onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Middlesborough H EFL QF Tickets/Crowd

Valiant62

4 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

Might be the biggest game for some time, but certainly not the biggest game in our history.

Agree, it's probably our biggest game in that competition ever based on how far we've got and what a win would achieve if we somehow did so but in our history is debatable certainly. 

I always think 'biggest game in our history' is a difficult statement to quantify.  Some might say playoff finals are or when we won a game in the league to go up or at the other end games that have saved us from or turned the tide in a relegation battle/bad run as what might have happened had we not won.

• Like 1

Advert

1 minute ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Agree, it's probably our biggest game in that competition ever based on how far we've got and what a win would achieve if we somehow did so but in our history is debatable certainly. 

I always think 'biggest game in our history' is a difficult statement to quantify.  Some might say playoff finals are or when we won a game in the league to go up or at the other end games that have saved us from or turned the tide in a relegation battle/bad run as what might have happened had we not won.

I agree, it's difficult to quantify - especially as you say regarding league position/status etc.

However my own personal suggestion would be the 1954 FA Cup Semi-Final, although I wasn't born then (even though my grandkids wouldn't believe it), personally I'd go for that. 

Shambles not sorting out the toilets or extra toilets out for this game. The biggest game in our history and a restricted capacity. Really looks tin pot I'm afraid.
No doubt, more toilets and capacity could be added dependent on sales. Or a permanent job may be possible for the Xmas games. Only the club knows. Maybe the biggest game at Vale Park as far as a cup round goes, not in our history.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

5 minutes ago, Birches Head Fred said:

I agree, it's difficult to quantify - especially as you say regarding league position/status etc.

However my own personal suggestion would be the 1954 FA Cup Semi-Final, although I wasn't born then (even though my grandkids wouldn't believe it), personally I'd go for that. 

I think pound for pound(for want of a better phrase!) that game would probably win in my eyes as well.  Well before my time as well😁.  In my lifetime I'd probably say the 2 games to achieve promotion to the 2nd tier(Bristol Rovers PO final at home with Robbie Earle winner) and away to Brighton a few years later), you could also say the West Brom playoff final(although we lost) as all 3 games carried the same prize basically.  

I guess it depends if some see potentially making a League Cup semi final as bigger than making what is now the Championship(2nd tier) for Vale as a club.  I guess as one as happened 3 or 4 times in our history and last 8 of the League cup is a first it has to be up there?

At the other end of the scale the other game I always think was a big moment(not necessarily biggest game) was when we beat Chesterfield at home a few years ago with 10 men(Whitfield got the winner), genuinely think we'd have been in trouble relegation wise to the national league without that. Admittedly we'd have had other chances to save ourselves after that match but felt like a big turning point.

Sorry we're going off topic here but nice to reminisce!😁

• Like 2

This isn't the biggest game in our history, its a big cup game and one of our biggest cup games but league games can have bigger consequences long term.

This side of the millennium I would say Port Vale 2 Chesterfield 1 is the biggest game in the past 20 years purely for what was at stake and the consequence had we lost. 

• Like 5

Sure is  a exciting game though aint it .

Quarter finalists Port Vale .

Just saying that makes me feel  proud .

Let's encourage them to victory as I ain't turning up watch M/Boro win I'm turning up watch Vale win .

One game away from a semi final if that doesn't get folk encouraging like crazy then footballs not for them 

UTV 

Edited by Devine intervention

4 hours ago, ginginator said:

This got us into a European final 🙃 so has to be the biggest ever game @ Vale Park, I was going to add a side note but you may guess "if only we had........"

Remember that night.  I was there with my old man - both of us on the beers together.  Great night