onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

robf

3 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Heard a sniff that we've had Danny Whitehead in for talks.

Probably nonsense but it's all a bit of fun over pre-season isn't it?!

Was with Askey at Macclesfield when they got promoted and was a stand out player, before not really hitting the same heights at Salford.

I'd personally be happy with that.

A good friend of mine is a Macc fan, I asked him if Danny Whitehead would be a good signing for us.

Response was

”Yeah absolute class, was far too good for the conference, only stayed there when we got promoted because Salford Offered him silly money. Would be a great signing”

Advert

39 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

Tbf Mansfield have always signed those kind of players and look at them,means nothing really

I feel that Coughlan is a better manager than either Dempster or Flitcroft. Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

I think Bolton and Salford will take stopping this year, the only question mark being on their managers.

If Evatt is half decent and Graham Alexander isn't a fraud (still undecided) then I can't see anyone in the league matching the quality of footballers they'll be putting out.

I'm usually not one for 'big name signings = good' but you can't argue with Doyle, Sarcevic, and Taft being amongst the best players of their positions in the league. 

I think they're in a tier of their own and then the likes of Cheltenham, Colchester, us, Exeter, Mansfield, Forest Green will be the next level below.

Good players don’t Always equal a good team.

27 minutes ago, soothsayer said:

I'd agree with that. I don't think Salford will get any higher than the play-offs. As for Bolton, it's a massive turnover of players etc and that may also take time to gel. I think the continuity of our squad could be a huge advantage for us at the start of the season especially with the disruption to training thanks to Coronavirus.

42 minutes ago, robf said:

I'd agree with that. I don't think Salford will get any higher than the play-offs. As for Bolton, it's a massive turnover of players etc and that may also take time to gel. I think the continuity of our squad could be a huge advantage for us at the start of the season especially with the disruption to training thanks to Coronavirus.

Hopefully we get Bolton early... let our settled organised team have a crack at their league 2 superstar collection.

1 hour ago, soothsayer said:

Mansfield must have spent a great deal of money over the past few seasons but always fallen short. The same when Notts County went down. They spent big and expected promotion but instead struggled. Money helps, of course it does, but there is a lot to be said for a solid team ethos and a togetherness. Agreed.

26 minutes ago, robf said:

Just watched back the EFL Trophy game. Salford looks a pitch that suits a particular type of player as it seems very compact. I can see why O'Connor didn't do well there. Seems more suited to get the ball up front quickly and playing a battering ram centreforward.

Maybe he's looking in the Scottish market for a striker. Nearly signed Hartley so he must have his feelers out up there.

There just doesn't seem to be that proven striker to come in and challenge in the players released in L1 and L2, especially now Matt is off the market.

18 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Heard a sniff that we've had Danny Whitehead in for talks.

Probably nonsense but it's all a bit of fun over pre-season isn't it?!

Was with Askey at Macclesfield when they got promoted and was a stand out player, before not really hitting the same heights at Salford.

I'd personally be happy with that.

Don't see this one as he's got another year on his contract. Salford probably would gladly move him on but he's likely to be on a decent wage. Would probably need Salford to give him a pay-off. I don't see him as better than a number of players released in the same position. Would think Paul Lewis is more likely if looking for a Macclesfield link:

Released

Younger

Better goals per game

Taller

More league games

Regular starter last season

9 hours ago, JRC said:

Don't see this one as he's got another year on his contract. Salford probably would gladly move him on but he's likely to be on a decent wage. Would probably need Salford to give him a pay-off. I don't see him as better than a number of players released in the same position. Would think Paul Lewis is more likely if looking for a Macclesfield link:

Released

Younger

Better goals per game

Taller

More league games

Regular starter last season

Paul Lewis does sound more promising than Danny Whitehead, for the reasons you mention. Released by Cambridge who have made two good signings as they rebuild their squad: ex-Tranmere striker Paul Mullin and ex-Championship 6'4" midfielder Paul Digby (formerly of Barnsley and Ipswich). There are a lot of good players out there as clubs reduce their wage bill. Let's hope JA can land Jake Taylor on loan or find us someone else with goals.  

It's going to be very competitive next season.

Archived