Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing wrong with getting just a little carried away at the moment,  as long as we all remember that it's The Vale we're talking about. But then again this is the New Vale and it feels amazing,  even

I honestly despair with some Vale fans... Is it bred into our DNA that we have to seek out negativity???? As I'm typing this, we've have just launched the nicest football strip I can remember, desig

Posted Images

Just now, Santa said:

I hope I'm not being wound up but the players we're supposed to be in for would be game changers.

Mate I genuinely cba getting excited about this club again.

Advert:

Its all rumours, but I can't lie, Visser + Whitehead + Bradbury wouldn't get me very excited.
Taylor was a 10+ goal a season midfielder; a diamond at this level. Clark was the best player on the pitch in every game of his short tenure. Is there any hope of getting them back?
Mills and Rodney are steady signings, but Whitehead and Bradbury wouldn't quite be the 'quality' signings we need if we're going to hope to compete with Bolton, Salford etc. 
I've been very, very positive about the club for over a year but have consistently stressed that this summer's recruitment had to be spot on.

Must we have the same old moaning and pessimism at the start of every bloody season?

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again - what a player has or has not done previously is no indicator of how they'll do for us. There's the usual calls for 'quality' or 'proven' league 2 players. Who are these? Lawrie Wilson? Anthony Kay? Rob lainton? None of these so called 'proven' players, nor many others, 'proved' it for us. By far out best players over the past few years, and before, have been what the same moaners would call 'chancers' or unambitious signings. Streete, Alnwick, Jones, Burgess. You mention both taylor and clark in your post. Neither of these would satisfy your seemingly strict criteria of proven quality experience when they signed. Smith and gibbons have been excellent for us, in league 1 as well, despite neither having any league experience. Going back further, Ian taylor, Andy jones, Robbie earle, van der laan, et al.

At the moment, we have a squad that is experienced in all areas and proven. Indeed, our midfield when fit would be the best in this league, imho. We are in the position now, which we haven't been for years, where we can bring in the likes of Rodney and look to develop them slowly, if necessary, with a view to them playing at a higher level, be it with us or via a transfer that makes us money.

So sick of this constant negativity at the start of every season.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Must we have the same old moaning and pessimism at the start of every bloody season?

I've said it many times before and I'll say it again - what a player has or has not done previously is no indicator of how they'll do for us. There's the usual calls for 'quality' or 'proven' league 2 players. Who are these? Lawrie Wilson? Anthony Kay? Rob lainton? None of these so called 'proven' players, nor many others, 'proved' it for us. By far out best players over the past few years, and before, have been what the same moaners would call 'chancers' or unambitious signings. Streete, Alnwick, Jones, Burgess. You mention both taylor and clark in your post. Neither of these would satisfy your seemingly strict criteria of proven quality experience when they signed. Smith and gibbons have been excellent for us, in league 1 as well, despite neither having any league experience. Going back further, Ian taylor, Andy jones, Robbie earle, van der laan, et al.

At the moment, we have a squad that is experienced in all areas and proven. Indeed, our midfield when fit would be the best in this league, imho. We are in the position now, which we haven't been for years, where we can bring in the likes of Rodney and look to develop them slowly, if necessary, with a view to them playing at a higher level, be it with us or via a transfer that makes us money.

So sick of this constant negativity at the start of every season.

Jesus Christ Phil, I'm the most positive fan on here! I've been knocked for being overly positive in the past! I'm merely saying whilst steady signings are good, I'd want the game-changer up top. 

Whitehead is a steady signing. I stand by that. We need the gold dust to get top 7. Is that so controversial? Is that 'constant negativity' or just an honest assessment of the signing made?

You make reasonable points but fundamentally for every 'chancer turned good' there are 'proven player turned good. I genuinely wasn't being that negative.

It isn't strict criteria that ALL signings have to be big names, and I fell out with people last summer when they were clamouring for the 'big names' as I urged patience and a trust in the process.

Just one or two top end L2 signings are now needed to take this good squad into a promotion one. Is that so negative?

It looks like the signings I mentioned are coming.

Edited by Joe B

Why would he be decent? What piece of information can you give that suggests he won’t be a terrible bit part player. He is 26 so hardly young enough to develop.

He’s a great addition , wait till you see him play
  • Like 2

Advert:

Whitehead was allegedly on 2500 a week at Salford! I assume his deal with Salford for termination of contract was compensation for a lower wage with us. Askey clearly rates him to give him 2 years.

22 minutes ago, WilliamBriscoe said:

Why would he be decent? What piece of information can you give that suggests he won’t be a terrible bit part player. He is 26 so hardly young enough to develop.

Depends who tells you these things i guess

All I'll say about these marquee game changers is that they are a huge risk

Ajose ( injured loads ) and Maynard are out of our league, also Doyle.

What is clear is we need a forward but unless you are willing to pay silly money then it will be a journeyman type or rough diamond. 

I trust Askey 

Good signing that is. Feels so refreshing Compared to a few years ago when we were signing players like Theo Vassell and Brendan Daniels. 

Hopefully a returning Clark , young goalkeeper and a striker will be next and we can push on when/if the season starts in September.

Advert:

Unless you want to end up with players like Reg or Martin Paterson, you have to pay the going rate.

The important thing, however much you do spend,  is getting value.