Transfer Rumours Pre-Season

I wouldn't count on Palmer ending up in league 1 tbh.

Good shout with boyle but there will be a lot of players available and we will be in a good position to entice players we wouldn't of thought possible before,our reputation in the game right now is very very good. I agree Smith will be off but we cant begrudge him that,been a good servant to us Brisley has a few years in him still and Legge probably enough legs for next season,we will get to see how Crookes plays at CB and will bring in another I am sure of that.

Would love us to get Clark in either on loan again or permanent,him and Gibbons as attacking full backs would be fantastic.

• Like 1

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Nothing wrong with getting just a little carried away at the moment,  as long as we all remember that it's The Vale we're talking about. But then again this is the New Vale and it feels amazing,  even

People make me laugh on this website , slagging a player off who wants to play for port Vale while lording over Maynard who doesn't . Seen his you tube interview where he states he and the club are in

Posted Images

Joe you do realise Varney is about 56 ?

Not getting the Palmer love in myself either, looks a cumbersome lump to me. 

Stood out in a bang average Crawley team but did very little previously 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Joe you do realise Varney is about 56 ?

Not getting the Palmer love in myself either, looks a cumbersome lump to me. 

Stood out in a bang average Crawley team but did very little previously 

Hence, I only offered Nouble as a genuine target. Varney is undoubtedly still a good forward (7 in 23 last season, 14 in 35 the one prior), but obviously we won't be pursuing him at 37.

1 hour ago, werstayinup said:

I wouldn't count on Palmer ending up in league 1 tbh.

Good shout with boyle but there will be a lot of players available and we will be in a good position to entice players we wouldn't of thought possible before,our reputation in the game right now is very very good. I agree Smith will be off but we cant begrudge him that,been a good servant to us Brisley has a few years in him still and Legge probably enough legs for next season,we will get to see how Crookes plays at CB and will bring in another I am sure of that.

Would love us to get Clark in either on loan again or permanent,him and Gibbons as attacking full backs would be fantastic.

I think Clark demonstrated, in his limited minutes, that he's already better than League 2; he was the best player on the pitch in nearly every game, on the opposite side to his natural position.

Would be very surprised if he returned.

Regarding Soule(just using him as an example) I do think we will get a couple of gambles so to speak in to bolster the squad along with a couple of decent players as well but if they turn out like Burgess then fair play.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Hence, I only offered Nouble as a genuine target. Varney is undoubtedly still a good forward (7 in 23 last season, 14 in 35 the one prior), but obviously we won't be pursuing him at 37.

I don't think Nouble would be a target as a main striker - maybe as a 4th striker and 4th winger. Askey was pretty clear at the start of last season that he wanted 4 strikers but having 4 out and out strikers hemmed in his options a little.  All 4 of Archer, Pope, Cullen and Bennett were really players who played through the centre. That always left one/two without a strong shout of getting game time. 

Nouble is decent enough. He was appalling in the 3-0 and didn't look up for it along with his team mates.

Can't judge him on that alone though but possibly wages an issue although I get players have to lower their sights 

45 minutes ago, Andy Proctor said:

We will probably sign that ironside from macclesfield if hes out of contract. 

All Macclesfield players are out of contract. Campbell put together a decent side I think would have finished top half but for finances, deducted points and players walking away. Ironside would be a good shout as a 4th striker. Not the biggest but Legge and Smith struggled to handle his holdup play.

Correy O'Keefe, who was their righback, has been released by WBA. He might be an option as cover for Gibbons.  

8 hours ago, Joe B said:

I'm fairly confident Smith won't sign.

Even with the current situation, a lot of League 1 clubs are still in a position to sign players, and signing a 24 year old with over 250 professional appearances, top levels of consistency, and a near flawless injury record is a no-brainer.

The good news is that Legge played every minute this season just gone, and, a few clumsy mishaps aside, was still a good defender. Brisley was pretty good in his half-dozen games, with a MOTM performance away at Northampton, so can clearly contribute if needed.

I still thin, after the forward position, a longer term option at centre back is a necessity. Legge and Brisley will both be in their 30s. Crooks is still young, and feels like more of a centre back than a left back, but isn't ready yet.

Some released options: Krystian Pearce, George Taft, Nathaniel Knight-Percival, Nathan Pond, Luke Prosser, Will Boyle, Harry Davis

Obviously Pond and Pearce are getting on, and Prosser is 31.

I think Taft or Boyle are the pick of the bunch; both in their mid 20s with a lot of games under their belt. Cheltenham fans want to keep Boyle and he might yet receive a contract offer if they sort their finances out with this playoff fiasco, but right now he will become a free agent at the end of June and can start negotiating with other clubs.

Boyle is the same age as Smith, didn't play loads this season due to the form of Cheltenham's exceptional back three, and would be a perfect fit alongside Legge, ahead of Brisley. He's 6"3, and captained them in the last game before lockdown against us.

I'll confess I'd never heard of Boyle before, but a quick Wikipedia scan shows he was signed by John Askey at Macclesfield in 2015 from Huddersfield so there could be a connection there...!

Good height, good age and experience - he's from near Leeds to so may welcome the chance to move closer to home?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, valeparklife said:

I'll confess I'd never heard of Boyle before, but a quick Wikipedia scan shows he was signed by John Askey at Macclesfield in 2015 from Huddersfield so there could be a connection there...!

Good height, good age and experience - he's from near Leeds to so may welcome the chance to move closer to home?

It looks like a good shout. Good experience in a good team at this level, good height and age. I'd be happy with him coming in.

Edited by Walka003

I think the amount of appearances he’s made and his overall performances speak for themselves. This crisis isn’t going to last forever so I think clubs will be keen to take him, all they’ve got to do is better vales  wage offer. But let’s say it’s a league 2 club that come in for him,  other than wages why would he go? Because when the promotions are sorted out for this season I think we will be one of the favourites for next season as we are IMO a club on the up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

With regard to Smith, how keen will other clubs be to sign a lad on decent money who will have to be paid in full from day one when they have no income?

You know all of those League 1 clubs desperate to finish the season because they have the cash?

Them.

Whilst most clubs will struggle, the likes of Ipswich, Sunderland, Portsmouth, P'boro will no issues whatsoever financially.

I won't be shocked if the likes of Salford sniff around either; they'd have no problems lobbing another grand onto his weekly pay.

Teams who don't have to worry about cash flow are set to benefit big-time from all this.

Smith is a no-brainer; 250 games at 24, rarely injured, very consistent, good in the dressing room, dependable, has all the intangibles that can't be taught with regards to decision-making and reading the game. He's got goals in him. He won't command ludicrous wages. Players like Smith are a precious commodity in the 3rd and 4th tier. There's no gamble; you know exactly what you're getting, and that's a very steady centre half.

Any League 1/wealthy League 2 club would be daft not to offer a contract to him. I imagine we can do little more than offer similar terms than what he had before.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, valeparklife said:

Interesting piece about Boyle in wiki: "...made his debut on 21 November 2015 when starting York's 3–2 away to Leyton Orient, in which he struggled to cope with the physicality of opponent striker Ollie Palmer."

Maybe we'll get them both.

• Like 1

I've had my eye on Jamie Soule, a lad from West Brom who led the PL2 scoring stakes for a while this season.
He went on loan to Barrow in January, but due to the form of Angus and Quigley, only managed two sub appearances amounting to 15 minutes before the postponement.
Cheltenham and Lincoln wanted him as well, so he's well-rated.

Signed him on season loan for Stockport on ChampMan. He was <ovf censored>!!!

It will be interesting to see what JA does with the fringe players this summer too.

Ryan Campbell-Gordon appears to be highly rated and seems to have all the attributes to be an attacking LB. Could he come more into the squad as a back-up if Monty is first choice? Or would a loan spell at say National League level be of use?

However, I feel a bit sorry for Dan Trickett-Smith - signed by the previous owner he hasn't seemed wanted by two managers now. I wonder if a move to a non-league side in the summer would be best for both parties?

Alex Hurst is an interesting one. He got some really good feedback for his training and performances in the friendly games and seems the sort of versatile player who could be on the bench to cover a number of positions. I wonder if he will come into the squad or whether they think he still needs to learn and a loan at a higher level  (he hasn't even appeared in the National League so perhaps a spell there) would help his development.

40 minutes ago, robf said:

It will be interesting to see what JA does with the fringe players this summer too.

Ryan Campbell-Gordon appears to be highly rated and seems to have all the attributes to be an attacking LB. Could he come more into the squad as a back-up if Monty is first choice? Or would a loan spell at say National League level be of use?

However, I feel a bit sorry for Dan Trickett-Smith - signed by the previous owner he hasn't seemed wanted by two managers now. I wonder if a move to a non-league side in the summer would be best for both parties?

Alex Hurst is an interesting one. He got some really good feedback for his training and performances in the friendly games and seems the sort of versatile player who could be on the bench to cover a number of positions. I wonder if he will come into the squad or whether they think he still needs to learn and a loan at a higher level  (he hasn't even appeared in the National League so perhaps a spell there) would help his development.

I think you are spot on with DTS and Hurst... long loan spells at the highest level possible would do them the world of good.

• Fosse69 changed the title to Transfer Rumours Pre-Season