onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Morecambe v Port Vale

Fosse69

We know where we want to be, but a game at a time, even by the seaside will have to do. Morecambe have won away twice coming from behind at Cheltenham and Southend, but at home they conceded 5 against Cambridge, so why is that? For us the state of Mills injury is not known yet, but the squad should be boosted by Pope and Mills, possibly Gibbons, Amoo and Montano. Usually an awkward game but hoping for 3 points, so expect another 0-0

Advert

I don’t we should be making wholesale changes after yesterday’s performance. But there will be some interesting choices for Askey with some good players potentially coming back. Providing those players are fit I might be tempted to go with.

brown

gibbo / Legge / Smith / Fitzpatrick 

manny / joyce / conlon

worrall / pope / Rodney

Im assuming mills will be out with injury and that Gibbo will be fit enough. I think we could maybe give Pope a start up front for his physical presence and hold up play. 

45 minutes ago, Conrad said:

Agree with Pope, but he won’t play the full 90 on his first game back.

maybe once we go 3-0 up😃 take him off for Robinson or Cullen either road I would expect a good win, onwards and upwards.

Yep give him an hour. Yesterday showed what we miss at times up front with that ability to battle and hold it up. 

I watched the Morecambe Newcastle game on Wednesday.  It was a much changed Newcastle team with only 2 players who had played in their previous Prem match.  Morecambe couldn't live with them because of the tempo Newcastle played at.  Morecambe had a lad sent off but they were already 4-0 down before that.  We need to keep the ball on the deck and play through them rather than over them.

Don't think Newcastle has any bearing on Vale. Premier players are entitled to play with the likes of Morecambe. 

It'll be a turgid affair on a small pitch. 

I'd go with the same team apart from Cullen. 

Mckirdy on the left and Rodney in the middle.

Cullen was starved and unjustly criticised yesterday, but purely because he's yet to score away I'd go for the physical presence of Rodney. 

I can't for the life of me seeing Pope actually start a game until he's properly up to speed. 

I'd play Rodney through the middle with McKirdy and Worrall out wide. I doubt Pope will come straight back in when he has no match sharpness, but might be an option off the bench. I still think Cullen would be much better playing off Pope than as a lone striker, he gets frustrated too quickly. But obviously we don't play 4-4-2.

I watched a bit of their game against Oldham the other week in the League Cup and I thought they were OK, they're resilient, everyone knows their job, we know they can be a tough nut to crack when they beat us back in January at their place, even though we were terrible that night.

A lot of the good things they do tend to go through Phillips. I think he's their set piece taker as well.

2 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Don't think Newcastle has any bearing on Vale. Premier players are entitled to play with the likes of Morecambe. 

It'll be a turgid affair on a small pitch. 

I'd go with the same team apart from Cullen. 

Mckirdy on the left and Rodney in the middle.

Cullen was starved and unjustly criticised yesterday, but purely because he's yet to score away I'd go for the physical presence of Rodney. 

I can't for the life of me seeing Pope actually start a game until he's properly up to speed. 

He will have been training every day even though he was banned from playing, the only way to get match fit is by playing in matches.

13 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

It's a game I'd like to think we would win but our last 2 performances away at morecambe have been awful and they are a side we have struggled against home and away alot in the past. I wouldn't rule out smith playing rb and brisley and legge being our centre backs for this game.

Smith should never be playing right back unless absolutely necessary IMO and Mills and Gibbo aren’t fit. 

The team will clearly depend on who's fit. If Gibbo and Montano are fit, they should start at full back because on Saturday we had little or no effective threat down the wings until Smudge decided to take it to them; and if Amoo and Pope are fit, they should play at least some of the game. We need to play our best players, take the fight to Morecambe and let them worry about us.

This is the ideal opportunity to put Saturday well and truly behind us and go for the win, despite our indifferent performances against Morecambe in previous seasons. We are the better side and now is our chance to prove it. 

Does anyone know how the friendly with Accy worked out today?

4 minutes ago, CambridgeDon said:

The team will clearly depend on who's fit. If Gibbo and Montano are fit, they should start at full back because on Saturday we had little or no effective threat down the wings until Smudge decided to take it to them; and if Amoo and Pope are fit, they should play at least some of the game. We need to play our best players, take the fight to Morecambe and let them worry about us.

This is the ideal opportunity to put Saturday well and truly behind us and go for the win, despite our indifferent performances against Morecambe in previous seasons. We are the better side and now is our chance to prove it. 

Does anyone know how the friendly with Accy worked out today?

The friendly was cancelled because someone in the academy has tested positive. It’s on the clubs website. In light of that friendly being cancelled I think we need to be careful throwing too many players into the morecambe game who’ve had no game time like Gibbo, Popey and Amoo. Granted the Gibbo change may be enforced if Mills isn’t fit, but I doubt he’d be up to full speed yet with no games for a month or so under his belt. 

Some sensible points above.

I don't think you can start throwing in players who have been out for weeks on end and not played many games.

Maybe on the subs bench but 3-4 of them need a couple of matches to try and get up to speed.

McKirdy is another one who doesn't look fully fit to me and also needs a bit more game time.

Robinson possibly the same.

The one player who might slot in easier is Monty and if so he'd be under consideration for me but I'd imagine it'll be more or less the same team again.

It is unfair to pillory Cullen when he gets no service and the ball is in the air a lot. He wasn't the only one below par last week.

Morecambe always seem to cause us problems - so beware.

4 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Some sensible points above.

I don't think you can start throwing in players who have been out for weeks on end and not played many games.

Maybe on the subs bench but 3-4 of them need a couple of matches to try and get up to speed.

McKirdy is another one who doesn't look fully fit to me and also needs a bit more game time.

Robinson possibly the same.

The one player who might slot in easier is Monty and if so he'd be under consideration for me but I'd imagine it'll be more or less the same team again.

It is unfair to pillory Cullen when he gets no service and the ball is in the air a lot. He wasn't the only one below par last week.

Morecambe always seem to cause us problems - so beware.

All those players you mentioned were due to play today. TBH it wouldn’t surprise if he went with one of 2 options if Mills is injured.

Same team except straight swap with Gibbo for Mills or same team except Smith at right back with Brisley at centre half. 

Archived