onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Official: David Worrall to leave Vale Park

News Feed

I found the interview hard to watch, I can't think of any previous players who have come out and being so honest about their feelings when leaving the club.

I also thought it showed it's easy to forget footballers are only human at the end of the day, and have all the vulnerabilities every body else has, Wozza has been a credit to the football club and also to himself and family.

Advert

19 minutes ago, Valiiant said:

His best days are clearly behind him but will still do a fine job in League Two. If you're a Barrow fan you can only be made up with that signing. A good lower league player and a genuinely top bloke and model pro.

Look forward to us hopefully signing someone out wide with a bit of pace though, I have to say.

Love Wozza, but I am leaning towards this opinion. On a 1 year deal he would been a good squad player, but at the likely top end of our earners, maybe it’s best that he leaves on a high.

He seems a great bloke and has played with his heart on his sleeve for the last 6 years. We think the world of you Woz, but as you said, all good things come to an end. You have represented Port Vale with pride, dignity and honour. One of my favourites. Good luck Woz, go well 🖤🤍

Absolutely gutted! Simply can not understand the logic of allowing three of the best players at the club to leave. You can't use Wozza's age as a reason for not giving him an extra year, he is probably the fittest player at the club! Anyone suggesting Plant as a replacement has to remember that he's only 17, and young players can be very inconsistent, just look at Forrester and Donnelly as examples. Surely Wozza's help and advice would have been invaluable to Planty. All the best Wozza, thanks for everything you've given to the Vale over the years, we'll never forget you.

I was totally against Willo leaving, quoting his injury record last season is irrelevant, anybody can get a serious injury at anytime. We could sign Stockton or May and they could get a bad injury in the first match and miss half the season, who knows. Willo may or may not be injury free next season, and no one, how ever much they claim, knows any different. It's no good just quoting the number of goals he scored it's also about the importance of the goals he scored, as well as his overall contribution. We would still likely be a league 2 club without Willo. The releasing of Tom Pett, probably the best midfielder last season, also appears to make as much sense as allowing Connor Hall to leave before we had a decent replacement in place. Have these decisions been taken by Flitcroft or Crosby? I would love for somebody at the club to explain the thinking behind them, but of course as usual that won't happen. I'm currently extremely worried about starting next season without three, maybe four if Garrity doesn't re-sign, of our best players. I have little faith, in view of the most recent transfer windows and the supposed lack of funds, in the club bringing in suitable replacements. I can see a scramble to bring in a couple of panic buys a month before the start of the season. Maybe Mipo and Thierry Small will still be available. I really hope I'm wrong and I will happily apologise! UTV

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

There's an argument for a 2 year deal, morphing into player coach. And then if not up to League one for 24/25 season he concentrates on coaching whilst retaining a squad number. 

Absolutely right Darren.

It's a tad frightening what is in the mindset of those involved in recruitment at Vale park if they can't see the same logic viz Wozza, perhaps there's other things involved but he seemed happy at Vale Park.

Also I just don't get this age thing, as another poster has said, Wozza looked one of the fittest players at Vale, age is just a number. 

I've never seen an interview with a player leaving his club that brought me so close to tears. His love for the club, the Vale family and staff, and Carol in particular shines throughout, and totally dispels - for me - any of the cynicism and conspiracy-whispering that has gone on over the last few months, or so! Wozza comes across as a totally amiable guy, who must have been an asset in the dressing-room...and will be, again - I have no doubt, when a coaching job becomes available after he's hung up his boots? 

I don't blame the Vale for only offering a one-year deal - that's common practice through the Leagues. But I think Woz recognised that which is why he decided the time to leave is now, rather than stay on and, maybe, start to spoil the memory of his time with us?  He goes with my blessing and best wishes, and thanks for the memories - a true Vale legend...and one who will be back, with his family, anytime he wants to come back? 

1 hour ago, Boslem's Brazil said:

Love Wozza, but I am leaning towards this opinion. On a 1 year deal he would been a good squad player, but at the likely top end of our earners, maybe it’s best that he leaves on a high.

He seems a great bloke and has played with his heart on his sleeve for the last 6 years. We think the world of you Woz, but as you said, all good things come to an end. You have represented Port Vale with pride, dignity and honour. One of my favourites. Good luck Woz, go well 🖤🤍

I would have been more than happy to keep him as a squad player, his versatility will be missed. But I'm also looking forward to seeing some new, younger faces come into the club. We looked a really tired side in bad need of fresh ideas and fresh faces in the second half of last season and I welcome all of the changes as long as they are replaced adequately. The proof will be in the eating, of course, in the coming days and weeks.

14 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Absolutely right Darren.

It's a tad frightening what is in the mindset of those involved in recruitment at Vale park if they can't see the same logic viz Wozza, perhaps there's other things involved but he seemed happy at Vale Park.

Also I just don't get this age thing, as another poster has said, Wozza looked one of the fittest players at Vale, age is just a number. 

James Milner is playing premership football at 37 , I agree age should be no barrier if a player is fit , and like Wozzer retains there enthusiasm . Could have still done a job for me and helped young Planty develop .

Unbelievable, the most talented player at the club. At 32, a two year contract should not have been a problem. His experience alone is worth the extra year. Seriously worried already. As others have said Wilson was also worth the gamble for his quality.

4 hours ago, Smallthorne clampet said:

James Milner is playing premership football at 37 , I agree age should be no barrier if a player is fit , and like Wozzer retains there enthusiasm . Could have still done a job for me and helped young Planty develop .

How many other James Milners are there? How many over-30s did Arsenal ever offer contracts to? Where do you draw the line, with both age and fitness? I'm pretty sure, when we were coming up to DCs first retained list, that some had been saying they didn't think Wozza would be staying - his legs had gone; couldn't go past a player anymore?

Fittest player in the club (I mention this because someone had given Woz that accolade) - according to Ben Garrity - is Tom Conlon...but, maybe, not now after that last injury he got? I get it, when heroes come towards the end of their careers - I never wanted Nippy to go...nor Jon McCarthy...thought Mark Goodlad was the best GK I've seen down the Vale - other than Neville Southall? But, time marches on and the only way to know whether it's a good / bad decision to let someone go, is after they've gone - certainly not before! 

4 hours ago, ADS said:

Unbelievable, the most talented player at the club. At 32, a two year contract should not have been a problem. His experience alone is worth the extra year. Seriously worried already. As others have said Wilson was also worth the gamble for his quality.

Sorry? Based on what ? His 3 goals*** and 1 assist, last season? (***from 27 shots - from 25 games)?

I know he's a quality player, and was in my top 3 favourites over the last couple of years...and I don't enjoy using stats against him...but, this season he didn't really do enough. And, let's not forget - he turned down a new contract...and none of us knows what he was offered!

6 hours ago, ADS said:

Any more you want to keep?  New manager new broom and all that. 

He’s 33 in a couple of weeks , nearly 35 when finishing the season after . We have to move on as hard as it seems at times

11 minutes ago, Emile said:

I can't help but think a player coach role would have worked for both? 

I think that would have been an excellent suggestion but we don’t know who themanager has chosen as his team; I think Legg would be good but I feel Wozza had already decided on going to Barrow on a two year contract and who knows what his signing on fee and contract but good luck to him as he has been a loyal servant 

Sevilla beat Juventus last night to reach the Europa League final with a 37 year old, Jesus Navas, a 35 year old Papu Gomez, and a 35 year old captain Ivan Rakitic in the team! Also the winning goal was scored by 31 year old Erik Lamela. Age is not a barrier to playing good football. Didn't Andy Crosby say as much in a recent interview, which makes the decision to not give Wozza a two year contract difficult to understand. Wozza is relatively young compared to these people and unfortunately Barrow will have the benefit of his skill and experience, because we wouldn't give him an extra year on a new contract.

Archived