onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Oxford United v Port Vale

Fosse69

On 09/11/2022 at 15:04, Breadwinner said:

Hi just a question as be getting train from Basingstoke to Oxford ,is it Oxford parkway or Oxford train station what is closer to the ground ?
Thanks in advance as don't want get off at 1 and end up walking 10 miles I don't mind walking a few miles say 2 lol but 10 no way and I don't if I can help it get taxis or buses as i prefer a walk
UTV

4 mile from Oxford Station and even further from Parkway...taking the bus...allow plenty of time of up than hour

Advert

On 07/11/2022 at 22:06, osprey said:

Last time I went to Oxford was their last game at the Manor Ground

1-1 draw with Tony Naylor equalising in the 89th minute 

Last time I went Oxford we lost 5-2, Mark Stein scored 2 and Martin Foyle played for Oxford. This was our first match of the season and I went to the previous game which happened to be the last game of the season before (0-0). I’ll be there again on Saturday.

On 09/11/2022 at 07:34, Hitcher said:

It's a weird place isn't it the Kassam stadium. The view from the stands is actually quite decent but the 3 stands, unfilled corners, TGI Fridays / megabowl vibe just makes the whole thing seem a bit off.

Recent games there have been weird too. The whole away fan experience is like being trapped in an episode of eerie indiana or that moment in the morning when you are waking up but your mind is still dreaming.

Anyway a thumping 2-0 win for the vale. Smudge from a corner and a 25yrd freekick from Conlon.

Oxford have to find a new stadium. Their licence at Kassam expires in 2026 after which they will have nowhere to play. It's known they will not be allowed to renew the licence nor allowed to buy the stadium. They are in liaison with Oxfordshire County Council to try and build a new stadium - somewhere. 

4 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Anyone going? Seems to have gone a bit quiet on here...

I'm going. This is something of a nightmare journey for me from Liverpool by train. But I'm mad enough to do this sort of stuff now I've retired. Got to change train at Wolverhampton - I can reminisce about Banks's Brewery. 

I am contemplating walking 5 miles to the stadium. Walking 5 miles back is marginal for the train and so I will likely use a means of transport. 

A stadium that has an open side - reminds me of Newport. 

4 mile from Oxford Station and even further from Parkway...taking the bus...allow plenty of time of up than hour
Cheers thinking I may drive it only 1 hr and 18 from Alton Hampshire.
But if can get train it depends on what time game finishes and how regular buses are back to station as if game finishes at 5 to 5 there's a train at 17.32 which is fine if can jump straight on bus back to station to get 17.32 back to Basingstoke ..
Mind you can be sitting in traffic a hr after game and for 15.20 return cannot be bothered with that .
So still haven't got ticket yet as not sure what route I'm going take as I enjoy driving if roads empty, and trains a great way travel and can have a beer then and it would feel like a proper away day .
Hopefully sold a good 6 to 700 .
Wouldn't surprise me if either more or less football ain't cheap and folks be still livid at going out in first round last week if not they should be .
UTV

Will collect my ticket on the day, but one and only time I’ve been Oxford away previously was arguably in our best season (in my living  memory) when we just missed out on the playoffs to the prem.  We lost to them down the road then Wolves and drew with Palace in our last 3 games only to miss out to Palace, in the last play-off spot, by 4 points! - the zenith of our 90’s success period.  That was also the season we were 4-0 up at HT against QPR in a Sunday televised game and ended up drawing 4-4, we sold Steve Guppy to Leicester, Ray Walker retired (well went to play for Leek) and the also the year, on the day we played Oxford, that the Grand National was postponed because of an IRA bomb scare (it subsequently becoming the ‘Monday National’).

Not seen the boys win live since Cambridge so here’s to a boat race double - 2-0 a Sammy Robinson screamer from outside the box and a diving header from Ellis (he’s due one!) from a Sammy sizzler of a cross.

UTV!

Another Wycombe type game. Happy to go and play our game and match them 1-1, don’t sit back because it’s away. I think our passing is crisper away because of Vale’s surface, so let’s keep the ball!

I also notice there’s an extended gap between the Charlton and Argyle. It would be nice to get some players back to contest that and make the line up unpredictable with deeper strength to choose from.

13 hours ago, Breadwinner said:

Cheers thinking I may drive it only 1 hr and 18 from Alton Hampshire.
But if can get train it depends on what time game finishes and how regular buses are back to station as if game finishes at 5 to 5 there's a train at 17.32 which is fine if can jump straight on bus back to station to get 17.32 back to Basingstoke ..
Mind you can be sitting in traffic a hr after game and for 15.20 return cannot be bothered with that .
So still haven't got ticket yet as not sure what route I'm going take as I enjoy driving if roads empty, and trains a great way travel and can have a beer then and it would feel like a proper away day .
Hopefully sold a good 6 to 700 .
Wouldn't surprise me if either more or less football ain't cheap and folks be still livid at going out in first round last week if not they should be .
UTV

I am getting a 18.39 back North. It's a long way back to the station. At Vale Park before Covid-19 I used to get a 17.29 and walk there. That was a cant hang about level walk. Oxford is a lot further away from it's station. 

Looking forwards to tomoz ticket brought make that 867 away following just got nip up Vale get it .
Ellis Harrison will score tomoz .
I'm going for a very optimistic 2 -1 win my last three away results have read 0-3 win epic Mansfield 2-1 defeat Swindon and 2-1 away win fa Cup Burton Albion .
Team like see forrester back we have missed him.and Connor Hall you cannot keep conceding average 2 goals a game and expect keep on picking up points , and keep on playing the same players I'd change the goalie aswell but we cannot so hopefully Stone goes out with mentality clean sheet .
UTV

Got fond memories of Oxford away; Phil Ashley organised my stag night there a long time back.  The good old days! (That was at the Manor Ground, though)

When the fixtures came out I did have Oxford marked down as one of the games i'd get to as a South West Valiant - but, sadly, still unemployed, so will watch on TV at home.

Think we'll end up close to 1000 SVA away.  Class!

I'm going for a cheeky 2-0 Vale win.  I think we're well worth our place in top half of the league and it would be brilliant to keep the confidence high and be one of the few teams to beat Plymouth this season.

No Willow but i'd expect to see Harrison back and with Mipo leading from the front, and with Butterworth playing in behind them.  Dennis comes on in the second half.

I'd also like to see us play a high-press game and really attack them; if we get an early goal their heads could go down and their fans could get on their backs.

COME ON VALE!!

Archived