 1-0 win or a 7-0 spanking. In the league we need to be better than four other teams, recent and long term form shows we are slightly better than Exeter, Cheltenham will overtake us and so will the rest. If we keep going as we are with no change in tactics or the way we do things then we are down.

Would our current squad beat the promotion squad? Not a chance, that is really disappointing. No doubt Smithie is still happy to watch us crumble though.

I am still hopeful we can improve in the 2nd half of the season.  If we can't, we'll go down as bottom of the league. 

But, we've had a lot of long term injuries, and we are a couple of wins from things looking very different. 

I try to be a glass half full person. Let's keep the faith and our fingers crossed.  The Boro game is looking pivotal. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, The French Connection said:

I am still hopeful we can improve in the 2nd half of the season.  If we can't, we'll go down as bottom of the league. 

But, we've had a lot of long term injuries, and we are a couple of wins from things looking very different. 

I try to be a glass half full person. Let's keep the faith and our fingers crossed.  The Boro game is looking pivotal. 

Financial gain against the effects of 2 games against an in-form Prem team? Or concentrate on the League. Que sera, sera

20 hours ago, JoeB2 said:

I want to look forward to Saturday's with a genuine, realistic hope that we can win and leave feeling entertained at 5pm. I want to go to away games with a proper 'buzz' that I could make a few nice memories with my Dad.

Don't expect promotion or to win every week. Winning 9 league games in a calendar year is dull, miserable, and nukes any excitement I have. The games become more a duty than something I'm looking forward to all week.

I don't think I'm asking for too much. Just a good time.

Today was exactly what I wanted!

Nice burger and wine in the Bulls Head pre-game.

Front-footed and committed performance from start to finish, with a crowd reacting to the effort with a bit of atmosphere.

Entertaining game.

Good bit of fun when the third went in.

I'm not here expecting us to be top of the table or signing strikers for 7 figures, but I do expect to see a team fight for the points, play positively and on the front foot, and entertain me for my money. Well in Vale.

Edited by JoeB2
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, MelbourneValiant said:

I would expect progress on last season but we are worse off points and position wise. Crosby should have gone at the end of October, it is now too late for a new manager to use the January window. All we can do now is support with the very little enthusiasm that we have left and hope for a miracle.

For Middlesborough, I wouldn't be surprised with a 1-0 win or a 7-0 spanking. In the league we need to be better than four other teams, recent and long term form shows we are slightly better than Exeter, Cheltenham will overtake us and so will the rest. If we keep going as we are with no change in tactics or the way we do things then we are down.

Would our current squad beat the promotion squad? Not a chance, that is really disappointing. No doubt Smithie is still happy to watch us crumble though.

Wow, I'm flattered anyone remembers what I've written given I've forgotten it myself soon after.

Anyway we're crumbling nicely at the moment. 9 points clear of the drop and a League Cup Quarter Final to look forward to. 

You must be gutted. 

• Like 5

I'd be happy with 15th or above that would be progress from last season. Although i feel we are capable of mid table or around 10th if we can be consistent with performances like today & the majority against stevenage. We're very good when we get going & players are on the same page but fragile at the back. Mid table would be a really good season for me 

On 15/12/2023 at 16:04, Granville said:

An open question - what genuinely do most of us think is a realistic target for us this season.

I've been a supporter of Crosby but his recent record is hard to defend.

That said, are we pretty much where we should be given our second season at this level, our budget, our transfer activity, size of fanbase?

My own personal opinion is that I think we are slightly beneath where we should be, but talk of top half finishes and play off pushes etc aren't realistic.

I'm just interested in what others expectations are?

I gave up expectations a long time ago... In a galaxy far far away

That said ... The magic roundabout of speculation must continue. 

In all honesty, Hopefully at least be somewhere midtable.. with a few sore throats on Sunday mornings from having moments to cheer. Most of all though, some good comical banter with OVF's very own poundland pundit team. 

it's like having an army of grumbling uncles. It wouldn't be Vale without you.

Edited by Connolly
  • Like 1