Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

1 hour ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:
1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:
I never like the idea of goal bonuses. Makes players greedy. 

Getting paid extra for what they are alresdy paid to do.

Bonuses are at every level of professional football. It means that clubs don’t have a ridiculous starting wage bill and then it’s up to the players to earn the rest and I suppose the logic behind them is to provide an incentive to keep them hungry throughout their stay. Clean sheets, goals, number of appearances, position in the league, cup runs, promotions are all part of any players bonus package. 

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing wrong with getting just a little carried away at the moment,  as long as we all remember that it's The Vale we're talking about. But then again this is the New Vale and it feels amazing,  even

I honestly despair with some Vale fans... Is it bred into our DNA that we have to seek out negativity???? As I'm typing this, we've have just launched the nicest football strip I can remember, desig

Posted Images

Bonuses are at every level of professional football. It means that clubs don’t have a ridiculous starting wage bill and then it’s up to the players to earn the rest and I suppose the logic behind them is to provide an incentive to keep them hungry throughout their stay. Clean sheets, goals, number of appearances, position in the league, cup runs, promotions are all part of any players bonus package. 

Doesn't mean I have to agree with the idea does it ?

37 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Good luck to Theo. I'm choosing to not have an opinion on the signing (or not share it on here, anyways).

Admit it, Joe.  You're just angry Big Mart didn't trail this on Twitter!!

• Haha 1

Switching subjects a bit (perhaps a good idea to calm things down) does it appear that Visser is favourite for the reserve goalie position?

Judging by Askey's comments in the Sentinel it seems Visser may be favourite because he would be happy to wait in the wings.

Askey said: "We have had a look at one or two and I have spoken to a few. With Scott doing well over the last couple of years then it puts one or two keepers off coming because they know they may have to sit on the bench for a while, probably waiting for him to get injured. A lot are not prepared to do that, they want to play, which is understandable. So, it narrows down who you can take. We have our eye on one or two but Dino has come in and done everything you would expect of him so he is still very much in the forefront."

Visser does appear to be one of those goalies (in the higher leagues the likes of van der Gouw or Pegguy Arphexad) who is happy to be part of a squad without necessarily being first-choice. Visser's made 100 appearances in ten years with 69 of those coming in a three year period so he seems pretty patient to get his chance.

I suppose if there isn't that long-term successor out there then get a (hopefully) reliable stopgap and look again for a young prospect in another transfer window.

Not sure why we didn't just give Maddison a one year contract? He looked alright when he did play, and seemed a decent chap. Unless he wanted to go because he knew he would continue to very much play second fiddle to Brown.

Edited by TylerB
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, TylerB said:

Not sure why we didn't just give Maddison a one year contract? He looked alright when he did play, and seemed a decent chap. Unless he wanted to go because he knew he would continue to very much play second fiddle to Brown.

Have said this a couple of times Tyler. Cheap as chips, the covid factor etc. No problems with signing Visser but is he really the heir apparent to Brown? I'd say that's an emphatic no. 

Maddison I don't feel walked of his own accord, as at the moment he is without a club 

3 minutes ago, TylerB said:

I would have been happy to keep Madison, but like you say he probably wanted first team football.

Thats not to say I wouldn’t be happy with Visser from what I’ve seen of him.

I just thought giving Maddison a new deal made sense. He's at a good age and would have given Askey one less thing to look for. Can only think Askey wasn't that impressed with him in training, but he never looked a liability or anything close on the odd occasion he played for us.

32 minutes ago, Gallifreyan Valiant said:

Doesn't mean I have to agree with the idea does it ?

Up to you, but they're part and parcel of football and I suppose are similar to what normal companies may offer in the way of incentives to their employees for achieving certain targets in their job.

On the subject of keepers if Visser had impressed in training and the friendly then surely we'd have snapped him up, as it stands we're leaving it a bit late again. Hopefully Brown stays injury free.

Edited by PV1973

17 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Underwhelming to say the least...

Good. It will give you and others a better feeling when he actually does alright for us, as he has done with other League Two sides in his career and especially the last couple of years.

If we signed Maynard everyone would be expecting 20+ goals from him and automatic promotion, and more often than not you end up disappointed.

4 hours ago, TylerB said:

According to social media Maynard will be on a 15K a goal bonus for Mansfield. Surely that can't be true? If it is that's ridiculous and no wonder it threw a spanner in the works in regards to us getting him.

Not a chance that he can be on 15k a goal , how would that work when there has just been a wage cap for all league 2 clubs ! 

I can't believe some of the negativity on here. Robinson is a great solid signing whose record suggests he will score 15-20 goals in a season.

For all of those underwhelmed by the signing of Maynard this is exactly why NO-ONE outside the football club management team should know who targets are, who we are negotiating with until they have signed on the dotted line and pictured with the shirt. I know Maynard talks where published in the paper with a quote from JA on Saturday but they had no choice to address after all of the fierce speculation on social mediaI.I doubt without knowledge of the Maynard talks most on here would be so negative about signing proven L2 goalscorer in Robinson. 

I hope the club review this for the next transfer window and learn the lesson. There have been far too many people in the "know" which led to the situation.

As for Maynard I'm sure we have had many other targets who have been hawked around clubs to generate interest and drive up wage demands. This is how the football world works..

With Robinson we now have 3 strikers capable of scoring 50 goals between them with unproven Rodney who looks very promising.With Amoo and Burgess getting close to double figures and another midfielder (Wozza,Manny,Conlon) chipping in we will have enough goals to match our strong organisation and tight defence.

L1 here we come!

• Like 4