onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

26 minutes ago, Conrad said:

3k a week at that level is mental, doesn’t ffp apply to that league, if that figure is correct, plus the salaries of all the other players has got to be way more than their gate receipts.

I'd guess they pay Adam Rooney even more. 

Advert

3k a week at that level is mental, doesn’t ffp apply to that league, if that figure is correct, plus the salaries of all the other players has got to be way more than their gate receipts.
Salford lost around £2.4m in their National League NORTH promotion season. Non league clubs can do whatever they like! Crazy really.

1 hour ago, dishydave said:

If clubs are paying those kind of wages in non league what hope is there for league clubs like us trying to be run sensibly

Could be part of the reason clubs like FGR and Salford stall on entering the EFL and need to comply with Financial Fair Play.

Rich owners in The National League are particularly keen to pay a lot of money for strikers. Could explain the relative lack of decent strikers in league 2. A friend who works in football but not at Vale told me Rodney turned down slightly better National League deals to sign for Vale. Someone like Adam Rooney plays National League football because he can earn more money. The average salary in league 2 for a best paid player is just over 2k a week. The highest last season was 4.5k a week at a Northern Club (probably Salford and Adam Rooney). Most clubs restricted by FFP can't contemplate signing a player on the sort of wage whereas they can drop a league and get it.

46 minutes ago, JRC said:

Could be part of the reason clubs like FGR and Salford stall on entering the EFL and need to comply with Financial Fair Play.

Rich owners in The National League are particularly keen to pay a lot of money for strikers. Could explain the relative lack of decent strikers in league 2. A friend who works in football but not at Vale told me Rodney turned down slightly better National League deals to sign for Vale. Someone like Adam Rooney plays National League football because he can earn more money. The average salary in league 2 for a best paid player is just over 2k a week. The highest last season was 4.5k a week at a Northern Club (probably Salford and Adam Rooney). Most clubs restricted by FFP can't contemplate signing a player on the sort of wage whereas they can drop a league and get it.

I don't get the logic behind your first paragraph ? Why buy expensive players / strikers if you are intending to stall on getting to the EFL , that makes no sense whatsoever . 

9 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I don't get the logic behind your first paragraph ? Why buy expensive players / strikers if you are intending to stall on getting to the EFL , that makes no sense whatsoever . 

I think he is saying they stall ONCE they reach the EFL as they now have to comply with FFP

34 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I think he is saying they stall ONCE they reach the EFL as they now have to comply with FFP

Yes my bad, misinterpreted it. 

Possibly some truth but I feel there is a shelf limit on these ' projects ' . 

Both FGR and Salford have tiny stadiums that wouldn't sustain football much higher up the food chain. 

With regards to how this debate began I'm certainly not doubting the points raised but Solihull paying that sort of wage seems absurd . 

2 hours ago, JRC said:

A friend who works in football but not at Vale told me Rodney turned down slightly better National League deals to sign for Vale.

I think Stockport are the latest to splash the cash (after a takeover) and they were offering a fair bit for Rodney. However, he was being played wide while there on loan and wants to play in the middle. I guess that, plus Vale's League status, our owners etc made us more attractive even though we are paying him less.

45 minutes ago, robf said:

I think Stockport are the latest to splash the cash (after a takeover) and they were offering a fair bit for Rodney. However, he was being played wide while there on loan and wants to play in the middle. I guess that, plus Vale's League status, our owners etc made us more attractive even though we are paying him less.

Maybe explains the 3 year contract too.

I’ve always been of the belief that business should be fine as soon as possible not leaving it until the last moment. I do understand that some players hang in until the last minute to get the best deal, which I can’t blame them for. However in these unprecedented times there will be a bigger pool of players and their demands may have risen, so late business could be the answer, especially I we still don’t know when the new season will start. We do know when furlough will end and some teams may not be able to start the season before furlough finishes as they won’t be able to afford the wages. I can see that ppl on here have confirmed FFP only applies to league clubs. I wouldn’t want and I know the owners won’t jeopardise are future by paying unrealistic wages.

COYW

Archived