onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Barnsley (A) match thread Sat Aug 5th

ollyandpatch

Advert

2 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Which goals? I can see that he didn't follow his man for the third.

Also, he's better in midfield from what I saw yesterday. Shouldn't have switched him.

3rd goal, lost his man, very easy for the Barnsley player to score

4th goal, pathetic effort at a tackle… surely he knew we were in trouble if he didn’t make that tackle, put your boot through it

5th goal, him with Smith allow a 30 plus yard pass through the middle to an unmarked Barnsley player who scores, him more so than Smith should have spotted he was the only forward player and picked him up.

Fourth - can understand what you are saying but I think you're being a bit harsh. Tactically, we should have cover on the half way line to sweep up such a problem. Used to do this basic cover playing down Trubshaw ladsandads back in the day. 

Fifth - Cass at fault for me. Allowed himself to get dragged out into the midfield area, leaving a big whole in the defence. It shouldn't be the wing back who covers centre backs - especially right in the middle of the box.

Why aren't we talking about the CB being responsible?  

We should be talking about the CBs, Jones and Cass were appalling. Looked non league.

Agree switching Sang to RWB lost us the midfield. We were so open through the middle after that.

As others have said, I don’t think the keeper should have a free pass either. The best goalie in the league we’re told. Felt he could have done better with 2 or 3 of the goals. At least the guy’s had the decency to apologise to the fans (on Twitter).

18 minutes ago, Diego Maradona said:

Fourth - can understand what you are saying but I think you're being a bit harsh. Tactically, we should have cover on the half way line to sweep up such a problem. Used to do this basic cover playing down Trubshaw ladsandads back in the day. 

Fifth - Cass at fault for me. Allowed himself to get dragged out into the midfield area, leaving a big whole in the defence. It shouldn't be the wing back who covers centre backs - especially right in the middle of the box.

Why aren't we talking about the CB being responsible?  

He should have taken responsibility for both these goals but do agree about Cass in the fact as where was he for any of the goals? Cass is useless in a back 3, better suited in a back 4 but I’d question even then he’s a division 1 player. 

Fourth - still think you're being harsh but know what you mean. Crosby should have ensured cover on the half way line.

Fifth - if he was to take responsibility and make the challenge within our area, slightly on the left hand side. Fine - may be take responsibility. BUT for me where's Cass? Where's Smith? And with it being slightly on the left side where's Jones/Big Al? These are our CBs

The CBs lost us the game not Sang.

6 out of the 7 goals came from the flanks. Quality into the box, and awful, nonexistent defending. Anyone saying that Ripley has culpability for any of the goals though is out of their mind - he was hung out to dry by the ghosts in front of him.

First was unmarked 10 yards out.

Second he could have maybe intercepted at the front post, but was anticipating the striker at the near post to get a touch.

Third was unmarked 8 yards out.

Fourth was a 1-on-1 he nearly stopped.

Fifth was unmarked 15 yards out and a decent finish

Sixth was a great (unchallenged) header into the bottom corner

Seventh was unmarked 6 yards out.

6 hours ago, Diego Maradona said:

Fourth - still think you're being harsh but know what you mean. Crosby should have ensured cover on the half way line.

Fifth - if he was to take responsibility and make the challenge within our area, slightly on the left hand side. Fine - may be take responsibility. BUT for me where's Cass? Where's Smith? And with it being slightly on the left side where's Jones/Big Al? These are our CBs

The CBs lost us the game not Sang.

D.M.

Understand what you are saying, let it go, time will tell.

If the management team can look at this as OVF have then we should be o.k.. Overall we were shocking, what a terrible performance.

First half ' the midfield ' had possession but created nothing. Plenty of running yes, Ojo looked solid , Garrity put in a tackle or two and Sang ran but nothing to even look like striking forward, helping the strikers and , more importantly, creating chances.

Second half, yes perhaps Plant should have come on buy maybe there is no confidence in him playing RWB. It is a massive ask for any player, as it showed with Sang. Sand had a little bit more experience, very little to be fair and he got the job. RWB was mentioned when signing him. He was poor but like you say Smith Cass Plant certainly Jones could all have been named as at fault for the goals conceded.

What i disliked more than anything was the build up to the season " we are going to be big and strong and more solid in defense. WOW. Our midfield yesterday looked smaller, weaker and certainly had no fight in them than last season. Our two wide men offered nothing out wide to create chances. Yes a great cross for Harrison. Clarke is Gibbons, a defensive RWB. He will cross the odd ball but thats it. Grant, WOW didnt show any forward play for me, offered nothing in front of Jones and looked disinterested second half.

The back three were poor when it mattered. Cass probably isnt first choice but HE IS COVER there and expected to play. He cannot defend, as we have all seen. Jones not for me. Again maybe not first choice but HE IS COVER. He cannot defend well enough. Smith, second half looked all over the place. Could be because of performances either side of him. He has to concentrate on his one and only task. Mark his man in the centre. He can do without captain responsibilities. Not sure how vocal he can be on the pitch.

IF Lowe, Bulmer, Iacovitti are not good enough for us, then we are down. Guaranteed. Lowe has to want to play a tough season of football. Bulmer i dont think has played a league game yet. Iacovitti, hope he isnt just a big lump. These three players have to improve us massively.

Was the first game and after a few more games we can all make our own decisions on players. After yesterday and comments about players we have signed, i am very worried for this season. We look so weak through the team and look short of ' fighters ' on the pitch.

Oh and my pet hate. Wish people would forget stats etc.. Look at what you see on the pitch, make your own mind up and comment. As a club we make mistakes and not every player signed is the best.

Another discussion but to me we are running on a very low budget for this league and , so far , the signings look cheap. You get nothing for nothing ! Oh and for those that say this is stupid, if it is a decent budget then maybe our director of football, recruitment team and manager are at fault !!!

7 hours ago, theresonlyonemcphee said:

We should be talking about the CBs, Jones and Cass were appalling. Looked non league.

Agree switching Sang to RWB lost us the midfield. We were so open through the middle after that.

As others have said, I don’t think the keeper should have a free pass either. The best goalie in the league we’re told. Felt he could have done better with 2 or 3 of the goals. At least the guy’s had the decency to apologise to the fans (on Twitter).

this is a really fair point, apart from those opening 20 mins we were poor pretty much all over the pitch. Same as last season  nobody commanding the defence enough & utter gash going forward. Throw lacovitti in there for me he's a unit so let's give him a chance & we don't have many options in the forward line down to <ovf censored> recruitment yet again 🙄

4 hours ago, The_godfather said:

6 out of the 7 goals came from the flanks. Quality into the box, and awful, nonexistent defending. Anyone saying that Ripley has culpability for any of the goals though is out of their mind - he was hung out to dry by the ghosts in front of him.

First was unmarked 10 yards out.

Second he could have maybe intercepted at the front post, but was anticipating the striker at the near post to get a touch.

Third was unmarked 8 yards out.

Fourth was a 1-on-1 he nearly stopped.

Fifth was unmarked 15 yards out and a decent finish

Sixth was a great (unchallenged) header into the bottom corner

Seventh was unmarked 6 yards 

30 minutes ago, Sandyford_Lion said:

D.M.

Understand what you are saying, let it go, time will tell.

If the management team can look at this as OVF have then we should be o.k.. Overall we were shocking, what a terrible performance.

First half ' the midfield ' had possession but created nothing. Plenty of running yes, Ojo looked solid , Garrity put in a tackle or two and Sang ran but nothing to even look like striking forward, helping the strikers and , more importantly, creating chances.

Second half, yes perhaps Plant should have come on buy maybe there is no confidence in him playing RWB. It is a massive ask for any player, as it showed with Sang. Sand had a little bit more experience, very little to be fair and he got the job. RWB was mentioned when signing him. He was poor but like you say Smith Cass Plant certainly Jones could all have been named as at fault for the goals conceded.

What i disliked more than anything was the build up to the season " we are going to be big and strong and more solid in defense. WOW. Our midfield yesterday looked smaller, weaker and certainly had no fight in them than last season. Our two wide men offered nothing out wide to create chances. Yes a great cross for Harrison. Clarke is Gibbons, a defensive RWB. He will cross the odd ball but thats it. Grant, WOW didnt show any forward play for me, offered nothing in front of Jones and looked disinterested second half.

The back three were poor when it mattered. Cass probably isnt first choice but HE IS COVER there and expected to play. He cannot defend, as we have all seen. Jones not for me. Again maybe not first choice but HE IS COVER. He cannot defend well enough. Smith, second half looked all over the place. Could be because of performances either side of him. He has to concentrate on his one and only task. Mark his man in the centre. He can do without captain responsibilities. Not sure how vocal he can be on the pitch.

IF Lowe, Bulmer, Iacovitti are not good enough for us, then we are down. Guaranteed. Lowe has to want to play a tough season of football. Bulmer i dont think has played a league game yet. Iacovitti, hope he isnt just a big lump. These three players have to improve us massively.

Was the first game and after a few more games we can all make our own decisions on players. After yesterday and comments about players we have signed, i am very worried for this season. We look so weak through the team and look short of ' fighters ' on the pitch.

Oh and my pet hate. Wish people would forget stats etc.. Look at what you see on the pitch, make your own mind up and comment. As a club we make mistakes and not every player signed is the best.

Another discussion but to me we are running on a very low budget for this league and , so far , the signings look cheap. You get nothing for nothing ! Oh and for those that say this is stupid, if it is a decent budget then maybe our director of football, recruitment team and manager are at fault !!!

Grant looked no better than Benning which is a worry 😂

8 hours ago, Diego Maradona said:

But is this true of Sang? Or a 'bandwagon'?

What about Cass, Smith, Jones? No ones talking about our CB defending crosses. 

I just feel some fans are 'lazily' finding a scapegoat / someone to blame because they are annoyed. But, 1. It's not fair 2. It's simply not true about Sang.

For me - the only player to appear to try has been our goalie and the subs that came on.  The rest of the team seemed to be void of fight after the 3rd goal went in..  Yes I mentioned Sang pulling out of tackles, as that was what he seemed to be doing from Yate's commentary.

Cass, Jones and Smith.  They all had bad games, but so did all the players.  We held our own for 20 minutes and then 2 mistakes and that was enough for Barnsley to take the upper hand and their quality came out.  If we had a striker and not Massey (trying), and we had scored - then it could have been a different outcome.  Who knows.

Rock on tomorrow's game and hopefully a different Vale team will appear.

6 minutes ago, DaneValiant said:

Just stay safe at work today everyone. I only have two Stoke fans to dodge and the biggest loudmouth works from home on a Monday. The rest are Premier League glory hunters who probably don't look that far down the results pages.

Couple of Barnsley fan friends have said can we play you every week already.  They said for 20 minutes it was a close game.  Then quality took over and it showed that your team are just getting to know each other - how each other play.  They said it was one of those days when their strikers actually hit the net.  Normally they shoot wide/over or just fluff their shots.

Archived