onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer rumours, targets & new signings

Doha

1 minute ago, valiant_593 said:

I’m really not sure how almost getting promoted with Torquay makes this guy a class player. Some of the dross we released / transfer listen we’re recently PROMOTED from the same division. There is a difference in class. Players like whitehead who played in Salford’s promotion season are nowhere near this level but seemingly good enough for that. I really don’t agree that there’s no difference. 

I think what Vale1995 said stands true. There is not a huge difference in skillset of goalkeepers. The top few in the Premier yes are quality but there is not the vast gulf that there is between outfield players.

The Colchester keeper for example is probably almost on a par apart from a few minor details with say the Preston keeper.

Whilst it is undoubtedly an absolutely critical position i don't see him being a total calamity and throwing the ball into his own net.

Scott Brown was a great keeper for Vale, impeccable bloke .

He also had numerous clangers last season, only off the top of my head. Two against Walsall at home, Cheltenham away dreadful , Mansfield at home went down like a sack of spuds. Terrible positioning i think it was Colchester at home where his angles were all wrong. 

He was not without errors and clearly his best days were behind him.

Other than Vigouroux i don't see much else out there.

All those championing King, he was basically Newport reserve keeper for 37 games yet seems to be touted on here quite often. Not sure why . 

Advert

It is so boring on here reading everyone being negative about players who haven't even kicked a ball for us yet.

OVF is my only source of vale from Vienna - I come on here daily to stay in touch with whats going on as Rob does a much better job than the Sentinel but oh my days does it get tedious seeing the same 5 posters talking utter rubbish about how terrible a player is before they have even seen him!!

2 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I think what Vale1995 said stands true. There is not a huge difference in skillset of goalkeepers. The top few in the Premier yes are quality but there is not the vast gulf that there is between outfield players.

The Colchester keeper for example is probably almost on a par apart from a few minor details with say the Preston keeper.

Whilst it is undoubtedly an absolutely critical position i don't see him being a total calamity and throwing the ball into his own net.

Scott Brown was a great keeper for Vale, impeccable bloke .

He also had numerous clangers last season, only off the top of my head. Two against Walsall at home, Cheltenham away dreadful , Mansfield at home went down like a sack of spuds. Terrible positioning i think it was Colchester at home where his angles were all wrong. 

He was not without errors and clearly his best days were behind him.

Other than Vigouroux i don't see much else out there.

All those championing King, he was basically Newport reserve keeper for 37 games yet seems to be touted on here quite often. Not sure why . 

Yeah I agree. I think people are basing their view on sentiment, because Brown was such a well liked person. Therefor anyone but the likes of Alisson or Courtois, would never be good enough. 

53 minutes ago, Alan Baker said:

But he’s 30 now.

Brown must be having a laugh at this signing.

Brown served us well, was a good stick to your line goal stopper, his ball distribution and dominance of penalty area was poor at times so thought it was the right time for him to go. as I said no disrespect he served us well we move on, football is all about opinions, keep believing a golden season ahead. Up the Vale

30 minutes ago, Emile said:

It is so boring on here reading everyone being negative about players who haven't even kicked a ball for us yet.

OVF is my only source of vale from Vienna - I come on here daily to stay in touch with whats going on as Rob does a much better job than the Sentinel but oh my days does it get tedious seeing the same 5 posters talking utter rubbish about how terrible a player is before they have even seen him!!

I hope you are not including me in those 5. I am not saying our new keeper is rubbish, he has only ever played 26 games max in a season at a lower level than League 2. I think it is a big ask to expect him to play 46 league games at our level so am hoping that he is only the back up keeper.

3 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

As I recall, others on here will know more,  Alnwick was 3rd choice goalie at Newcastle, but due to injuries played in the Prem.  That to me is more important experience.

He came on as a sub against Chelsea then started the next 7 games during which he let in 18 goals. I saw the 3-3 draw against Burnley when he was dreadful. Did fine for us though. 

38 minutes ago, valiant_593 said:

I’m really not sure how almost getting promoted with Torquay makes this guy a class player. Some of the dross we released / transfer listen we’re recently PROMOTED from the same division. There is a difference in class. Players like whitehead who played in Salford’s promotion season are nowhere near this level but seemingly good enough for that. I really don’t agree that there’s no difference. 

Notwithstanding the difference between one of ten outfield players and a GK in a promotion team, Whitehead's a curious one for me. Must be a self-confidence issue as you don't get signed by West Ham and Wigan (back when Wigan were good) and be an integral part of two successive promotions from the NL if you're a bad player. For whatever reason, he played poorly for us, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if a decent NL team came in for him and he played a part in another promotion. Just seems to have a mental block at a higher level, sadly.

If there was such a gulf in class between NL and L2, then the promoted teams would frequently go straight back down, as they do between Champ and Prem, but that's not what happens. 2020 - Barrow and Harrogate;  2019 - Leyton Orient and Salford; 2018 - Macc Town and Tranmere; 2017 - Lincoln and FGR; 2016 - Cheltenham and Grimsby.

Of those ten, six are still in L2, two will be in L1 next year and two have gone back down (one just gone, one completely gone due to mismanagement rather than actual on-field issues).

40 minutes ago, Emile said:

Spot on Emile👍👍

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

If a League 1 team had come in for Brown would anyone be saying they were mad?  Yet several are concerned that we’ve signed a “League 3” keeper??

Brown has a lot of experience at league 2 level, Lucas has only played 46 games at National League level in two seasons, less than Brown played last season. 

The deal has been done, can't we just give the bloke a chance.

I thought DC & DF have at least put some thought into building a team for this season, not just a quick call to Phil Sproson. I doubt Lucas has been signed just because of his play-off game, so let's all stop being the expert and get behind whoever has / will be signed. If they fail, DC & DF will be the first out of the door.

I for one am looking forward with optimism.  🏆 :upthevale:

I think we have just got to trust DC, DF and the new recruitment team, it does seem they scout, research and then make an offer, not like previous seasons.

We have all known the squad needed a good revamp and this is what we are getting. Some big big names have gone and we may never really know why, its DC and DF's decision.

I do feel though that the signings so far have been measured, calculated, not a knee jerk reaction for a team being formed to push for promotion.

29 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Brown has a lot of experience at league 2 level, Lucas has only played 46 games at National League level in two seasons, less than Brown played last season. 

Yes, but according to the stats, the observations of our management, and the overwhelming opinion of the fans at their clubs last season, what are the respective trajectories of their performances and goalkeeping careers?

Brown is a great bloke and was a great keeper at our level. I would have liked him to stay another year, but it only would have made sense on a 1-year deal on reduced terms. Did we indicate we were willing to offer something like that? No idea. Would he have taken it if we had, given the offer from Exeter? No. So as with Monty, it's academic, as are comparisons to Alnwick or Whitehead or whoever.

Stats from last season suggest Lucas is a good keeper. Others were interested, but we have signed him. Job done.

5 hours ago, Wrex said:

Ryan Boot has spent the last three seasons as Solihull Moors number one in the league below, winning Player of the Season last year, and playing under Tim Flowers who presumably knows a decent goalie when he sees one.

He was the fans player of the season, but he has been released. Who know's best fans or manager?

Really dont get some vale fans weve signed a keeper who has had a good season for a team who got to play off finals in league below, how is that not a decent signing people on here literally look for the negatives in everything, give the bloke a chance

Archived