onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Vale Park stadium improvements

robf

23 hours ago, robf said:

Yeah, it makes sense to keep that corner empty as a "buffer" between the Railway and the Bycars when the ends change over.

If every seat is available in the existing stands then we should be somewhere near 17k* which we clearly are not anywhere near right now - so perhaps the priority should be to bring the stands back to full capacity which should be enough without even the need to re-open that corner. 

* not even including the 1,500 which the unopened half of the LS would add

I may be the odd one out here, but I would quite like to keep that corner stand as it is to preserve the "old part" and just put a scoreboard in it. I think that it would be nice to keep some of the heritage of the old ground as we update the rest.

Advert

13 minutes ago, Row L said:

I may be the odd one out here, but I would quite like to keep that corner stand as it is to preserve the "old part" and just put a scoreboard in it. I think that it would be nice to keep some of the heritage of the old ground as we update the rest.

You’re not on your own, I’m of your opinion and I know I’m not on my own.  I’ve only sat in there on and off over the years but I know of quite a few fans who’ve grown up in that stand and would be sad to see it go.

22 minutes ago, Row L said:

That's also what I was thinking. I don't think it needs to be flattened to accommodate a scoreboard. 

That's also what I was thinking. I don't think it needs to be flattened to accommodate a scoreboard. 
I think it will be there for a while, front seats covered to give a barrier and earn advertising revenue. Rear seats could be used should we ever need them and economic to make the stand safe. More likely the future of the Railway will be more urgent.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

I think it will be there for a while, front seats covered to give a barrier and earn advertising revenue. Rear seats could be used should we ever need them and economic to make the stand safe. More likely the future of the Railway will be more urgent.

Would earn a sight more revenue for the club if there was people sitting in the seats rather than an advertising banner.

I remember standing in the Bycars as a lad, toying to imagine what it would look like full, as it swept round from the Railway to the Bycars. Unfortunately, never really saw it happen, though I sketchely recall a bit of mither in there, when we played Burnley in the cup in 1977 in front of over 18k. Good afternoon,  Colin Tartt 😀  Just a thought, I wonder what he'd have made of Mr. McKirdy?  Probably sausage meat. 

I remember standing in the Bycars as a lad, toying to imagine what it would look like full, as it swept round from the Railway to the Bycars. Unfortunately, never really saw it happen, though I sketchely recall a bit of mither in there, when we played Burnley in the cup in 1977 in front of over 18k. Good afternoon,  Colin Tartt   Just a thought, I wonder what he'd have made of Mr. McKirdy?  Probably sausage meat. 
I used to stand in the railway and then the bycars as a lad. I used to look and wonder why the roof of the bycars only covered the back half of the stand. We used to be able to stand near the front but if it rained everyone could normally move back and get under the cover. The corner stand roof is the last remaining remnants of that strange affair. Even my 1988 road atlas of Stoke has the plan view of vale park drawn with half a roof for the corner and bycars. I think it was condemned when we beat Bristol rovers in the play offs and the non maintenance of the ground bit the club on the arse. The roofed area was boarded off with hoardings whilst it was demolished and yellow seats put in on the terrace in the open to comply with seating rules. All home games at that time were made all ticket until it was sorted which stopped me attending as I couldn't get tickets due to work and my dad stopped going because he couldn't sit in the seats.

I used to stand in the railway and then the bycars as a lad. I used to look and wonder why the roof of the bycars only covered the back half of the stand. We used to be able to stand near the front but if it rained everyone could normally move back and get under the cover. The corner stand roof is the last remaining remnants of that strange affair. Even my 1988 road atlas of Stoke has the plan view of vale park drawn with half a roof for the corner and bycars. I think it was condemned when we beat Bristol rovers in the play offs and the non maintenance of the ground bit the club on the arse. The roofed area was boarded off with hoardings whilst it was demolished and yellow seats put in on the terrace in the open to comply with seating rules. All home games at that time were made all ticket until it was sorted which stopped me attending as I couldn't get tickets due to work and my dad stopped going because he couldn't sit in the seats.
Simple answer the Bycars stand came from the old Rec in Hanley, which was only that deep on the passage side.

1 hour ago, Old fort said:

I remember standing in the Bycars as a lad, toying to imagine what it would look like full, as it swept round from the Railway to the Bycars. Unfortunately, never really saw it happen, though I sketchely recall a bit of mither in there, when we played Burnley in the cup in 1977 in front of over 18k. Good afternoon,  Colin Tartt 😀  Just a thought, I wonder what he'd have made of Mr. McKirdy?  Probably sausage meat. 

I was in the Hamil and saw the Burnley fan fall through the roof !!

6 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

How old is the railway stand?

Archived