onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Oxford (A) match thread Sep 2nd

ollyandpatch

Advert

I couldn't give a damn what Oxford fans or any other fans think of PVFC, Vale fans know the club, what it and the area it represents stands for and that's what matters.

FYI to Oxford fans, the result was Oxford 1 Port Vale 2 and for all the brains in Oxford your team was out thought and out "Tacticted" if there is such a word.

AC has to be up for manager of the month. Imagine even contemplating that after Barnsley.

Not sure who from Exeter, Bolton & Stevenage are still in the Carabao Cup as well, but to manage the team like he has off the back of the opening day has been something very special. Magnificent.

We've probably had the toughest start on paper of all those teams as well. We've played 2 x relegated Championship sides, the side from last season playoff final & a team that was sat top of the league. You don't win any games on paper but the only one you'd have had us down as favourites for would've been Carlisle at home, so 13 points is something to behold. 

Well done Croz & long may it continue. 

7 hours ago, Doha said:

The comment that I was quoted in was written just after they equalised. "and joint top of the league but your first instinct is to go on about how we dont have lwb cover?" is disingenuous, it wasn't after we'd won.

It really doesn't.

One is a highly rated natural LWB - great - but he played 9 times last season.

One is a young highly rated right sided winger who's only played 10 times in the EFL full stop, forced out of position. 

One is a 16 year old schoolboy who's EFL experience totals 11 minutes. 

You can pontificate all you like but these are literally just facts. 

I just struggle to understand why we've recruited to such a high standard in some areas of the pitch and yet we're seemingly laissez faire about this glaring vulnerability to persist past the transfer window closing. I like many others thought Benning struggled at this level but at least it was his actual position and he was experienced, there were over 4 weeks between him going and the window closing to replace him.

It wasn't from LWB but Barnsley's 7th - Plant was marking, wrong sided, miles off and gave away a free header. Similar story on the other post for Fleetwood's 2nd. Clearly a forward playing an unfamiliar position. We conceded from an unchallenged cross from LWB in the 93rd minute yesterday and then got lucky the scorer took out Devine IIRC with a magnificently stupid foul to go down to 9 men.

The full games are on ifollow for free. Just watch the ones where he's in LWB. The amount of crosses coming in from that side are scary. If you want to delude yourself into not acknowledging it, unlike how the opposition's scouts immediately recognise it because they target him now, fill your boots. 

For me we have grant plant and clarke that are realistic starters in the league at lwb. For me that is adequate could we do with another number yes. Is it an absolute nightmare that we dont no. Do you really think plant had a worse game yesterday than bennings performances i thought he did well on the whole and if your expectating a back up lwb to stop the opposition from getting any balls into the box you are deluded. Mitch clarke allowed some balls to come in from his side why are you not picking this up? Is it because your desperately trying to find some negatives in a team full of positives. I think so. If plant was playing as bad as you are saying why is he still being put there?

and your right opposition scouts are probably targetting him as they would with any inexperienced lad playing wing back regardless of ability or if he was playing out of position. Thats what scouts do identifying where they think they will have joy. But any team in the division will face this.

dont need to watch on ifollow ive seen all the games and on the whole i think plants done okay and hasnt cost us anything. Its all part of his development how can he get better if he isnt playing. Im sure as the season goes on he will get better at all the attributes your crying over. 

2 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

You honestly expect a league one wing back to stop any crosses come into the box over 90 minutes against inform team of the league away from home? Christ.

I think you might be confusing the word 'any' with the word 'all' here.

Yes, I do expect a L1 wing back to stop 'any' (i.e., some) crosses over a 90 minute game against another L1 side. There's literally no point them being on the pitch otherwise.

No, I do not expect a L1 wing back to stop all. It's a percentage game. Speaking of which , the percentage of how many crosses are successful vs how many are blocked is a worry. Particularly as we conceded in the 93rd minute yesterday to this very scenario.

I just want to see round pegs in round holes instead of us getting run ragged in the same tactical manner every game, is that so controversial?

2 minutes ago, Doha said:

I think you might be confusing the word 'any' with the word 'all' here.

Yes, I do expect a L1 wing back to stop 'any' (i.e., some) crosses over a 90 minute game against another L1 side. There's literally no point them being on the pitch otherwise.

No, I do not expect a L1 wing back to stop all. It's a percentage game. Speaking of which , the percentage of how many crosses are successful vs how many are blocked is a worry. Particularly as we conceded in the 93rd minute yesterday to this very scenario.

I just want to see round pegs in round holes instead of us getting run ragged in the same tactical manner every game, is that so controversial?

run ragged? I havent seen us be run ragged since barnsley not sure what games youve been watching. I couldn't care less where players play aslong as we perform on a saturday which we are doing. 3 points is most important thing. Grant was on the bench on Saturday so he should be playing again soon. 👍🏻

5 minutes ago, Vale1995 said:

not sure what games youve been watching.

Every game, actually. The same game everyone else seems to be watching, both RS commentators commenting on Plant getting hounded, and other fans on here discussing the LWB vulnerabilities alike.

Hope this helps.

Archived