onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Lionesses

SFBT

6 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

. Not Man v Woman, but Man and Woman v Man and Woman.  Obviously can play against each other but not at a competitive level.  But years ago Women were banned from playing football.

The women's games were so popular, and attracted such big gates that certain people believed it would be to the detriment of the men's game if allowed to continue.

"Gail Newsham, the author of a book on the Dick Kerr Ladies, believes the record-breaking Boxing Day match, which followed games watched by more than 35,000 at Old Trafford and 25,000 at Deepdale, was instrumental.

“The Goodison match would have sent a seismic shock throughout the football world, because so many people went to that match. We must remember that in 1920 they had expanded the men’s leagues – there was a new Division Three, North and South – so they had practically doubled the amount of clubs and all these people are going to watch women’s football as opposed to men’s football. There was going to be a conflict at some stage, wasn’t there?

“The Goodison match acted as a wake-up call. The FA then started stepping in to make it more difficult for clubs to let the grounds to women’s teams. Teams and clubs had to supply statements of accounts after every game and they couldn’t play without permission from the FA. They were putting obstacles in the way throughout 1921. Then came 5 December, when they dealt the fatal blow and banned them from playing.”

Advert

5 hours ago, darren1810 said:

The very same BBC where Eilidh Barbour was bemoaning the fact that no black players are in the England women's team.

Top 10 earners at the Beeb are all white.

The BBC is an outdated relic that needs modernisation and the licence fee scrapping. 

While they are at it get rid of Lineker, Scott and Graham Norton!! 

And Jonathan Coleman!!!

It would seem Eilidh Barbour is not aware of England squad members Demi Stokes / Jess Carter / Nikita Parris? Not in the team, maybe...but that's only because the team selected at the start hasn't  let  Sarina Wiegman down, or been injured or suspended and she's clearly of the "If it ain't broken..." school of thought?

If England win on Sunday, they will have to earn it.

I'm a bit concerned about the defence, I thought Millie Bright struggled against Spain, although a physical battle might suit her strengths.

I also thought Lucy Bronze, of all people, looked out of sorts.

Plus the keeper, for all her strengths, doesn't fill me with confidence from crosses.

If the midfield and attack perform again, there's no worries on those areas.

Looking forward to another good contest.

3 minutes ago, SFBT said:

If England win on Sunday, they will have to earn it.

I'm a bit concerned about the defence, I thought Millie Bright struggled against Spain, although a physical battle might suit her strengths.

I also thought Lucy Bronze, of all people, looked out of sorts.

Plus the keeper, for all her strengths, doesn't fill me with confidence from crosses.

If the midfield and attack perform again, there's no worries on those areas.

Looking forward to another good contest.

They do look a bit suspect with balls in the air, and Popp could exploit this. On the other hand can Germany handle our attackers? Intriguing 

Archived