onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

12 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Likely to be more sightings than signings, especially wearing gloves.

Repeat what I've said before I am surprised Maddison was released. Quite a few trialists last summer too for the Goalkeeper position. 

Got to go through the whole process again and the likelihood is it will be a person prepared to play second fiddle who are obviously hard to come by. 

I'm only speculating here but because he's relatively local it is even possible that Scott Brown could be number one for another 3 seasons .

Maybe it was mutual and Maddison knew he was unlikely to play. 

All a faff again for JA because training is not a great guide to signing a player up 

Advert

32 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Repeat what I've said before I am surprised Maddison was released. Quite a few trialists last summer too for the Goalkeeper position. 

Got to go through the whole process again and the likelihood is it will be a person prepared to play second fiddle who are obviously hard to come by. 

I'm only speculating here but because he's relatively local it is even possible that Scott Brown could be number one for another 3 seasons .

All a faff again for JA because training is not a great guide to signing a player up 

I always got the impression that Askey wasn't a huge fan of Maddison... when he signed he made a deliberate statement about "Ronnie [Sinclair] thought he was good."

I'm guessing Askey thought he was never going to push Brown and therefore wants to find someone who he thinks could one day become the first choice keeper. Wont be an easy ask.

29 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I always got the impression that Askey wasn't a huge fan of Maddison... when he signed he made a deliberate statement about "Ronnie [Sinclair] thought he was good."

I'm guessing Askey thought he was never going to push Brown and therefore wants to find someone who he thinks could one day become the first choice keeper. Wont be an easy ask.

Good point , but to be fair Sinclair ( should ) know more about keepers than JA 

No.2 keeper is always a really difficult position to fill, particularly when you've got a dominant No.1. Nobody wants to sit on the bench and unless there is an injury or serious drop off in form from Brown that is exactly where the new incumbent is going to be.
It was plain that Madison was only signed in order to fill the role because there was no alternative at the time, but what is the alternative now? No keeper worth his salt is going to want to come to spend every game in the dugout. Either Askey has a keeper in mind, or it's about freeing up a wage and bringing a young keeper in on loan and getting the parent club to fork out for the wages?

7 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Good point , but to be fair Sinclair ( should ) know more about keepers than JA 

But if the gaffer don’t rate him then he won’t play him - only played against Newcastle u23’s and JA must clearly think there is better value for money out there

9 hours ago, darren1810 said:

It must be a “faff” in these COVID days. Will the club have to pay to test any trialists  prior to joining the squad?

Under normal circumstances it’s a good opportunity to not only see a player training  in the flesh but also how the individual interacts with his peers in the squad.  Something no scouting report can show.

Just now, JRC said:

Henderson Salford and William to Cheltenham can be crossed off the list of potential strikers. Henderson getting a 2 year deal at 35 seems generous. 

Salford are spending silly money right now. However, even though they have such a high profile / expensive squad, I would still take our continuity and consistency over a squad of strangers signed over the summer trying to gel. It's perhaps even more difficult in these Covid times as it's not going to be easy for their new signings to train as a squad and quickly integrate with their team mates. 

Salford are spending silly money right now. However, even though they have such a high profile / expensive squad, I would still take our continuity and consistency over a squad of strangers signed over the summer trying to gel. It's perhaps even more difficult in these Covid times as it's not going to be easy for their new signings to train as a squad and quickly integrate with their team mates. 
Thats how I feel we have a very good squad and the fact all offered contracts has signed. This will give us an advantage over most. Squads need time to gel, so buying up new squads every year doesn't cut it.

Would have thought that Askey would have not only the players in mind but should be in talks already with the keeper/midfielder/striker to complete the squad and after the final three permanent signings that any trialists would most probably be potential loan players particularly in the positions that Clark and Taylor play inorder to have options should either or both not return on loan and to put pressure on both players and their club concerning an answer to inquiries perhaps......right having clutched those straws and while there certainly will be a couple of loan players and a decent keeper is a must both the midfielder and striker must be quality that can go straight into the first team.....players like Whitehead in midfield and say McCallum upfront say and a bit of luck with Clark and Taylor and a top three automatic promotion spot but certainly play offs next season are realistic achieveable targets....the thing is while the big spenders will be slow starters with all new players playing as strangers a strong start with points on the board and established say in the top three after a couple of months will do wonders for confidence and form while the team can really start to hit a high level of football because consistency and style along with squad spirit and cohesion and the vibe around the club from the owners to the fans all spell that this is going to be an important and significant season.

There are still a number of teams that haven't even signed a player this summer yet - I think our squad is looking good where we're at currently.

I'd say the teams that have made the best transfers "on paper" are Forest Green, Mansfield and Salford.

Luke McGee to Forest Green is a quality signing - if we didn't have Brown he'd have been someone I'd have loved at Vale! Jordan Moore-Taylor is a also a really classy signing at CB.

Mansfield have made some great signings (as they seem to do every year!) - Ollie Clarke and George Maris in midfield and Farrend Rawson at CB are excellent additions that would be first choice in most L2 teams. . I really like the signing of Rollin Menayese too from Bristol Rovers, 22yo CB, 6'3, powerful athletic defender. Like a younger Leon Legge! I'd have ideally liked us to go for someone like him as 4th choice CB to develop into the 1st team.

Salford have predictably being throwing money around again. Tom Clarke from Preston looks incredible as he's played nearly 300 games at L1/Championship level and is only 32yo. He will be partnered in defence by Jordan Turnbull, who was promoted with Northampton last season and is a quality L2 CB. Ashley Hunter is a dangerous forward - someone I liked the look of at Fleetwood and surprised me to see him sign for Salford, although money talks. Jason Lowe has a wealth of experience in the Prem/Championship and again is only 28.

As always, it depends if they click and can gel together as a team, and I know "football isn't played on paper" but I'd fully expect all 3 to finish in the top 7. 

12 minutes ago, valeparklife said:

There are still a number of teams that haven't even signed a player this summer yet - I think our squad is looking good where we're at currently.

I'd say the teams that have made the best transfers "on paper" are Forest Green, Mansfield and Salford.

Luke McGee to Forest Green is a quality signing - if we didn't have Brown he'd have been someone I'd have loved at Vale! Jordan Moore-Taylor is a also a really classy signing at CB.

Mansfield have made some great signings (as they seem to do every year!) - Ollie Clarke and George Maris in midfield and Farrend Rawson at CB are excellent additions that would be first choice in most L2 teams. . I really like the signing of Rollin Menayese too from Bristol Rovers, 22yo CB, 6'3, powerful athletic defender. Like a younger Leon Legge! I'd have ideally liked us to go for someone like him as 4th choice CB to develop into the 1st team.

Salford have predictably being throwing money around again. Tom Clarke from Preston looks incredible as he's played nearly 300 games at L1/Championship level and is only 32yo. He will be partnered in defence by Jordan Turnbull, who was promoted with Northampton last season and is a quality L2 CB. Ashley Hunter is a dangerous forward - someone I liked the look of at Fleetwood and surprised me to see him sign for Salford, although money talks. Jason Lowe has a wealth of experience in the Prem/Championship and again is only 28.

As always, it depends if they click and can gel together as a team, and I know "football isn't played on paper" but I'd fully expect all 3 to finish in the top 7. 

I do wonder what the dressing room is like at Salford:

Forwards alone, they have some big big names on some big big money and not all of them can play.

Archived