onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Summer transfer targets/rumours, retained list etc

werstayinup

Advert

2 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

What you’re suggesting is that we’ve done it deliberately then?

I think we have and we haven't. Do I think they have deliberately wanted to get to this stage with the squad how it is? No absolutely not. Do I think they have played hardball with a number of targets and its backfired? Yeah I do. I think there will be a lot of lessons learned by all when the window finally shuts.

Walka003 my question related to players that would improve us as a club over the season. Not short term stand ins like Tommy Mac. We will be signing strikers that can improve us as a league 1 club i.e. minimum is at least as good as Wilson and Procter. I think you know that TBH.

1 minute ago, andy jones said:

Walka003 my question related to players that would improve us as a club over the season. Not short term stand ins like Tommy Mac. We will be signing strikers that can improve us as a league 1 club i.e. minimum is at least as good as Wilson and Procter. I think you know that TBH.

I didn't take it that way. Fair enough. Still think Edmondson, Telford and Marquis would improve us and help us this year. 

1 minute ago, Walka003 said:

I didn't take it that way. Fair enough. Still think Edmondson, Telford and Marquis would improve us and help us this year. 

Marquis I certainly agree with you. Edmondson I think given we had him on loan for half a season I’m certain the management team will have evaluated how they think he’d cope with the step up. I reckon if we wanted him we’d have got him, loved his attitude but it does need more than that. Telford to me he just screams one season wonder and I think he’ll struggle for double figures this time but might be wrong. 

4 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

I think we have and we haven't. Do I think they have deliberately wanted to get to this stage with the squad how it is? No absolutely not. Do I think they have played hardball with a number of targets and its backfired? Yeah I do. I think there will be a lot of lessons learned by all when the window finally shuts.

Played hard ball?  I think you mean stuck to our current wage structure.  That’s the only hard ball we can play.

Flipping your idea it on its head, maybe any players we’ve failed to sign have been the ones playing hard ball, stringing us along in order to get the best deal possible, before signing elsewhere. 🤔

I was disappointed to lose both the loanees TBH.

However, neither are league 1 ready made quality.

I would hope that the bids we have tabled are genuine league 1 with a proven goalscoring record.

Time will tell. 

It's a frustrating wait for all of us, isn't it.

In 3 weeks we will be either looking forward with optimism, or deep doo dah!

I just hope that having waited so long we don't now panic buy some dross.

The player will also have to fit the club ethos of course as well.

I think the latter statement is an interesting one, as I think fans might be more interested in the net bulging than their character.

You are missing the point. I am aware that the transfer window traditionally closes after the start of the season, so are most clubs I expect. What I was trying to say was that it was a sensible approach to the season to start with 11 fit players, one for each position and then chop and change the supporting players if necessary so that you have a back up for each position. 
It didn't happen for various reasons, but it is not the end of the world, we have fixtures in August with teams that will not lose many points, no need to panic.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

I like that stat.
What % of them stayed up when they didn’t get 8 points from the first 5 games?
If it’s still high then it may overplay the importance of those first 5.

Especially in the Prem, it depends very much who the fixtures are with. Many teams also have false starts.

Sent from my SM-A715F using onevalefan mobile app

30 minutes ago, Guitar Ray said:

Played hard ball?  I think you mean stuck to our current wage structure.  That’s the only hard ball we can play.

Flipping your idea it on its head, maybe any players we’ve failed to sign have been the ones playing hard ball, stringing us along in order to get the best deal possible, before signing elsewhere. 🤔

Very possible on your second point, wouldn't put it past most agents to do that but i'd like to hope Flickers and DC would spot something like that from a mile off given there experience. 

I was meaning hard ball in going for quality players, and trying to negotiate them within our wage structure. In the case of Blackman for example, he simply found another team willing to pay for him, i imagine a number of targets have done the same if we were a way apart on terms.

What we can only hope for is that some of the targets we started with, have still not gotten fixed up. However I imagine a result like Saturdays wont help our bargaining position, as agents will know we are getting more desperate for bodies. 

49 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

No, probably a year with an option and the opportunity to play at a higher level than he currently finds himself. If Bradford have given him a 3 year deal and the chance to play in front of a big crowd he may still have been swayed.

Hang on....You said you would have taken Oliver but when you take into consideration his desire to move to the Yorkshire area and sign a 3 year deal you say no you wouldn't, same applies to Telford a one season wonder who has gone to Crawley on big money and a 3 year contract and just look at his record at his previous clubs......Don't you see the problem the club 's got, it's easy on paper and FIFA 22 but in the real world it's very difficult to bring the right fit for player and club together. 

45 minutes ago, Guppys left peg said:

Marquis I certainly agree with you. Edmondson I think given we had him on loan for half a season I’m certain the management team will have evaluated how they think he’d cope with the step up. I reckon if we wanted him we’d have got him, loved his attitude but it does need more than that. Telford to me he just screams one season wonder and I think he’ll struggle for double figures this time but might be wrong. 

I think Edmondson has a lot of good attributes that can be moulded into a very good player. He's also versatile which probably counted against him last year.

Archived