Jump to content

  • OVF player sponsorship 2022

    £10 to enter. More details and a link to donate can be found here

Sheldon Report on child abuse in football


Jacko51
 Share

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

Exactly right Dario Gradi and the board at Crewe knew what was going on, and it did not stop at Bennell. The reaction of Crewe Alex and their supporters is shameful. No remorse no apology, absolutely disgusting 

So where I have a problem is lumping all supporters together. For instance we already have one Crewe fan on here who's obviously troubled by it. 

I would certainly agree that some fans (I don't know what proportion and I don't anyone can) are trying to sweep it under the carpet and that is clearly disgusting. But as is clear on here with all the multitude of views of Vale fans on everything - manager, players, politics - it's not as simple as just labelling it as "their supporters". They are not one entity with one single view. Some are clearly troubled.

However, on the flip side, there are some entities which have been shameful in avoiding the issue. That's the local media. The Crewe Chronicle the LOCAL PAPER for Pete's sake isn't even covering the story on their website. Have Radio Stoke mentioned it? The local media have been absolutely terrible on wishing an awful story to just go away. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


With regards to Radio Stoke

I'll have to watch how I word this .

But given that a certain Mr Mcgarry has been the Crewe correspondent since Noah was a lad he must of heard whispers or rumours .

Basically everything at that club has been swept under one giant carpet 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, robf said:

@Doha since when has Twitter been a barometer for the majority rational viewpoint? :classic_wacko:

They only have about three forum posts a month so it's the best you're going to get, internet penetration in Crewe only marginally leads widespread access to clean drinking water in the town. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, robf said:

@Doha since when has Twitter been a barometer for the majority rational viewpoint? :classic_wacko:

Unfortunately their ultra defensive paranoid witch hunt mindset has pervaded their boardroom. For some reason they think the rest of football is out to get them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope it was ok to come on here and say I am horrified by what happened at my club in the late 80s and early 90s. The man was a monster and the club should do all they can to make amends. Thankfully these days child safeguards are much stronger. I’m a coach myself and there are strict rules about behaviour with young players.

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


1 minute ago, Phil1965 said:

I hope it was ok to come on here and say I am horrified by what happened at my club in the late 80s and early 90s. The man was a monster and the club should do all they can to make amends. Thankfully these days child safeguards are much stronger. I’m a coach myself and there are strict rules about behaviour with young players.

You're quite welcome to come on here and express your views, Phil.  You are obviously not the only Crewe fan who is disgusted by the behaviour of certain people at your club.  What I would like to know is who is protecting Gradi in all of this? 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Phil1965 said:

I hope it was ok to come on here and say I am horrified by what happened at my club in the late 80s and early 90s. The man was a monster and the club should do all they can to make amends. Thankfully these days child safeguards are much stronger. I’m a coach myself and there are strict rules about behaviour with young players.

I can totally understand why Crewe have said/done little throughout the scandal on the firm advice of their legal counsel. I genuinely do understand that. I think though that it's been taken to a bit of an extreme and the ultra defensive behaviour of some fans, the silence of the local media, combined with events like that AGM/EGM or whatever it was a few years ago were that journalist was almost hounded out and questions refused, to the run of the mill outsider makes Crewe's handling of all this look absolutely terrible and remorseless. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Doha said:

I can totally understand why Crewe have said/done little throughout the scandal on the firm advice of their legal counsel. I genuinely do understand that. I think though that it's been taken to a bit of an extreme and the ultra defensive behaviour of some fans, the silence of the local media, combined with events like that AGM/EGM or whatever it was a few years ago were that journalist was almost hounded out and questions refused, to the run of the mill outsider makes Crewe's handling of all this look absolutely terrible and remorseless. 

Was this the AGM where someone wanted to bring up the topic of the child abuse and got roundly boo-ed and chastised for doing so?

If this was Vale, I'd want full justice served to the offenders, not sweeping it under the carpet and hoping it goes away.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, valeparklife said:

Was this the AGM where someone wanted to bring up the topic of the child abuse and got roundly boo-ed and chastised for doing so?

If this was Vale, I'd want full justice served to the offenders, not sweeping it under the carpet and hoping it goes away.

Summat along those lines. I think it might have been that Daniel Taylor journo himself? Very much a closed shop on the face of it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

52 minutes ago, Phil1965 said:

I hope it was ok to come on here and say I am horrified by what happened at my club in the late 80s and early 90s. The man was a monster and the club should do all they can to make amends. Thankfully these days child safeguards are much stronger. I’m a coach myself and there are strict rules about behaviour with young players.

I read the alexmad forum, I think I'm the only one that does and a poster called Terry Harkin tried to bring this topic up and got hammered down by quite a few Crewe fans they just totally hide away from it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


Has anyone involved in the investigation actually named Dario or any of the other clubs managers as having the knowledge of what was going on. It’ll never be proven and will always be alleged that they did know.

My thoughts are with the all theyoung lads who were abused for wanting to fulfill a dream that many of us had as young boys. 🙏🏽

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Advert:


 

Quote

They refused to elaborate, further, but asked why Gradi had been suspended from football, Polly Handford, the FA’s director of legal and governance, said: “Where someone is removed from football for safeguarding reasons that will be because we have seen that there has been an assessment that that particular individual could potentially cause or pose a risk of harm to children, and that’s as far as we can go.”

 

Edited by Santa

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the fans boil down to 3 groups when something bad happens.

1 they just won't believe it no matter what because it's their club

2 they don't want to believe it even when there is evidence because it's their club.

3 they do believe and feel ashamed for the club they support

We have seen it here when things have happened at Vale. Not similar things with such magnitude, just the crap that's happened in our not to distant past.

Child abuse is one of the very few things in life that still boils my urine.

For those that did know I would recommend genital mutilation. For those involved I would recommend a lobotomy via their sphincter, preferably with something white hot and very large.

That's just my opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Doha said:

They only have about three forum posts a month so it's the best you're going to get, internet penetration in Crewe only marginally leads widespread access to clean drinking water in the town. 

You've done me again Doha.  Don't know how you think of these quotes😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

  • Reporting Posts and Ignoring Users

    • Admin don't read everything. Don't assume we'll spot rule breaking. Please report posts and we'll act ASAP. If you're logged in use the orange report post button. If you're not logged in, please - Contact us here
    • If you can't get on with another user you can "ignore" them. Follow the link, type in their username and save - Click here
    • Check with admin if you wish to sell/auction any items. We're happy to support good causes but check first - Contact us here
  • Friends of OVF




×
×
  • Create New...