Advert

January Transfers and Rumours

werstayinup

On 19/01/2024 at 22:03, Nippy Naylor said:

Someone's getting excited 

Eh eh cam down , calm down 👍😆

5 minutes ago, philmpv said:
12 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:
Rot. Every club wants to buy low and sell high. That isn’t a model of anything, that’s what the club has always done. As others have said, Peterborough and Brighton spent money. We got some hopefully talented lads from somewhere else on loan. Not developing anything our own. 

I just think it was all hot air. If the Liverpool and United prem lads are a success then they will simply leave the club and back to square one. 

I don’t think they should not be here, they have a part to play, but they should be supporting a structure of decent players coming through, not be seen as big stars who will keep us up. 

Cut through the bull from Flitcroft and we are left still needing a decent striker, which he reckons is out there in Sweden for some reason, probably because he got Rudgie’s book for Christmas. Forgetting we have Loft for another 18 months thanks to him and have kept Uche thanks to Charlton not wanting to go through with a deal. 

We all know there are great strikers out there, the elephant in the room is that they cost money. That’s what’s really missing here, the money, not the quality strikers. 

Who are these 'great strikers' that you think we should spunk our money on with guaranteed success?

Clarke Harris, 550k of guaranteed greatness who would be worth every penny.

On a lower value note, Will Goodwin who went from Cheltenham to Oxford will be an absolutely great signing as a striker. Only 21. We should have been in there👌

Advert

32 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Hard to say without seeing Gore and Williams play. If they are good, we'll probably have enough.

A Wilson long term injury however and I reckon we're in a dog fight.

.....does Wilson do any injuries other than long term ones..... "he'll back in 2 weeks" never happened, and it's always taken longer, sometimes stretching into months.

On a lower value note, Will Goodwin who went from Cheltenham to Oxford will be an absolutely great signing as a striker. Only 21. We should have been in there
You do realise that JCH would want paying approximately 8-10k a week. So that's another million you can add on top of that.

As for Goodwin, I don't know much about him, but 6 goals and 1 assist this season hardly screams such greatness to say he'd be the answer. In any event, how do you know we weren't in for him and he wanted to stay down south, for example?

Garritys got more goals than either of them so far this season and he's not even a striker!

You're entitled to your opinion though, so crack on.
  • Like 9

27 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

On a lower value note, Will Goodwin who went from Cheltenham to Oxford will be an absolutely great signing as a striker. Only 21. We should have been in there👌

It’s not just the fee. If a bigger club like Charlton who get more through the gate each week than we do couldn’t agree personal terms with JCH realistically what chance would we have without taking a big step towards bankruptcy? It’d be within a year we’d go the same way as Reading.

Goodwin has got less production this season than Garrity.

Edited by Guppys left peg
  • Like 6

14 hours ago, Warren said:

An investigator can bring some soul to an investigation. It is important not to go off on a witch hunt where the investigator starts off only looking at proving guilt. The point of investigation is to look for innocence, guilt and anything in between with an open mind. The Post Office prosecutions are a prime example where this balance doesn't seemed to have happened leading to gross injustice and serious harm to the welfare of many post masters and their wider family etc.

Maybe not the best example to quote, Warren? - it was the investigation that was as flawed as Fujitsu's software!

8 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

I like the optimism, but this idea we were “scouted” because of our abilities as a club that can nurture talent is a load of bull that Flitcroft has spun us for. I hope it works, but I will take his ability to talk well with a huge pinch of salt. 

Man United currently have numerous players on loan at a range of clubs as follows:

44MFEngland ENGDan Gore (at Port Vale)[231

]48DFEngland ENGWill Fish (at Hibernian)[232

]52FWEngland ENGJoe Hugill (at Burton Albion)[

233]66DFEngland ENGRhys Bennett (at Stockport County)[234

]68MFPoland POLMaxi Oyedele (at Forest Green Rovers)[235]

Liverpool

28FWPortugal PORFábio Carvalho (at Hull City until 30 June 2024)[149]

45GKBrazil BRAMarcelo Pitaluga (at St Patrick's Athletic until 30 November 2024)[150

]46DFEngland ENGRhys Williams (at Port Vale until 30 June 2024)[151]

72DFNetherlands NEDSepp van den Berg (at Mainz 05until 30 June 2024)[152]

Not really the mega coup being touted about. Are all these other clubs, Burton, Forest Green, Stockport all specially selected? In fact, all of his peers are on loan at a level below or equal to us. So the idea we have become a pull for a load of Championship level youngsters isn’t true. They are u23 players in teams we often stuff in paint point games. 

There is no special “scouting magic” that has made us more appealing. We used to get players in from Nottingham Forest quite often under Askey in league 2, it just happens that now we are in league 1, the youngsters can now come from the Prem. 

The only reason any Prem team would be keen to loan their youth players is for games. The reason we can offer them guaranteed football is because we have a glaring shortage of quality in first team areas as we have not bought our own guys in. 

Anything else is just Flitcroft fairy tales and decent PR spin. I admit we are far better at that these days. 

Love that you don't mind calling DF a liar, in black and white! 

Obviously, Prem teams want their players to get games...they aren't going to loan them to be a part of the furniture! Just a thought - was it you, recently, who said something like "get any old rubbish in, as long as they fill gaps"? If it wasn't you, I apologise? If it was you - I prefer the way we work now! Don't let your obvious loathing for DF - and, probably the role of DoF  - sway you away from what's happening with the Vale. It seems you don't care if we are becoming a well-liked and respected club? Just as long as we play Popeball all the time and sack off this modern version of football?

• Like 4

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

I really feel it would be beneficial for you to do a deep dive into club and re-evaluate your expectations. 

Questioning where money has gone and your striker suggestions tells me you have missed what’s been going on for the past 3 years or your not listening.

• Like 5

I wasn't there but I did see someone say on X (twitter) that there was a bit about us speaking to Chelsea about some potential loans.

They have a few England U19 left back/ left wing backs and obviously a fair few strikers.

Is this a rumour with legs?

10 hours ago, Walka003 said:

Cumulative millions rather than individual millions I meant. Ivan Toney was approx 650k according to reports at the time, Sriki dembele 500k (I can't be bothered to google more but there'll be others emoji16.png).

It's paid dividends for them obviously, but you have to chuck money at it to make it that system work. The club have said on numerous occasions they can't afford to compete in the UK market basically, what chance have we got of doing an Ivan Toney any time soon.

WWW.PETERBOROUGHTODAY.CO.UK

The problem with quoting the Peterborough model is the club is currently 25m in debt. Due to the high debt level they now have some loans with 18% interest attached. If they don't go up this year they may be next season's Reading.

• Like 2

WWW.PETERBOROUGHTODAY.CO.UK The problem with quoting the Peterborough model is the club is currently 25m in debt. Due to the high debt level they now have some loans with 18% interest attached. If they don't go up this year they may be next season's Reading.
If this is the model that the DoF is aiming for, he might need to reevaluate
  • Like 1