Match Thread: Port Vale v Stevenage

Fosse69

Advert:

Has it finished, thought it was still playing and the commentators had given up.  At least it was a point and that is about it.

The side were not playing at their best and seemed to prefer hoofball rather than football tonight.

Both sides were poor really.

We look a lot more solid, but in order to become so we have sacrificed attacking intent.

Once Joyce went off our midfield was none existent with Taylor far too similar and lightweight to Burgess... as DC said, all our midfielders are too similar.

Back 5 defended well... but their distribution wasn’t great. 

Midfield was poor.

Forward line had nothing to go off.

Looked like the first time we have played a system that got severely disrupted by losing the anchor defensive midfielder.

Quality is severely lacking. 

Bring on summer.

Advert:

Manny in the midfield would be night and day in this formation. It relies on at least one decent midfielder who is a good tackler, passer and chance-creator. Without him in a 532 we will get bypassed in midfield, especially against oh I don’t know... the league leaders perhaps.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Iron Curtain said:

We look a lot more solid, but in order to become so we have sacrificed attacking intent.

Once Joyce went off our midfield was none existent with Taylor far too similar and lightweight to Burgess... as DC said, all our midfielders are too similar.

Back 5 defended well... but their distribution wasn’t great. 

Midfield was poor.

Forward line had nothing to go off.

Looked like the first time we have played a system that got severely disrupted by losing the anchor defensive midfielder.

Quality is severely lacking. 

Bring on summer.

I actually thought Burgess did better than Taylor. He still did pretty much nothing, but at least he wasn’t giving the ball away every single time he touched it.

• Like 1

Advert:

I don’t think the formation helped us because the midfield 3 were the main problem for me. They couldn’t get hold of the ball at all, neither could the front 2 and as a result our back 5 are pushed back. I thought the back 5 were fine defensively, but when you play wingbacks the central midfielders are key to getting it down and getting it out wide. They just didn’t do that at all and those 3 should have ran the game from the middle but they just didn’t get a foothold in it.

I thought we should have changed formation in the second half, yes it’s great that players like Gibbo and Monty get another 90 mins under their belts, but Gibbo clearly tired as the half wore on and we should have made a change to give him a rest. But despite that you can’t fault the workrate that those 2 put in I bet they covered some km between them. 

• Like 3

Advert:

Very very low on quality and a really disappointing performance with the ball.It appears we where playing with a hot potato. No player prepared to put the foot on the ball and play a pass.

On the positive side we looked very solid at the back and I thought all 3 CB's played really wellI think. Even though he hasn't played Guthrie really showed his value tonight by not playing. Rodney is not a striker!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

"We'll never score with 1 up front - get 2 up top!"

I don't we'd have scored if we carried on playing for another hour tonight.

Happy we didn't lose, and happy it's two unbeaten as we needed to stop the rot with this team of losers.

The clearout (yet again) will be monumental this summer.