• OVF player sponsorship 2022

£10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

Advert:

I had a look at the shrews forums, and while no one was particularly devastated that he left, pre announcement there was a decent number of there fans wanting him resigned.

We've replaced a 33 year old who didn't have his best season last year, with a 25 year old who fans of a team in the league above were hoping to keep hold of. Mind boggling the mentality of some vale fans to moan about a signing like this.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Heatwave said:

Don't forget the jogging round the penalty area with his arms in the air. Occasionally he did it even when play was up the other end.

Remember him well ,always lifting his arms in the air as if to pull his sleeves up. Thought this,  and his continual walking around his area was quite funny , but never really rated him .

Edited by aspin for england

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Christ, I can feel the 'injury prone' cliche and narrative taking hold now. 

Wikipedia has been a disaster for football. Fans should either admit they know nothing about a player or do some proper research.

Those little list of numbers on the right has every fan thinking they can accurately surmise a player's history. 

Walker has had one bad injury. Stop doing mental maths and getting the wrong answer. FFS. 

Joe if you go onto the Shrewsbury forum there are plenty of comments about injuries, not just from this season. It's a valid point to make. All players get injuries and for many players they occur in clusters. Being random doesn't mean a player misses 8 games a season, they may miss a whole season then not have an injury for a couple of season. Broadly speaking players average about 32 to 34 games a season. Some players get labelled injury prone when stats don't really show they are. There isn't a big gap between Worral and Montano in terms of games per season; one considered injury prone, one as always fit for action. Over his career Walker has averaged about 30 games a season, which I would say is a little low but not a big concern. Over the last 3 seasons he has had injuries, including his time at Crewe. What you, nor I, know is whether he has just had a cluster of injuries, or if there is an underlying issue. There isn't enough evidence to say one way or the other. We don't see his medical reports and all professional footballer medicals will pick up some old scar tissue which could develop into a problem. Vale's insurance company and management must feel the risk is low enough to offer a 2 year contract. No doctor can 100% say that, for example, the most recent ankle ligament problem will not reoccur. If you are looking at a signing in the round, based on what is out there in  the public domain, that is an obvious point and a valid point with this player. You can 100% be certain ANY manager at any level would have looked at this aspect of this player. Our management have clearly decided the risk is worth the reward.

Edited by JRC
  • Like 4

Do most think that the transfer listed players like Whitehead and Robinson and even young Burgess will be out the door and long gone before the season starts....but also given injury record that Amoo and at age 36 that Legge is in the managers plans.....seems to looking at players around 25 with experience to    build a squad and fitness and no doubt attitude and workrate seem to be the criteria.

From the players mentioned above then there does seem to be a certain profile for potential signings in terms of age/fitness/quality/experience.....

Defenders; Gibbons/Norman/Smith/Kelleher/Jones/Benning

Midfield; Worrall/Conlon/Walker/Taylor/Hurst

Forwards; Rodney/Gordon/Wilson

Considering that is just 14 players and some no doubt unlikely but even with a couple of keepers that still leaves a further 8 signings for a 24 man squad it is going to be a busy summer.

Advert:

Unofficial vale (I know) hinting that we are in for Ryan Johnson from Hartlepool and Josh Gordon.

In fairness Ryan Johnson is a rumour I have heard too. The Josh Gordon rumour strikes me as someone lazily putting two and two together given he's local and used to play for DC, however there could be something in it.

A promotion team is built from a squad of players that perform well as a team. Unless you're a Manfield or Salford fan then you're not going to see a plethora of big name players arriving. As both these clubs have proved even this does not guarantee success. Whereas Morecambe went up earlier this week.

Walker seems like he could be a strong cog in a well oiled machine. On the other hand, for whatever reason, he might not work out. Or perhaps he'll do well but the team around him won't.

From his record he seems a good League Two player with the potential to make the step up to League One should we get there. A slight concern over injuries but Clarke's record in this matter at previous clubs is very good and he made a big point of wanting players for and available in the future so we can only assume the matrix has shown Walker has a good chance of being fit for 40+ games.

10 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Unofficial vale (I know) hinting that we are in for Ryan Johnson from Hartlepool and Josh Gordon.

In fairness Ryan Johnson is a rumour I have heard too. The Josh Gordon rumour strikes me as someone lazily putting two and two together given he's local and used to play for DC, however there could be something in it.

I dont know of Ryan Johnson... I can see he is a 24yr old Defender who stands 6ft 2 and scored 5 goals last year for Hartlepool.

Is he a centre half?

Surely that one would depend on whether Hartlepool get promoted?

17 minutes ago, Burslem Academicals said:

Do most think that the transfer listed players like Whitehead and Robinson and even young Burgess will be out the door and long gone before the season starts....but also given injury record that Amoo and at age 36 that Legge is in the managers plans.....seems to looking at players around 25 with experience to    build a squad and fitness and no doubt attitude and workrate seem to be the criteria.

From the players mentioned above then there does seem to be a certain profile for potential signings in terms of age/fitness/quality/experience.....

Defenders; Gibbons/Norman/Smith/Kelleher/Jones/Benning

Midfield; Worrall/Conlon/Walker/Taylor/Hurst

Forwards; Rodney/Gordon/Wilson

Considering that is just 14 players and some no doubt unlikely but even with a couple of keepers that still leaves a further 8 signings for a 24 man squad it is going to be a busy summer.

Oh god, the pre-season VFIA is back 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

The thing that stood out for me about his injury was Walker's comment that "the ligaments in my ankle, I did near enough every single one of them" - I know f-all about it, but that seems about as bad as it gets for that injury?

Clarke and Flitcroft must have thoroughly tested it by having Walker running up and down stairs all day, taking tea and biscuits to them in the "war room"! (or whatever they're calling it)

Incidentally, I've got an image of this room with a big table in the middle that has the layout of a pitch, and them pushing subbuteo players around into different positions with a long stick, saying stuff like "Devante, we want you to advance as quickly as possible to the Eastern Front......and then in the 2nd half to the Western Front" (all while Saving Private Ryan plays on loop on a huge projector!)

.......wonder if the new away kit will be camouflage?!

War-Room.jpg

Edited by The Kalamazoo Kid

Advert:

30 minutes ago, Walka003 said:

Johnson was pretty key for Hartlepool last year and is only 24.

Kidderminster fans are not effusive in their praise regarding him, but Johnson was signed with low expectations at Pool and has really surprised, with him being in contention for their player of the season according to the manager. 

He featured as captain which, for a young lad who had only been there a season, suggest he's of good character. Spent time at Spurs and Norwich on trial when at Stevenage. Seems to have improved the more he plays - the exact type of player we need. A U21 international with NI and Stevenage's youngest ever player so maybe has not quite lived up to potential but needed a steady run of games and a 2-3 year deal with us could give him the EFL platform to really settle down.

Pool Manager on Johnson being a stand-in captain:

Jonno has improved from the start of the season, he's been brilliant. There's been a real consistency to his performances, whether he's been on the left hand side or in the middle... It (giving him the captaincy) has worked out for us tonight.

Walker, Johnson, and Gordon would be a fairly steady start to business, all of the right age and profile. 

Edited by Joe B

6 minutes ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

The thing that stood out for me about his injury was Walker's comment that "the ligaments in my ankle, I did near enough every single one of them" - I know f-all about it, but that seems about as bad as it gets for that injury?

I'm not a medical person, not sure if anyone of us are, but from what I understand each injury and each player is unique.

Broadly we can say "player has picked up x injury so should be missing for 3-6 weeks". It really takes a medical examination from a professional to make proper judgements over whether a player can reasonably be expected to stay fit all season. Then of course even then they can't predict the future, bad luck and unexpected events.

As we are not qualified we can only make best guesses from past performance. Saying Nathan Smith will play more games than Manny next season would be a very reasonable assumption, but it still would be just an assumption.

40 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I dont know of Ryan Johnson... I can see he is a 24yr old Defender who stands 6ft 2 and scored 5 goals last year for Hartlepool.

Is he a centre half?

Surely that one would depend on whether Hartlepool get promoted?

I think this is the one:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Johnson_(footballer,_born_1996)

Started with the Baggies and, in his earlier career, despite not managing to nail down a starting place at Stevenage, he attracted a lot of interest from premier clubs including Spurs and Norwich. He also turned out for Northern Ireland U21s. It all came nothing however and he washed up at Hartlepool. 

Still only 24 and with hardly any injuries in sight, he looks to be settled and starting to show his potential.

Could be a promising centre back signing for us, certainly in the right age bracket. 

Edited by CambridgeDon
  • Thanks 1

Advert:

16 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

https://www.harrogateadvertiser.co.uk/sport/football/harrogate-towns-202021-loan-stars-will-not-return-to-the-club-3259411

Seems like Dan Jones has turned Harrogate down. Must have something lined up elsewhere? 👀

“We thank Dan for all his efforts while he was here. I like him a lot and we did speak about a deal at one point,” he added.

“But, both parties said that we wanted to have a look around and see what else was out there.

"There’s no animosity or anything like that, we’ve parted on good terms, however I want to find a left-back who really wants to play for Harrogate Town.” 

You didn't dump me, I dumped you!

• Haha 3

43 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

I think this is the one:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryan_Johnson_(footballer,_born_1996)

Started with the Baggies and, in his earlier career, despite not managing to nail down a starting place at Stevenage, he attracted a lot of interest from premier clubs including Spurs and Norwich. He also turned out for Northern Ireland U21s. It all came nothing however and he washed up at Hartlepool. 

Still only 24 and with hardly any injuries in sight, he looks to be settled and starting to show his potential.

Could be a promising centre back signing for us, certainly in the right age bracket. 

Bit of research from when he signed for Hartlepool... He plays left sided CB and can also play LB

• robf changed the title to Transfer rumours, targets & new signings