onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Exeter City v Port Vale

Fosse69

2 hours ago, onestepatatime said:

Love your optimism mate but in reality land we had the chance to be promoted and literally threw it away with the last 3 totally inept performances.

I usually bang the drum on here for the Vale but even I now accept that in all honesty we are not good enough as a squad to be promoted. Having experienced so many years of let downs this is probably one of the hardest to stomach after the fantastic work done by Carol and Kevin.

On our day we have shown we can compete and beat the better teams but the inconsistency is glaringly obvious in both team selections and tactics.

I'll be a Valiant all my life but honestly at this moment in time I'm so, so frustrated and disheartened with the way we have lately been nothing but also rans. 

Having witnessed the wins at Hartlepool, Barrow and Salford, prior to the Bristol game I was convinced we were on for automatic promotion. It was obvious that for creativity and any direct passing we became dependent on Brad Walker. He has gone unnoticed in various positions this season. With this in mind, I was a little cautious when he did his hamstring. I was not expecting even with him, Conlon and Jones out what I saw at Walsall and again yesterday. We were so poor and bereft of any positivity, pace or creative ideas. We are so predictable but even so I am at a loss as to how we have captulated. You just don't see sides 'nailed' on for promotion performing in this way and go on to lose 3/4 games consecutively? I am so disappointed but not sure what the reasoning is? There are too many things that appear wrong and now 8/9 players are underperforming - why?

Can we win at Exeter - yes, but not a cat in hells chance if we perform as we have of late.

Confused tbh, does not make sense to chuck it in now?

Advert

5 hours ago, valefan79 said:

No chance of this team been played for me but this is how I would go assuming Hall back fit.

Lucas

Worrall Gibbo Smith Hall Benning

Charsley Garritty Pett

Proctor Wilson

Stone looks so nervous to me, I know Covolan will never be picked again but for me still the best keeper at the club and in the most important game, you have to have your best players, I honestly don't think he would do anything stupid in a game that matters,if he did no team in the professional game will come in for him.  I would bring Gibbo as the right sided centre half of a 3, he's played that position before and looked comfortable for me, you can play Gibbo there as Exeter not a big side and more of a footballing team than long balls.  Smith back in the middle where you don't have to bring the ball out and start attacks and hopefully Hall will be back.

I think stone was very worrying at Hartlepool but I could not understand how or why he didn’t punch tye ball on Monday but his head has gone: I hope Hall is back, play him down the left put eEdmonson on the right and get Harratt up front  with Proctor and Wilson in a withdrawn role and push Garrity further forward and play Taylor, Charley and Pett in midfield and Worrall on the bench

Regardless of formation I want to see a bit more of an aggressive attitude from the players. The moment that whistle goes target one of their key players such as Jay or Nombe and go in hard on him and let them know we are there. We came across far too passive first half yesterday in general and sometimes doing something like that gets the competitive juices flowing and can build momentum from there.

I think AC can help things from his perspective by reacting to the flow of the game better than he did with his subs yesterday also. Failing all that see if Bernie Slaven fancies dusting off his old boots to score another one in front of that away end like in 93.

2 hours ago, Raveninblack said:

I think stone was very worrying at Hartlepool but I could not understand how or why he didn’t punch tye ball on Monday but his head has gone: I hope Hall is back, play him down the left put eEdmonson on the right and get Harratt up front  with Proctor and Wilson in a withdrawn role and push Garrity further forward and play Taylor, Charley and Pett in midfield and Worrall on the bench

So just one central defender against the league leaders?

I'm really sorry you guys have messed up the autos (I know there's still a chance, but I can't see you bettering Bristol Rovers' result) as I like Vale and wanted you to come up automatically with us so that next Saturday would be a party in all 4 sides of the ground. I'm now in the position that, although I now want you to come up through the play offs, I obviously want us to win on Saturday as that will confirm us as champions. But that might keep you down if Sutton can win at Harrogate and Swindon get a point at Walsall. What a crap situation for you guys after such a good season, I can understand the frustration on this forum.

Reasons to be cheerful:

• Walsall are quite good at beating teams at the Bescot that need to get a result to go up (too soon?)
  • Harrogate just battered FGR away from home, they could easily get a point or three against Sutton
  • Sutton just got totally battered at home by nothing-to-play-for Bradford
  • Newport lost a load of games on the spin, fans furious, manager disappointed and then played brilliantly at your place - why can't you do the same at Exeter?
  • Newport physically dominated you all over the park and the referee was extremely lenient - we don't play like them, we're more likely to play football and you might exploit the space we leave as we attack
  • I know we were pragmatic against you at VP and ground out a result a few weeks back, but we had key players out injured, a young lad making his debut in midfield, a key defender fell ill on the day, etc so we had to battle for a point - on Saturday we'll be going for it

Saying that, I hope we beat you because we're then champions. Hopefully Sutton get whacked at Harrogate and you can relax and focus on the playoffs. You're all angry now but once the season ends and you're in the playoffs, the passion will come back very quickly.

Good luck lads and lasses, apart from Saturday of course.

14 minutes ago, fred binneys head said:

I'm really sorry you guys have messed up the autos (I know there's still a chance, but I can't see you bettering Bristol Rovers' result) as I like Vale and wanted you to come up automatically with us so that next Saturday would be a party in all 4 sides of the ground. I'm now in the position that, although I now want you to come up through the play offs, I obviously want us to win on Saturday as that will confirm us as champions. But that might keep you down if Sutton can win at Harrogate and Swindon get a point at Walsall. What a crap situation for you guys after such a good season, I can understand the frustration on this forum.

Reasons to be cheerful:

• Walsall are quite good at beating teams at the Bescot that need to get a result to go up (too soon?)
  • Harrogate just battered FGR away from home, they could easily get a point or three against Sutton
  • Newport lost a load of games on the spin, fans furious, manager disappointed and then played brilliantly at your place - why can't you do the same at Exeter?
  • Newport physically dominated you all over the park and the referee was extremely lenient - we don't play like them, we're more likely to play football and you might exploit the space we leave as we attack
  • I know we were pragmatic against you at VP and ground out a result a few weeks back, but we had key players out injured, a young lad making his debut in midfield, a key defender fell ill on the day, etc so we had to battle for a point - on Saturday we'll be going for it

Saying that, I hope we beat you because we're then champions. Hopefully Sutton get whacked at Harrogate and you can relax and focus on the playoffs. You're all angry now but once the season ends and you're in the playoffs, the passion will come back very quickly.

incidently who’s Fred Binney? Just curious.

1 hour ago, Guppys left peg said:

Regardless of formation I want to see a bit more of an aggressive attitude from the players. The moment that whistle goes target one of their key players such as Jay or Nombe and go in hard on him and let them know we are there. We came across far too passive first half yesterday in general and sometimes doing something like that gets the competitive juices flowing and can build momentum from there.

I think AC can help things from his perspective by reacting to the flow of the game better than he did with his subs yesterday also. Failing all that see if Bernie Slaven fancies dusting off his old boots to score another one in front of that away end like in 93.

100% correct, we’re not even going down fighting.  It’s a whimper.  At 1-0 down if someone puts in a hard challenge it lifts the crowd.  A bit of pushing and shoving, the same.  If said player gets booked, so what, it’s no different than taking one for the team. Considering what’s at stake we’re far too passive.  It hasn’t got to be minute one but at 1-0 down after 45 minutes we’d barely laid a glove on Newport, in fact they’d dominated us physically.  We were more aggressive second half, and far more successful, until their second killed us.

23 minutes ago, fred binneys head said:

Reasons to be cheerful:

Like for the majority of football fans anger is part of the deal that goes with following your club, and Vale supporters are no different.  The owner, the manager, the players, the opposition, the ref, the pitch, the turnstiles, the PA system, ……………(enter your own pet  hate).  Given time we all calm down and get over it.  Hopefully we’ll be a lot calmer come the final whistle at the end of our next fixture. 

32 minutes ago, fred binneys head said:

Reasons to be cheerful:

Thanks for that. I hope you clinch Champions. Would be surprised if we make the playoffs, would be more surprised if we win through 

58 minutes ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

So just one central defender against the league leaders?

No Hall Connor, Smith and Martin with Gibbons left back, Edmonson right wing back, Worrall, who is clearly struggling with his right hip(a bio mechanical hip rotation ( something I know a lot about through my professional work) Garrity, Pett, Charsley or even Taylor in midfield, Harrett supporting Proctor up front with Wilson in the space behind them and Amoo, on the bench perhaps with Hussey or one other but preferably not Jones who is often too risky(?) 

38 minutes ago, Conrad said:
55 minutes ago, fred binneys head said:

incidently who’s Fred Binney? Just curious.

Quality Exeter striker from the 70s, cloughie signed him for Brighton and he knew a good player, his strike rate was fantastic.

He had a funny head though I thought: bowl haircut, big moustache, smiley face. 

The way things have gone for us this season I think Exeter could put eleven shirts on a washing line and beat us. If we get in the playoffs then it will be a bit of extra cash and a load of dissapointed fans when we inevitably lose 

Archived